Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:05:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Loan needed for a HD6990  (Read 2430 times)
arvinrajsinghgill (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 11:46:28 AM

Id strongly recommend you go for a few used 5xx0 cards. 5850s sell for ~$120 (or less with some luck) and will give you ~350 MH (or more with some luck), so you are looking at less than half the payback time.  Check ebay or the buy and sell section of this forum.

If you are worried about gaming, a pair of 5850s will do just fine in any modern game. Or you could look at 5870s which provide about the same MH/$ and better gaming performance.

I may be wrong in assuming this but with the 6990, I would still have a PCIE slot open, so a future addition of a card would still be possible. With 2 X 58xx series, first I would have to hunt for the card if i am getting it second hand. Then the issue of warranty comes up as most of these cards are 1 / 2 years old. To hunt it in retail outlets would be difficult as well since they don't really keep stocks on old cards and thus the ones that they have , are priced where I would be better off getting a 6990. However, I may be wrong in my assumption and you or anyone else are more than welcomed to post a correction Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 12:04:20 PM

Your board has 4  PCIe 16x slots (and a PCIe 1x) slot doesnt it? Since you lack the funds, you probably wont be filling that anytime soon. Your PSU wouldnt support anything more either, so might as well fill 2 with cost (and relatively power) efficient cards.

As for warranty, its a risk worth taking. Even if you dont get warranty, you could buy 4 58x0 cards for the price of one 6990. So even both cards fail within a year, its worth it. Mind you, you can buy used cards with warranty. I recently bought two 5870s with still 1.5 year warranty on them, and I paid just ~$125 for them. They are doing 890 MH/s combined.

arvinrajsinghgill (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 01:10:21 PM

Your board has 4  PCIe 16x slots (and a PCIe 1x) slot doesnt it? Since you lack the funds, you probably wont be filling that anytime soon. Your PSU wouldnt support anything more either, so might as well fill 2 with cost (and relatively power) efficient cards.

As for warranty, its a risk worth taking. Even if you dont get warranty, you could buy 4 58x0 cards for the price of one 6990. So even both cards fail within a year, its worth it. Mind you, you can buy used cards with warranty. I recently bought two 5870s with still 1.5 year warranty on them, and I paid just ~$125 for them. They are doing 890 MH/s combined.

My board is a MITX form board so it has only 2 16x slots and 1 4x slot. Perhaps you're right. I'm better off getting a 58x0 series card for the time being. I'll look around and try to locate the sellers.
arvinrajsinghgill (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 02:36:41 PM

My board is a MITX form board so it has only 2 16x slots and 1 4x slot. Perhaps you're right. I'm better off getting a 58x0 series card for the time being. I'll look around and try to locate the sellers.

If you are interested in some 5830s let me know. Might even be able to fly them to you.

Sure, if the price is right, I am all for it.

Sent you a PM.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 04:01:25 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2012, 12:54:24 AM by sadpandatech

Was your budget completely expended when building that ~$900 rig?
Why not start out with 2x 58xx?
Do you have capital to apply towards the card(s)?
Can you rework the payback formula to show 50% - gaming time - elec from btc earnings so we can see how much cash you will be paying out of pocket each month?
What is your source of income now to pay back the out of pocket portion?

cheers

Edit : Taking that into account, by the end of the period, the loaner would receive 90 Bitcoins by the end of 6 months. If the loaner has loaned 100% of what i am asking for, that would make him short of 10 bitcoins. As per my previous post, the loaner will receive 100 bitcoins by the end of 6 months being the bulk of the loan will be settled by the end of the 6 months. This would of course vary, depending on the interest that is imposed by the loaner.

Thank you for taking the time to answer that so thoroughly. I am confident you are sincere in your request. Now we just gotta improve that model a hair so 6 months does not kill you and the loaner. ;p

The other benefit to acquireing a 5830 or 5850 is that you can add another one in just a few months and then can later sell them to upgrade further. I think the catch some people are missing there is your location. I assume that makes it a bit harder or more expensive for shipping from other places?

Hopefully goat gave you a good offer. 2 of those 5830's would give you ~630MHs and cost 1/3rd of a 6990

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
arvinrajsinghgill (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 04:29:50 PM

Can you rework the payback formula to show 50% - gaming time - elec from btc earnings so we can see how much cash you will be paying out of pocket each month?

cheers

Edit : Taking that into account, by the end of the period, the loaner would receive 90 Bitcoins by the end of 6 months. If the loaner has loaned 100% of what i am asking for, that would make him short of 10 bitcoins. As per my previous post, the loaner will receive 100 bitcoins by the end of 6 months being the bulk of the loan will be settled by the end of the 6 months. This would of course vary, depending on the interest that is imposed by the loaner.

Thank you for taking the time to answer that so thoroughly. I am confident you are sincere in your request. Now we just gotta improve that model a hair so 6 motnhs does not kill you and the loaner. ;p

The other benefit to acquireing a 5830 or 5850 is that you can add another one in just a few months and then can later sell them to upgrade further. I think the catch some people are missing there is your location. I assume that makes it a bit harder or more expensive for shipping from other places?

Hopefully goat gave you a good offer. 2 of those 5830's would give you ~630MHs and cost 1/3rd of a 6990

Thank you very much for your post. Its no problem replying as I am learning too.

Usually shipping charges are absurd here. I could import the components from the USA but once they get here, the price difference would allow we to purchase a higher grade card. This is perhaps because computerized parts aren't taxed here so there is no benefit in importing components from around the world unless shipping charges are minimal and the unit is a second hand being sold at a very low price.

I too am waiting for Goat's offer and see if I am able to get those cards off his hands.
arvinrajsinghgill (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 03:41:37 PM

cheers

Thank you for taking the time to answer that so thoroughly. I am confident you are sincere in your request. Now we just gotta improve that model a hair so 6 motnhs does not kill you and the loaner. ;p

Thank you very much for your post. Its no problem replying as I am learning too.

Usually shipping charges are absurd here. I could import the components from the USA but once they get here, the price difference would allow we to purchase a higher grade card. This is perhaps because computerized parts aren't taxed here so there is no benefit in importing components from around the world unless shipping charges are minimal and the unit is a second hand being sold at a very low price.

I too am waiting for Goat's offer and see if I am able to get those cards off his hands.

I sent you a PM back but what I do not understand is why you would buy 2 used cards from me for $295 shipped when you can buy them locally new for $135?

Ah i am sorry. Looks like staying up late into the night has caused my calculation skills to deteriorate. I'll reconfirm the local prices and get back to you.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: