Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:41:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best router / router firmware to use with cgminer  (Read 7425 times)
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 02:52:55 PM

Hello fellow bitcoiners,

I have started to migrate over to cgminer and have found that my router cannot handle all of the extra traffic that cgminer generates. I currently have a cisco wrv210 (small business) router and wanted to get others opinions on what router and firmware you are using to handle the traffic cgminer creates. I am running 32Gh right now and it will so grow to double this so I need a pretty robust solution.

Also, if you have any cgminer specific optimizations around network traffic, I would like to hear about them also.

Best,
gigavps

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NetworkerZ

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 04:25:15 PM

What is the connection speed at the moment? How high is the throuput cgminer produces at the moment? What throuput would you need with ~60 GHash?

Greetz
NetworkerZ
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 04:32:24 PM

i don't think that wrv210 can even handle custom firmwares.

all miners behave the same way when it comes to connections. 1 constant longpoll connection + a few http GET. If i were you, i would get a high quality network switch that can handle all the persistent connections. a better internet connection wouldn't hurt either.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 04:40:25 PM

i don't think that wrv210 can even handle custom firmwares.

all miners behave the same way when it comes to connections. 1 constant longpoll connection + a few http GET. If i were you, i would get a high quality network switch that can handle all the persistent connections. a better internet connection wouldn't hurt either.

Is there specific router / switch hardware you would recommend?
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 04:42:04 PM

What is the connection speed at the moment? How high is the throuput cgminer produces at the moment? What throuput would you need with ~60 GHash?

Greetz
NetworkerZ

I am assuming you are asking about my internet connection speed? Currently it is 2Mb up and 1Mb down. I am not that skilled in network analysis and have not researched what is needed to look at the network traffic.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 04:44:40 PM

go solo?

pros:
does not generate a lot of (internet-)network traffic. only LAN traffic.

cons:
higher variance.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
grue
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 05:48:36 PM

Greetz
NetworkerZ

I am assuming you are asking about my internet connection speed? Currently it is 2Mb up and 1Mb down. I am not that skilled in network analysis and have not researched what is needed to look at the network traffic.
i'm guessing it's megabytes (not megabits) right? see if your router can log the bandwidth used + # of connections.

go solo?

pros:
does not generate a lot of (internet-)network traffic. only LAN traffic.

cons:
higher variance.
2 days per block isn't too bad.

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 06:46:33 PM

i'm guessing it's megabytes (not megabits) right? see if your router can log the bandwidth used + # of connections.

When you order Internet connection service the ISP usually provides the speed in Mb not MB.

Signature space available for rent.
despoiler

Activity: 94

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 07:22:22 PM

When you order Internet connection service the ISP usually provides the speed in Mb not MB.

Bandwidth is listed in Mb.  Storage sizes are listed in MB. 
BCMan

Activity: 535
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 09:06:40 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2012, 10:28:22 PM by BCMan

Bandwidth is listed in Mb.  Storage sizes are listed in MB.  
Usually MB means megabyte, Mb=megabit, for bandwidth as well.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MB
 And as for router I can recommend D-Link brand. Even mine cheap D-Link DIR-615 working without probs by downloading\uploading for example, torrent, with 350 connections and 5-6 MB/s.
bangra

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 10:11:27 PM

Happy with my Draytek 2820 but maybe with 60GHash it might be worth looking at having an additional connection added and load balance it all, would provide a failover also as having that much kit idling due to no internet would still burn a fair bit of power
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 10:13:12 PM

My residential connection is 6mb down & 3 mb up.You need to upgrade your connection at least.

As for hardware,I'm not familar with buisness class,sorry Embarrassed

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
NetworkerZ

Activity: 114

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 10:18:46 PM

First thing I would do is get to know how much traffic one RIG produces in 24 hours. If you get this, post it here.

Greetz

NetworkerZ
trouserless

Activity: 65

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 10:48:33 PM

Hello fellow bitcoiners,

I have started to migrate over to cgminer and have found that my router cannot handle all of the extra traffic that cgminer generates. I currently have a cisco wrv210 (small business) router and wanted to get others opinions on what router and firmware you are using to handle the traffic cgminer creates. I am running 32Gh right now and it will so grow to double this so I need a pretty robust solution.

Also, if you have any cgminer specific optimizations around network traffic, I would like to hear about them also.

Best,
gigavps

What are you seeing that leads to you think the router is the problem?  Can you describe the problems you are seeing since your switch to cgminer?  Your router has 10/100 full duplex LAN ports that according to Cisco can support 93Mb of NATed traffic (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9923/ps9929/data_sheet_c78-502735.html) which is 91Mb more than your uplink can handle ;-)  I agree with the previous posts about the uplink being the problem, not the router.

IIRC you've got a giant farm of miners...how many switches are you chaining together that eventually NAT through this one?  That may be some of the problem (routing loops, poor cables, bad crimp jobs).

I also think you might want to look into solo mining too...I'm doing calculations with my paltry 3GH/s...variance for you would not be noticeable!
grue
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 10:50:44 PM

if it's megabits, then it's too little.
First thing I would do is get to know how much traffic one RIG produces in 24 hours. If you get this, post it here.

Greetz

NetworkerZ
or use taskmanager and look at the network graph Roll Eyes

trouserless

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 11:19:42 PM

if it's megabits, then it's too little.

Greetz

NetworkerZ
or use taskmanager and look at the network graph Roll Eyes

that's the ticket...hop on the command line of one of your rigs and check the interface (sudo ifconfig).  It will look something like this:
Code:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:25:22:dd:e6:11  
          inet addr:192.168.1.221  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::225:22ff:fedd:e611/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:1617742 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1807687 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:321397347 (306.5 MiB)  TX bytes:301513754 (287.5 MiB)
          Interrupt:66 Base address:0xc000

So this system has been up for 3 days (uptime) and has sent and received roughly 300Mb, or roughly 100Mb/day running bamt.  Average that out over a day at around 1100b/s and I could sustain 900 miners on 1Mb.

What else are you running on this LAN?  A lot of chatter could fill up tables internal to the router...

What
trouserless

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 12:13:16 AM

So this system has been up for 3 days (uptime) and has sent and received roughly 300Mb, or roughly 100Mb/day running bamt.  Average that out over a day at around 1100b/s and I could sustain 900 miners on 1Mb.

100 (megabytes per day) = 0.00925925926 megabits per second per miner
Miners/megabit downstream = 1 / 0.00925925926 = ~108 miners/1mbps downstream

And that would saturate the connection, so you'd never get that. I suspect some of your traffic is the BAMT monitoring daemon or local http traffic, though.

ahhh you are so right...bitten by the old Mb/MB mistake when it clearly says "RX bytes".  thx
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 01:24:50 AM

You're most likely seeing problems with open connections / NAT tables rather than bandwidth. I'd just configure a few of your miners to act as routers as well. How many machines do you have running Linux? Linux is dead simple to configure as a router. Only a few commands and config so it starts on boot.

If you config'd one machine out of 8 to be a router then the NAT tables for that group would be reduced to only one entry on the "master" router. The master router can just aggregate the Linux routers.

Anyway, if you want something independent - I set up a miniITX board as an Ubuntu router with  Gigabit ports. It can handle huge amounts of traffic with thousands of open connections without problems. Much more than eg. my Linksys WRT54GL, which can only handle 100-200 open connections before bogging down (tested with BitTorrent).

Any spare board and an extra LAN card can be setup as a router this way.

jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 01:50:20 AM

You're most likely seeing problems with open connections / NAT tables rather than bandwidth. I'd just configure a few of your miners to act as routers as well. How many machines do you have running Linux? Linux is dead simple to configure as a router. Only a few commands and config so it starts on boot.

If you config'd one machine out of 8 to be a router then the NAT tables for that group would be reduced to only one entry on the "master" router. The master router can just aggregate the Linux routers.

Anyway, if you want something independent - I set up a miniITX board as an Ubuntu router with  Gigabit ports. It can handle huge amounts of traffic with thousands of open connections without problems. Much more than eg. my Linksys WRT54GL, which can only handle 100-200 open connections before bogging down (tested with BitTorrent).

Any spare board and an extra LAN card can be setup as a router this way.

Hey BkkCoins, I have 18 rigs right now running linux. I have two switches, which each have a port going to the router.

I also think you are correct on the open connections.

jimbit recommended tomato on a compatible router. Per the FAQ, it can handle 4096 open connections. I think I'll be doing this.

gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 02:03:29 AM

New cgminer flag for slower routers will be in new release --net-delay might solve it for free.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.msg709736#msg709736

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: