Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:54:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Better way to do paper wallets?  (Read 1429 times)
miragecash (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:26:44 AM

Ok,

This is probably wrong but it is how I do paper wallets or cold offline wallets;
1. buy an extra android phone
2. install electrum
3. transfer coins to electrum wallet
4. email the encrypted private keys to myself after writing the password to decrypt down on paper
5. print out on paper the qr codes and letter/number sequence for private codes
6. put this piece of paper in safe place.
7. turn off and pull battery of phone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:32:36 AM

You can create some nice looking Cold Wallets here, https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #arB8aYsaHkSznzVK

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 05:39:54 AM

-snip-
4. email the encrypted private keys to myself after writing the password to decrypt down on paper
-snip-

Why would you buy an extra phone if you just mail the keys around the internet anyway. True they encrypted, but you can generate an offline wallet with any old pc, no need for a new phone.

Id just get a script (preferably from github) that does the key generation for you.
#1 Download script
#2 verify download
#3 copy via (new) usb stick to old PC running a live linux from CD/DVD
#4 generate keys
#5 print
#6 keep printed keys safe

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
cookmac

Activity: 152

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:02:51 AM

Just do it with blockchain, most do this cause its easier?

I personally havent done it yet, but I tend towards this direction since blockchain is pretty known.
cahirlet

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:55:25 AM

-snip-
-snip-

Why would you buy an extra phone if you just mail the keys around the internet anyway. True they encrypted, but you can generate an offline wallet with any old pc, no need for a new phone.

Id just get a script (preferably from github) that does the key generation for you.
#1 Download script
#2 verify download
#4 generate keys
#5 print
You really have to use a printer that doesn't save cache of the printed files. They can be retrieved if you discard it.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 11:25:46 AM

You really have to use a printer that doesn't save cache of the printed files. They can be retrieved if you discard it.

Either that, flush the cache  usually there is a way - even with the big office copying machines) or use a paperwallet that requires you to write a small code by hand which makes the rest useless. I dont remember off the top of my head which generator allowed that though.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
miragecash (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:28:58 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2014, 12:42:37 PM by miragecash

Either that, flush the cache  usually there is a way - even with the big office copying machines) or use a paperwallet that requires you to write a small code by hand which makes the rest useless. I dont remember off the top of my head which generator allowed that though.

I'm not as tech savy as you guys. I'm probably just gonna take my printer out back when I'm done with it and shoot it.

Paper wallets. Up until a couple months ago when I first discovered bitcoin, a paper wallet is an origami wallet. Lol.
cahirlet

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:37:03 PM

Either that, flush the cache  usually there is a way - even with the big office copying machines) or use a paperwallet that requires you to write a small code by hand which makes the rest useless. I dont remember off the top of my head which generator allowed that though.

I'm not as tech savy as you guys. I'm probably just gonna take my printer to the gun club when I'm done with it and shoot it.

Paper wallets. Up until a couple months ago when I first discovered bitcoin, a paper wallet is an origami wallet. Lol.
Exploding it would be a better option.... Wink
miragecash (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:41:34 PM

-snip-
-snip-

#1 Download script
#2 verify download
#4 generate keys
#5 print

How?! That's why I posted this. Buying a new phone every time someone pays me some bitcoin is getting expensive and wasteful. I don't need a whole bunch of phones. I was using old android phone that people throw away BUT with the last update of Mycelium post-heartbleed, it says in red letters on the screen something like (don't remember exact wording), "Your version of android is too old. You need a newer version of android." (you need a new phone). Buying a new phone every time I get some bitcoin is gonna be too expenseive.

I don't want to use blockchain the website nor any other online website to do this. I have heard too many horror stories on this forum. I don't want to use windows to do this. I've heard too many horror stories. I use linux. Electrum and Bitcoin wallet full client are the only ones available on the repository for linux. I don't know how to use these to make a paper wallet. Mycelium directs you to make a paper wallet before you start using it.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:40:12 PM

If you want to make paper wallets without being connected, you will have to get a computer, wipe it, install linux, and never connect it to a network. Then you download the paper wallet software, verify that it is secure, and install it on your offline computer. Connect a printer to the computer and you can make all the paper wallets you want. You might as well install Armory on your offline computer, too.

Keep in mind that a wallet backup is not really the same thing as a paper wallet. Mycellium does not tell you to create a paper wallet. It tells you to back up the Mycellium wallet onto a sheet of paper. The Mycellium backup is encrypted so you don't have to go to extraordinary lengths to protect it. Just follow the directions -- write down the key, print out the back up, write the key on the backup, store the backup in a safe location.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:42:21 PM

I'm not as tech savy as you guys. I'm probably just gonna take my printer out back when I'm done with it and shoot it.

Bitcoin approved printer disposal method:
http://youtu.be/WsBB93IqJkE
miragecash (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 10:19:55 PM

What software for paper wallets? Is armory on the linux repository?

If you want to make paper wallets without being connected, you will have to get a computer, wipe it, install linux, and never connect it to a network. Then you download the paper wallet software, verify that it is secure, and install it on your offline computer. Connect a printer to the computer and you can make all the paper wallets you want. You might as well install Armory on your offline computer, too.

Keep in mind that a wallet backup is not really the same thing as a paper wallet. Mycellium does not tell you to create a paper wallet. It tells you to back up the Mycellium wallet onto a sheet of paper. The Mycellium backup is encrypted so you don't have to go to extraordinary lengths to protect it. Just follow the directions -- write down the key, print out the back up, write the key on the backup, store the backup in a safe location.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 10:31:43 PM

I generally use Bitcoin-Address-Utility by Casascius (https://casascius.com/btcaddress-alpha.zip, source at https://github.com/casascius/Bitcoin-Address-Utility), but you can also use bitaddress.org (source at https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org)

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Nagato4

Activity: 625
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 10:32:38 PM

Why don't you simply generate your paper wallet with bitaddress without internet connection?

EDIT: odolvlobo beats me. Tongue

MNDan

Activity: 287
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:26:56 AM

I recommend you go to https://www.bitaddress.org/ and create a BIP38-encrypted wallet - then you don't have to worry so much about hiding the wallet. Just don't forget your password!

This is what I am doing:

Creating and loading the wallet -

1) Save to my HD the bitaddress.org URL for generating BIP-38 encrypted paper wallets.
2) Create a LINUX LiveCD for booting from a flash drive for a fresh, offline OS.
3) Disconnect computer from the internet, boot into LiveCD, and generate my encrypted paper wallet via the bitaddress.ord URL (running standalone).
4) Save the wallet off as a PDF and also print multiple copies. Since it's encrypted, I can have a few copies and keep them multiple places and the PDF will also be available if the paper fades or is destroyed.
5) Reboot regular OS and head out to the exchange.
7) Send my bitcoin to the public key of my paper wallet, starting with a small amount and confirming it got there via blockchain.info.

Getting bitcoin back out of the wallet -

1) Using the block chain app on my android tablet, scan the encrypted private key of the paper wallet (I could also use the bitaddress.org code offline to decrypt it manually also).
2) The app will ask for the key I used to BIP-38 encrypt the private key - type in the password used to encrypt it and the wallet's bitcoin will be accessable.
3) Sweep the wallet into my blockchain online wallet.
4) Send any bitcoin that I don't want to keep online into a new paper wallet, created in the same way I created the first one (might not be necessary - see 3).
miragecash (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:37:31 AM

Casasius and Armory are not on the official repository of Ubuntu. Only Bitcoin QT and Electrum are in this repository. I've had horrible luck installing non-repository software. The last time I did it, it crashed my computer. I am not that tech savy so it is probably unwise for me to install non-repository software.

And trusting some bitcoin private key generator that is online seems not right. Is it really random? I don't know if I can trust bitaddress.org.

I have mycelium, and bitcoin wallet by andreas s on my phone.

I have electrum and bitcoin qt on my linux computer.

Is there is non-tech savy simple way to do a paper wallet or cold storage short of buying a new computer or new phone every time I want to store some coins? I think if there is an easy way that is safe for backup, bitcoin will attain mass adoption, but if it is difficult and full of pitfalls, we're screwed and bitcoin's price will continue falling.

Please help. (thanks)

I recommend you go to https://www.bitaddress.org/ and create a BIP38-encrypted wallet - then you don't have to worry so much about hiding the wallet. Just don't forget your password!

This is what I am doing:

Creating and loading the wallet -

1) Save to my HD the bitaddress.org URL for generating BIP-38 encrypted paper wallets.
2) Create a LINUX LiveCD for booting from a flash drive for a fresh, offline OS.
3) Disconnect computer from the internet, boot into LiveCD, and generate my encrypted paper wallet via the bitaddress.ord URL (running standalone).
4) Save the wallet off as a PDF and also print multiple copies. Since it's encrypted, I can have a few copies and keep them multiple places and the PDF will also be available if the paper fades or is destroyed.
5) Reboot regular OS and head out to the exchange.
7) Send my bitcoin to the public key of my paper wallet, starting with a small amount and confirming it got there via blockchain.info.

Getting bitcoin back out of the wallet -

1) Using the block chain app on my android tablet, scan the encrypted private key of the paper wallet (I could also use the bitaddress.org code offline to decrypt it manually also).
2) The app will ask for the key I used to BIP-38 encrypt the private key - type in the password used to encrypt it and the wallet's bitcoin will be accessable.
3) Sweep the wallet into my blockchain online wallet.
4) Send any bitcoin that I don't want to keep online into a new paper wallet, created in the same way I created the first one (might not be necessary - see 3).
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:44:51 AM

And trusting some bitcoin private key generator that is online seems not right. Is it really random? I don't know if I can trust bitaddress.org.
Is there is non-tech savy simple way to do a paper wallet or cold storage short of buying a new computer or new phone every time I want to store some coins? I think if there is an easy way that is safe for backup, bitcoin will attain mass adoption, but if it is difficult and full of pitfalls, we're screwed and bitcoin's price will continue falling.

You were given one and dismissed it.   How can you be sure any wallet is random?  You either review the code yourself or trust others who have.  bitaddress is no different.  The point is not to use it online but to save a copy and use it offline (possibly on a computer which has never and will never go online).

As for can you trust the randomness?  Well you could always roll some dice instead and just use bitaddress to convert it into a keypair.
How do I make a wallet using dice? What is B6?
An important part of creating a Bitcoin wallet is ensuring the random numbers used to create the wallet are truly random. Physical randomness is better than computer generated pseudo-randomness. The easiest way to generate physical randomness is with dice. To create a Bitcoin private key you only need one six sided die which you roll 99 times. Stopping each time to record the value of the die. When recording the values follow these rules: 1=1, 2=2, 3=3, 4=4, 5=5, 6=0. By doing this you are recording the big random number, your private key, in B6 or base 6 format. You can then enter the 99 character base 6 private key into the text field above and click View Details. You will then see the Bitcoin address associated with your private key. You should also make note of your private key in WIF format since it is more widely used.

miragecash (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:06:27 AM

I wasn't aware that you could use a website offline. I thought you had to be online. Not tech savvy....

O.K. I think I know what to do so correct me if I'm wrong;
1. Get a fresh install of linux on a usb stick so I don't have to buy a new computer.
2. go to bitcoinaddress.org and load the webpage on my browser.
3. unplug computer.
4. use bitcoinaddress.org to make a "paper wallet".
5. This paper wallet public bitcoin address can receive money. I can even use blockchain.info to check the funds in the address.
6. To spend this money, I can use Mycelium by clicking on the "cold storage" button to scan the public address and private key QR codes and the funds will magically appear in my mycelium app on my phone.

Is this sequence of events correct? Please let me know. I don't wanna mess it up and Houdini my funds. Thanks!

You were given one and dismissed it.   How can you be sure any wallet is random?  You either review the code yourself or trust others who have.  bitaddress is no different.  The point is not to use it online but to save a copy and use it offline (possibly on a computer which has never and will never go online).

As for can you trust the randomness?  Well you could always roll some dice instead and just use bitaddress to convert it into a keypair.
How do I make a wallet using dice? What is B6?
An important part of creating a Bitcoin wallet is ensuring the random numbers used to create the wallet are truly random. Physical randomness is better than computer generated pseudo-randomness. The easiest way to generate physical randomness is with dice. To create a Bitcoin private key you only need one six sided die which you roll 99 times. Stopping each time to record the value of the die. When recording the values follow these rules: 1=1, 2=2, 3=3, 4=4, 5=5, 6=0. By doing this you are recording the big random number, your private key, in B6 or base 6 format. You can then enter the 99 character base 6 private key into the text field above and click View Details. You will then see the Bitcoin address associated with your private key. You should also make note of your private key in WIF format since it is more widely used.

Daniel007

Activity: 122

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:52:40 PM

Ok,

This is probably wrong but it is how I do paper wallets or cold offline wallets;
2. install electrum
What do  you think about doing this blockchain? I think that is much more easier.

Tedward

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:59:58 PM

Ok,

2. install electrum
What do  you think about doing this blockchain? I think that is much more easier.

Blockchain.info has a pretty easy way of creating paper wallets.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: