Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:20:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Smartphone security  (Read 1746 times)
marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 09:23:31 AM

Wonder where a story like this would go if the guy had a substantial amount of bitcoins stolen/lost by the cops who performed the warrantless download of everything on his smartphone ....?

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp

The Michigan State Police have started using handheld machines called "extraction devices" to download personal information from motorists they pull over, even if they're not suspected of any crime. Naturally, the ACLU has a problem with this.

The devices, sold by a company called Cellebrite, can download text messages, photos, video, and even GPS data from most brands of cell phones. The handheld machines have various interfaces to work with different models and can even bypass security passwords and access some information.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
taykaypee

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 09:31:37 AM

Something very similar in California recently passed. To clarify, these laws allow police to search, analyze, harvest any and all data on your phone when you're put under "legal" arrest. I didn't read the specifics of the Michigan article you posted, but I assume it is quite similar.

Though, if your phone is password protected, they need a warrant. These days, it's absolutely retarded (in the most negative sense of the word), to not lock your cellphone.

SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 04:02:30 PM

Can anyone recommend a good encryption tool for Android phones ?

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 04:41:55 PM

This pisses me off soooooo much.

ACLU learned that the police had acquired the cell phone scanning devices and in August 2008 filed an official request for records on the program, including logs of how the devices were used. The state police responded by saying they would provide the information only in return for a payment of $544,680.

Law enforcement agents testified that requiring a search warrant before tracking criminals "will have a significant slowing effect on the processing of child exploitation leads."
Insuremeplz

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 05:27:13 PM

This is bullshit. I hate this country more and more every day.
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 05:44:53 PM

The only way out is to expicitly say "I do consent to you looking at my phone without a warrant".
Am I missing something?
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 05:46:04 PM

The only way out is to expicitly say "I do not consent to you looking at my phone without a warrant".
Am I missing something?

ftfy Wink
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 10:58:10 PM

Can anyone recommend a good encryption tool for Android phones ?
*shameless self-quote*

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 11:13:47 AM

How about if someone plugs one of these things in then the phone self wipes (obviously backed-up elsewhere) and some cheery tune pops-up for the attacker ... something like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nULKw8s061E

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2011, 11:18:07 AM

How about if someone plugs one of these things in then the phone self wipes (obviously backed-up elsewhere) and some cheery tune pops-up for the attacker ... something like

Love it.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2011, 11:27:35 AM

Love it.

Thanks for the laugh- Love it'

bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2011, 11:37:08 AM

I guess most people have a phone nowadays, but you could have a second phone for just this purpose and hand it out when requested.
With that stunning video popping up;

Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 12:29:55 PM

So, if someone takes your phone, even a thief, he can read it. Wow I... did know that already. lol.

Leaving BTC unencrypted on a device you practically throw around across countries, tables and pockets -- one must be ready to loose them, no? Isn't the whole POINT of BTC to use crypto for security instead of obscurity?

If you people really are concerned, go to Cyanogen and improve security of the OS, e.g. easy full encryption + Password on both internal and exchangeable memory, replacing the insanely broad file system permissions.

Otherwise, you might persuade the police to be nice, but then a thief takes your phone --> epic fail.
marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 02:19:20 PM

So, if someone takes your phone, even a thief, he can read it. Wow I... did know that already. lol.

Leaving BTC unencrypted on a device you practically throw around across countries, tables and pockets -- one must be ready to loose them, no? Isn't the whole POINT of BTC to use crypto for security instead of obscurity?

If you people really are concerned, go to Cyanogen and improve security of the OS, e.g. easy full encryption + Password on both internal and exchangeable memory, replacing the insanely broad file system permissions.

Otherwise, you might persuade the police to be nice, but then a thief takes your phone --> epic fail.

I think the fact you have as much respect for the cops as thieves bout says it all ...

.... they are meant to be working for us, not rummaging through people's private user-space on nothing more than a whim or some arbitrary drag-netting operation. And why so secretive and stone-walling with the ACLU request? If they are not doing anything wrong, what have they got to hide ....?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: