Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:07:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban SolidCoin  (Read 8194 times)
Syke (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 05:43:57 AM

I'm sick of this trash. Can we delete all SolidCoin-related topics? The recently released SolidCoin source code continues to violate the original software license of the code stolen from the Bitcoin project. This forum is no place for illegal activities. Especially when the license is so easy to comply with.

Let me quote it:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/COPYING
Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Bitcoin Developers

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
Version 2.04 has been released, and again CoinHunter has failed to include the required notices. This license requirement has been brought to CoinHunter's attention many times, and yet he refuses to comply with the license. Ban him and all SolidCoin threads until he complies with the license.

Buy & Hold

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 06:20:34 AM

Just ask Luke to DMCA it again...

CoinHunter

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 08:40:50 AM

SolidCoin complies with the MIT license, it's included in license.txt which is included with every download. Just because you want it to not comply doesn't change the fact it does. Smiley

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
Syke (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 09:18:34 AM

Here's the full text of license.txt:

We welcome people modifying, extending and making projects for SolidCoin. We realize people don't want to have to get permission to use, or have to release source code to their projects if they don't won't to.

HOWEVER.

The SolidCoin source cannot be used in projects which are not in close relation to SolidCoin or do not work with the project (currently defined by the project hosted at http://solidcoin.info). We reserve the right to cancel this open source license to any project which has a negative impact on the SolidCoin network or SolidCoin users.

Your projects source code doesn't need to be released if you use the source or derive from it. A credit or note about using the source code would be welcome however. Businesses and companies are also free to use the source provided all other conditions are met.

The SolidCoin name is trademarked by RealSolid. All source applicable is also copyrighted by RealSolid. The copyrights and trademarks will be handed over to the SolidCoin NPO which will be created at some point in the future.

*NOTE*
Some parts of SolidCoin are still based on the MIT licensed source code by Bitcoin, as such to check the differences in code please consult the Bitcoin code base to determine what is MIT and what isn't. This copyright applies to particular Bitcoin fragments of code within SolidCoin.

Copyright (c) 2009-2010 Satoshi Nakamoto
Copyright (c) 2011 The Bitcoin developers
Distributed under the MIT/X11 software license

For all original work in SolidCoin the following copyright applies

Copyright (C) 2011-2012 RealSolid
Copyright (C) 2011-2012 SolidCoin Developers (mtrlt, ahimoth, karmoan)

Disclaimer of warranty

Covered code is provided under this license on an "as is" basis, without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, without limitation, warranties that the covered code is free of defects, merchantable, fit for a particular purpose or non-infringing. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the covered code is with you. Should any covered code prove defective in any respect, you (not the initial developer or any other contributor) assume the cost of any necessary servicing, repair or correction. This disclaimer of warranty constitutes an essential part of this license. No use of any covered code is authorized hereunder except under this disclaimer.

As I posted previously, there is a very clear "The above copyright notice and this permission notice..." term in the original license. You can use your file editor's search function to see that the required notice is not in license.txt.

Buy & Hold
CoinHunter

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 10:43:37 AM

It clearly states the MIT license applies to original bitcoin code. People can easily determine what the MIT license is. If you have a problem with it take it to the courts to prove your claims and get damages of $0 . In the mean time keep crying a river, it's enjoyable.

Costia

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 10:51:26 AM

the license is very clear
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
it doent say you have to mention it in your license , it says you have to include it

CoinHunter

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 11:12:22 AM

it doent say you have to mention it in your license , it says you have to include it

The definition of "include" is quite loose. Like I said if you think you are right and want to win $0 because of some semantics then go ahead. SolidCoin is free software, it is open source software.

If you're worrying about such semantics I wonder why you have no real problems in your life.

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 11:18:02 AM

please bad coinhunter/solidcoin now.

include is not loose, its quite clear. include means that it needs to follow the stuff its gets included with.

why would you want to remove it anyway? its just stupid

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
CoinHunter

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 11:26:54 AM

include is not loose, its quite clear. include means that it needs to follow the stuff its gets included with.

why would you want to remove it anyway? its just stupid

Include is quite loose legally, it clearly states the MIT license applies to Bitcoin in the license.txt . What do you lose by having it your way vs having it the way it is now? You think stating something is licensed under MIT without including all of the mit license text makes it not so? It's quite laughable.

Costia

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 01:30:06 PM

it makes it less clear that the code it free for all and does not belong to you like the rest of it - which you allow to be used only for solid coin
and i think it is on purpose
nobody is going to sue you, but it is bad manners. you got the bitcoin code for free, just do what they ask. is it so hard to copy paste it?
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 01:51:58 PM

I'm confused, does us copyright law cover the entire planet?

This place isnt the place for illegal activity? what do you think it is when someone moves more than 10k via bitcoin?
oh wait there I go assuming US law is world wide.

I do find it interesting the die hard freedom folks like to ban people whom they disagree with.

shouldnt yall be able to counter solidcoin publicly without going to this centrally managed method of crying to the kings?

The whole solidcoin hate, and DMCA notices is just lame as hell, sure seems antithesis to the ideas behind the community.

mooo for rent
CoinHunter

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 01:53:20 PM

it makes it less clear that the code it free for all and does not belong to you like the rest of it - which you allow to be used only for solid coin
nobody is going to sue you, but it is bad manners. you got the bitcoin code for free, just do what they ask. is it so hard to copy paste it?

Our code does not belong to the world with no conditions. Unlike Bitcoin we put disclaimers in there to protect us legally from malicious activity. If people want to use SolidCoin code for "Good" then there is no problem, they don't even need to release the source. A malicious Bitcoin developer could release something that attacks the network and the Bitcoin developers could do absolutely nothing to remove it. If someone writes a virus for Windows on the other hand Microsoft slap the turkey on them.

In regards to your continued ridiculous claims about MIT, it is obvious as day to anyone that reads the license.txt that there is Bitcoin code used and it is licensed under MIT and copyrighted by them. Perhaps your bad manners is subjective? Perhaps another person believes its bad manners to criticize Bitcoin because some of your code is still using it. Maybe others believe it is bad manners to criticize Bitcoin at all. Some others in a dark region think it's even bad manners to use Bitcoin code at all! What you "feel" and "think" isn't necessarily reality and the quicker you realize this the better off you'll be. Satoshi, unlike the current developers, released his code under MIT because he realized Bitcoin would be overtaken by <insert the boogey man>... and a real fork like SolidCoin would be needed.

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 06:29:50 PM

I violated the MIT license, but still can't admit I did it. I just keep changing the story and hope people forget the earlier versions.

Thank you Coinhunter, that was an excellent summation.

To the mods: can we get a scammer label on these guys? I would hate for someone new to cryptocurrencies to take what the Solidcoin folks say at face value.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 06:32:45 PM

Our code does not belong to the world with no conditions. Unlike Bitcoin we put disclaimers in there to protect us legally from malicious activity. If people want to use SolidCoin code for "Good" then there is no problem, they don't even need to release the source. A malicious Bitcoin developer could release something that attacks the network and the Bitcoin developers could do absolutely nothing to remove it. If someone writes a virus for Windows on the other hand Microsoft slap the turkey on them.

In regards to your continued ridiculous claims about MIT, it is obvious as day to anyone that reads the license.txt that there is Bitcoin code used and it is licensed under MIT and copyrighted by them. Perhaps your bad manners is subjective? Perhaps another person believes its bad manners to criticize Bitcoin because some of your code is still using it. Maybe others believe it is bad manners to criticize Bitcoin at all. Some others in a dark region think it's even bad manners to use Bitcoin code at all! What you "feel" and "think" isn't necessarily reality and the quicker you realize this the better off you'll be. Satoshi, unlike the current developers, released his code under MIT because he realized Bitcoin would be overtaken by <insert the boogey man>... and a real fork like SolidCoin would be needed.

Dude. The fucking law says that "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in

you do NOT include the text
the word "include" Is not fucking "loose" atall, Here, i'll pull up a dictionary Just For You
Heres the Oxford definition, Tell me where you see the word Include, Being "loose"

Code:
1comprise or contain as part of a whole: the price includes dinner, bed, and breakfast other changes included the abolition of the death penalty

2make part of a whole or set: we have included some hints for beginners in this section

allow (someone) to share in an activity or privilege: there were doubts as to whether she was included in the invitation
Source:http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/include?q=include

By not adding the text, You break the law, And therefore, Are fully eligible for a DMCA takedown

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Syke (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 08:41:41 PM

What do you lose by having it your way vs having it the way it is now?
Why do you continue to refuse to comply with the license? It clearly states:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
The MIT license is one of the simpliest, clearest, and easiest licenses to comply with, and yet you refuse to comply. Why?

Furthermore, in the binary distribution, http://solidcoin.info/downloads/solidcoin-204-linux64.tar.bz2, not only is the MIT license not included, but even the Bitcoin copyright notice has been completely removed. Again, you are violating the license.

Buy & Hold
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 08:43:37 PM

time to dmca his ass again lol.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 08:47:21 PM

time to dmca his ass again lol.

+1

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 08:47:24 PM

This place isnt the place for illegal activity? what do you think it is when someone moves more than 10k via bitcoin?

I do find it interesting the die hard freedom folks like to ban people whom they disagree with.

shouldnt yall be able to counter solidcoin publicly without going to this centrally managed method of crying to the kings?

The whole solidcoin hate, and DMCA notices is just lame as hell, sure seems antithesis to the ideas behind the community.
//thread

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 11:22:44 PM

So your position on this is "DMCA's dont affect me because im not under US law"
How about Megaupload?

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 11:26:32 PM

//thread
+1
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: