Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:03:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchanges 5% up in the last couple of hours  (Read 1951 times)
cesmak (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:46:21 PM

All the mayor exchanges had a 5% jump in btc quotation in the last two hour (or less) why ?

Someone has some infos ?

Cheers

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
devthedev
Legendary

Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:50:14 PM

It may have been because of the Winklevoss twins saying that Bitcoin will be bigger than Facebook.
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #eXG5IM0j3IYU7DML

TimeWatch

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:58:32 PM

It may have been because of the Winklevoss twins saying that Bitcoin will be bigger than Facebook.

Heh, might be because of that Tongue Bitcoin price raised a lot too, more good words from  Winklevoss twins  Grin
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:32:24 PM

the question is: will facebook dies, or will btc takes over the world? Maybe both
Wbwallet

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:18:11 PM

Its crazy, Quadriga CX is up 75 CND$ since yesterday. How high its gonna go?
devthedev
Legendary

Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 07:41:13 PM

Look like things are back to normal.

Price is slowly going down before the jump.

It's only gone down 0.5% after the 9% jump in the last 24 hours.
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #ZdE4GkyQSpX7k8QW

Wbwallet

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 07:51:18 PM

I bought my first bitcoins 10 days ago at 470$ CND and sold today for 550$ CND, I only had 10.. Its my first experience trading and I am really excited about it!
JessyMatt

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:13:30 PM

According to Bitcoin Exchange Calculator a single bitcoin is $476.998. If this has to do with Richard Branson $30 millions investment in BitPay (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=616850.0) it's going to short live...if not, Bitcoin is about to explode.

What are your thoughts?

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
Wbwallet

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:20:35 PM

According to Bitcoin Exchange Calculator a single bitcoin is $476.998. If this has to do with Richard Branson $30 millions investment in BitPay (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=616850.0) it's going to short live...if not, Bitcoin is about to explode.

What are your thoughts?

I would not be surprised to see price going back to 430-440 within 48h. I am hoping anyway, so i can buy back and wait for next bubble.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:29:29 PM

The problem is that most people bought above this price range. As it continues to go up, people are going to cash out at their break even (or slight profit) marks.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
JessyMatt

Activity: 191

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:30:39 PM

The problem is that most people bought above this price range. As it continues to go up, people are going to cash out at their break even (or slight profit) marks.

I agree...buyers confidence is not yet established for people to hold for the long run.

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
Benjig

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:33:27 PM

Despite the occasional high-profile business failure, the fundamentals of bitcoin haven't changed - it's still a decentralized peer to peer value transfer protocol and asset register. People want a piece of that.
There has been a ton of good news overshadowed by gox. Bitcoin atms going up everywhere. Brick and morter banks/exchanges in cyprus and hong kong. And the most important chart imo is still looking good.
Also, yesterday was monday my guess is that all of the noobies are getting their accounts verified creating a spike in demand.

BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:34:06 PM

I bought my first bitcoins 10 days ago at 470$ CND and sold today for 550$ CND, I only had 10.. Its my first experience trading and I am really excited about it!

Cool.  But you may want to read about bitcoin's history of bubbles and buy back in.  You don't want to miss $5000-$6000 per coin.

The people that have made the most money are those that bought and held for a LOOOONG time.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Wbwallet

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:52:19 PM

i have bought and sold my 10 coins over 3 times in the last 10 days. profit margin between 2-4% every flip, until today. I am obviously buying back as soon as the trend is going down. Quadriga CX is great as people seem to be trding 15$ CND higher than bitstamp and prices are much more volatile than bigger exchange with higher volume.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 09:34:58 PM

The people that have made the most money are those that bought and held for a LOOOONG time.

And continue to hold.

When Bitcoin hit $1k, even I sold, but it was still 5% or less of my total holdings.

Was that a failure? I could have sold 100% and bought back in now for less than half the value!

I'm not sure the price is necessarily going up, but I would never spend more than 20% of my net worth in fiat to buy Bitcoin at once and I would never spend more than 20% of my Bitcoin to buy fiat at once. :/
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 09:38:45 PM

And continue to hold.

When Bitcoin hit $1k, even I sold, but it was still 5% or less of my total holdings.

Was that a failure? I could have sold 100% and bought back in now for less than half the value!

I'm not sure the price is necessarily going up, but I would never spend more than 20% of my net worth in fiat to buy Bitcoin at once and I would never spend more than 20% of my Bitcoin to buy fiat at once. :/

And there's the hard part. Knowing when to buy and sell. I bought a 7950 for mining (had to get a new PSU as well, so $400) when Bitcoin was $50. I could have bought 8 BTC. Instead, since that time I've mined less than 0.5 BTC, and it's already almost not profitable anymore. I essentially lost 3.5k (as of today's rate) by making the wrong choice.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:03:18 PM

I would guess not. I think momentum has been building for the price to start trending upward for awhile now.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:46:03 PM

And there's the hard part. Knowing when to buy and sell. I bought a 7950 for mining (had to get a new PSU as well, so $400) when Bitcoin was $50. I could have bought 8 BTC. Instead, since that time I've mined less than 0.5 BTC, and it's already almost not profitable anymore. I essentially lost 3.5k (as of today's rate) by making the wrong choice.

You are absolutely correct.

The trick I've found is that it is almost always more profitable to buy Bitcoin than to buy mining hardware. The only time it may be profitable to buy mining hardware is when we are on a clear downtrend in price and it is least profitable to mine, and you should only do it if you can get super-cheap mining rates or specialized hardware that gives you an edge over the large datacenter miners.

Now, this might sound counter-intuitive, but uptrends (See GPU mining in 2010, FPGA mining in early 2012) start very slowly once mining gets back into diverse hands that hold the coin instead of immediately sell it. Mining should be unprofitable for reasonably-long periods of time to revert the big-house mining (and immediate selling to cover costs) that happens and put the control back into the hands of smaller-scale operations. I suspect this trend will be necessary for Bitcoin to reach wider adoption and higher acceptance worldwide. Right now the power is concentrated into the hands of too few mining operations, so it is MORE beneficial for the price to fall and individuals operate/mine at a loss and accumulate coin.

So your question of why should you mine at a loss? To help the network and foster the right kind of miner. This topic has come up before in late 2011, and I addressed it here.
bitcoinsrus

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:23:14 PM

You are absolutely correct.

The trick I've found is that it is almost always more profitable to buy Bitcoin than to buy mining hardware. The only time it may be profitable to buy mining hardware is when we are on a clear downtrend in price and it is least profitable to mine, and you should only do it if you can get super-cheap mining rates or specialized hardware that gives you an edge over the large datacenter miners.

Now, this might sound counter-intuitive, but uptrends (See GPU mining in 2010, FPGA mining in early 2012) start very slowly once mining gets back into diverse hands that hold the coin instead of immediately sell it. Mining should be unprofitable for reasonably-long periods of time to revert the big-house mining (and immediate selling to cover costs) that happens and put the control back into the hands of smaller-scale operations. I suspect this trend will be necessary for Bitcoin to reach wider adoption and higher acceptance worldwide. Right now the power is concentrated into the hands of too few mining operations, so it is MORE beneficial for the price to fall and individuals operate/mine at a loss and accumulate coin.

So your question of why should you mine at a loss? To help the network and foster the right kind of miner. This topic has come up before in late 2011, and I addressed it here.

c'mon guys, my 500 ghash miner can get me BTC0.0284 every day.  And I might break even in 80 days....assuming I get a block....and the difficulty doesn't change.  Wink

knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:27:48 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2014, 07:28:00 PM by knightcoin

Heh, might be because of that Tongue Bitcoin price raised a lot too, more good words from  Winklevoss twins  Grin

reminds that facebook market captalizations is 152.54B ... and we ..

http://blockchain.info/charts/market-cap

Tongue

FB is 25 times bigger ... people invest in something because the potencial ROI ... I do agree that the whole bitcoin ecosystem can be bigger than that ... just look how big linux community became ...

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: