Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 09:40:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Education is a right or is more like a priveledge  (Read 2091 times)
zolace (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:14:05 PM

Just wanna know any thoughts on this. I think is both at times, but depends on the factors of it

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:23:23 PM

Education is a right only if you or your family can provide it to yourself. So, going to school as a kid when your parents aren't either footing the bill (w/o charity or scholarship) nor paying enough taxes to cover your share is a privilege at the behest of the rest. Public Schools are day prison babysitting camps that teach basic level curriculum, compliance and socialization rather than independent, critical thinking.

So to recap,
"A Right is a moral principle defining and sanctioning man's freedom of action in a social context. There is only one fundamental Right and that is the right to life. All other rights are corollaries of the former."

"Thus, for every individual, a right is the moral sanction of a positive—of his freedom to act on his own judgment, for his own goals, by his own voluntary, uncoerced choice. As to his neighbors, his rights impose no obligations on them except of a negative kind: to abstain from violating his rights."

Ayn Rand
zolace (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:31:14 PM

If you give a man a fish he is hungry again in an hour. If you teach him to catch a fish you do him a good turn.  Grin

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:43:11 PM

The both. It's a right to improve available capabilities and a privilege to develop new skills.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:51:10 PM

education is a right because it benefits humanity the more you have it. less crime if you are more educated.
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:51:44 PM

Govt provided anything is not a right. Rights exist without a govt's involvement.
But if the govt provides an education, everyone should have equal access to it.

umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:00:11 PM

Govt provided anything is not a right. Rights exist without a govt's involvement.
a buddy of mine got his GI Bill for my military service and got his Bachelor's Degree in Political Science from the University of Colorado at Denver. he still haven't used his degree. While we debate education as either a right or privilege, we must not neglect the fact that people that have Bachelor's Degrees pushing brooms. What is the use of education past the high school level is the question that I ask. Why do you need a right to a Bachelor's Degree when you will be just as unemployed or underemployed in this economy as everyone else with a Bachelor's Degree?

Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:01:27 PM

if you want a decent education you have to pay for it.

you can adopt abrahamic bigot doctrine for free

education was free up until a couple years ago when the internet got cia'd and all the good shit got deleted
itsmeram

Activity: 212
Merit: 104

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:01:35 PM

It's a necessity. To generalize who gets what education, and to standardize the way in which all people are educated; that is where things get tricky.

Anything "privileged" means that only a select or elite should be allowed in. Should we really be deciding who does and does not receive an education? Sure, knowledge is power... but only dependent on how someone uses that knowledge. Perhaps we should be focused less on what people are learning, and instead teach how to better use the knowledge they receive. But that would involve creative thinking on the parts of those already traditionally educated. And creativity is not taught. Only tools to express that creativity. Which again brings us to the decision of HOW to teach, and who should learn such things.
zolace (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:05:13 PM

if you want a decent education you have to pay for it.

you can adopt abrahamic bigot doctrine for free

education was free up until a couple years ago when the internet got cia'd and all the good shit got deleted
the education is still shitty even if you pay for it

bunch of fucking lies

take economics for example

you can do a phd in that shit, and it is all based on fundamentals which are complete

science and medicine is the same shit, lobbyists and shills encouraged to release fakescience, doctors peddling poison pills etc

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
rockyram

Activity: 295

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:07:53 PM

Education should never be considered a privilege. Education is a right that should be promised to every single man and woman in this world
noviapriani

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:09:38 PM

a buddy of mine got his GI Bill for my military service and got his Bachelor's Degree in Political Science from the University of Colorado at Denver. he still haven't used his degree. While we debate education as either a right or privilege, we must not neglect the fact that people that have Bachelor's Degrees pushing brooms. What is the use of education past the high school level is the question that I ask. Why do you need a right to a Bachelor's Degree when you will be just as unemployed or underemployed in this economy as everyone else with a Bachelor's Degree?
Well that simply isnt true, the unemployment rate for people with degrees is much lower than high school only. Underemployment is certainly an important issue, especially the first couple of years after the recession. But even then you are still better off with a degree for the most part.

noviapriani

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:11:25 PM

If you give a man a fish he is hungry again in an hour. If you teach him to catch a fish you do him a good turn.  Grin
Force a man to undergo 12 years of public education and incentivize him squander another half a decade of his life obtaining a BA and he may reach his mid-20s never having learned to fish.

The take home point: regarding education as a right != "teaching a man to fish."

zolace (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:17:17 PM

Most people (who choose to) can read faster than a teacher/professor can speak. I recognize that in some circumstances and under certain paths, institutionalized education needs to be continued past the eight grade, high school, and even into post graduate classes.

However, many people do not need it.

While I am not a welder by trade, I learned basic welding in 8th grade. I still weld. I continue to learn about the newest trends in welding by reading and watching videos produced by expert welders.

It costs me nothing other than an internet connection. I can throw a mean tight bead, that any production welding shop would be proud to present to their clients.

Education is really up to the individual

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:21:30 PM

Associates level education is currently an investment that will soon be a right, provided through necessity.

Bachelors level education and beyond is currently and for the foreseeable future will remain an investment. A poor investment will yield poor results, results may vary, bla bla.

Investments are privilege, and state funding is the equivalent of a right. I don't think you will ever see the enshrining of rights to a specific education.

arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:20:29 PM

Force a man to undergo 12 years of public education and incentivize him squander another half a decade of his life obtaining a BA and he may reach his mid-20s never having learned to fish.

The take home point: regarding education as a right != "teaching a man to fish."

Have to agree here.

Public education is more like a "welfare" to teachers and administrators than it serves the purpose of educating the young.

practicaldreamer

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:57:55 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2014, 07:39:13 AM by practicaldreamer

Educational qualifications are the currency of the job market. I think this is an inefficient means of allocating human resources. Some of the cleverest most adaptable and creative individuals I have ever met have very few qualifications.

You can't buy a job, but you can buy an education - and that is an inefficient way of going about things.

Regarding rights/privileges - I'm not sure of the difference so I can't answer that question. But I will say that learning is fundamental to human beings - the question should be to what extent is that natural capacity (to learn) fostered/encouraged - and to what degree is it stifled ?

Read a great book once - "Teach Your Own", by John Holt. He said - "Which is the smarter ? The elephant fending for itself in the jungle, or the elephant that has been taught to jump through hoops in the circus?"

Educational establishment places too much emphasis on jumping thru hoops IMHO.

Ivan Illich is interesting too in regard education.

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:05:10 PM

It's a privilege, because most often it depends on your birthplace. If you're born in South Korea, you'll get excellent education, but you won't get much if your birthplace is in Tanzania.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 12:06:09 AM

I sincerely hate the idea of living in a society in which most people are uneducated. However, do not confuse the ability to memorize facts with the ability to know what to do with them. I say that enough education to teach you skills that makes you employable should be a right (if only because I believe that everybody should have the right to opportunity for useful employment -- "opportunity" being the key word) but the ability to get into an Ivy League school is a privilege.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:16:20 AM

A right is an excuse to steal from others (unless it's property rights, more aptly named "property".)  If your "right" involves forcing people to do anything against their will, you have to make a moral decision:

1. "People have the right to not be stolen from, attacked, or enslaved."
2. "People have the right to steal, attack, and enslave for 'social good', the definition of which is at public discretion."

So, how is a "right" to education theft?  Well, it revolves around either of these two concepts:

A. Teachers should work for free
B. Society should be forced to pay teachers

To have a right to education means people will become educated at any cost; it's like saying you have a right to own a house, the economy doesn't respond to this whatsoever, it doesn't mean anything except for an intent to steal from home-owners or from the public to build everyone a home at the taxpayer's cost.  There is no possible way to have a "right" to a house which doesn't involve forcing individuals of a market to act in a different way with the threat of violence.  We must either mug the teachers or the public to pay for a person's "right" to education, and since mugging teachers severely cuts the amount of teachers we'll have in an economy, we typically opt for the 2nd option, as it's more subtle; people don't notice a few dollars and cents added and taken from their purchases and income, though it amounts of a very big number over time.  This way, we can overpay for really awful schools and allow colleges to overcharge several times for tuition just so we can work at a substandard job.

But never to fear: people who advocate a right to education can solve this problem simply!  All they must do is become teachers and give away classes themselves, thereby ensuring anyone who wants an education can receive one; for some reason, I sincerely doubt anyone who actually thinks this way is willing to adhere to their principles.  Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for the right to a civil society...

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: