Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 05:33:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling XMPP hosting for your domain  (Read 3564 times)
singpolyma (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 04:39:11 PM

I am selling XMPP hosting for domains.  1 BTC/month

This service allows you to have one or more addresses you@yourdomain.tld that are on the XMPP/Jabber network.  This is the same network that GTalk is on, and you will be able to chat with GTalk users from your accounts.

Unlimited accounts per domain.

TLS supported, but you must provide your own cert.

Server will run the latest version of Prosody.im

Discussion/questions on this thread are appreciated.  Please send any orders to xmpp-hosting@singpolyma.net
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nodemaster

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2011, 07:02:19 PM

Sounds interesting. Here are my questions:
  • Is a Domain included (if so which TLDs) or is it nessecary to redirect A-Records to your server?
  • Is it possible to use IM Gateways to other IM Systems with Prosody.im and do you offer such a gateway?
  • How is your server connected to the internet?
singpolyma (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 07:15:29 PM

• Is a Domain included (if so which TLDs) or is it nessecary to redirect A-Records to your server?
  • Is it possible to use IM Gateways to other IM Systems with Prosody.im and do you offer such a gateway?
  • How is your server connected to the internet?

Good questions!  Some of this I mean to cover in the OP.  You must have a domain (or subdomain, or whatever.  You can get a free one from co.cc if you don't want to pay $10/yr for a domain).  If people are interested in proxy-registering domains for BTC I could offer that as a seperate service.  You do NOT, however, need to point your A records at my server.  You can host your domain primarily anywhere else you want, you only need to add some SRV records to your DNS to tell it where the XMPP server is.  In this case the records to add are:

_xmpp-client._tcp 900 IN SRV 5 0 5222 singpolyma.net.
_xmpp-server._tcp 900 IN SRV 5 0 5269 singpolyma.net.
_jabber._tcp      900 IN SRV 5 0 5269 singpolyma.net.

It is possible to use gateways.  I do not currently run the gateways, but if that's something people are interested in I could look at it.  I do know some servers offer the gateways publicly, so you could at very least use those even with your account being on my server.

My server is a dedicated box from iWeb living in their data centre on the Montreal Island in Canada with a 10 Mbps ethernet connection to their infrastructure.
wolever

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 02:20:42 AM

Just got my account, after 30 minutes of tinkering around everything seems to be workings. Thanks.

(full disclaimer: singpolyma and I know each other from meatspace)
JackSparrow

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 07:27:19 AM

Which connections would be TLS encrypted? s2s or server2client? Why do I have to provide my own cert, can't you just generate one?
singpolyma (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 02:00:38 PM

Which connections would be TLS encrypted? s2s or server2client? Why do I have to provide my own cert, can't you just generate one?

c2s would be TLS for sure.  s2s would be TLS if the other server supports it.  I could turn on forcing s2s tls for your domain if you want, but then you can't connect to servers that don't support it.

I could generate a self-signed cert for you, but those aren't very useful imho.  I could run my own CA, but I don't really have a good reason to bother.  startssl or cacert will get you one for free
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 12:12:41 PM

Never got it how XMPP works. Can I use a client like Pidgin, and if I own mydommy.com to talk to people on Yahoo, Gtalk, MSN using an account like wobby@mydommy.com?

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
singpolyma (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:31:23 PM

Never got it how XMPP works. Can I use a client like Pidgin, and if I own mydommy.com to talk to people on Yahoo, Gtalk, MSN using an account like wobby@mydommy.com?

You can get wobby@mydommy.com and use it to chat with people on XMPP/Jabber services (like GTalk, Livejournal, and probably someday soon Facebook and AIM).  You can use "transports" to talk to legacy services like MSN, but that requires an account with the legacy service so there is no real advantage over just using your accounts on those services directly in Pidgin.
theboos

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 07:43:37 PM

Apart from unlimited users, how is this any better than Google Apps for Domains, which offers 50 users?
singpolyma (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 09:32:05 PM

Apart from unlimited users, how is this any better than Google Apps for Domains, which offers 50 users?

Maybe you want features Google Apps doesn't give you (like server side chat room bookmarks or full control over your vcard or server side logs that you can export properly or whatever else you want pretty much.  I can run a lot of different modules if you want).  Maybe you don't trust Google or don't trust servers in the states.
singpolyma (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:41:45 PM

Based on current BTC values, I'm changing the fee to 0.1BTC/month
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: