Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:48:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nanominer - Modular FPGA Mining Platform  (Read 18886 times)
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 09:49:42 PM

I think I found the product:)

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=139&No=593&PartNo=1

Cool little device!!!!!

So wondermine,you will have the miner interface for this?? What a great idea!!! I'll pitch some coins your way for the interface when you show results Smiley

Hopefully they will have a warranty,no other FPGA offered has any warranty except BFL Sad

I cant justify $500+ with no recourse for repairs or exchange if something breaks due to no fault of my own.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 06:44:12 AM

This thread was locked, but I couldn't figure out why— no closing message nor anything I could find in the staff forum. People complained to me so I've unlocked it. I apologize if I've missed something obvious. Cheers.
ummas

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 07:38:22 AM

@gmaxwell
Thx ! I cant wait to see those screens of nanominer working !! Smiley
This should be verry intresting.

Correct me if i`m wrong: 2mhash/1$ ? nice Smiley
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 10:06:26 AM

Apologies for originally calling "scam" on this project.

I am tempted to help out. The DE0 nano seems like a great entry level FPGA. If I can get 30MHash or so out of it I will definitely purchase some.
Jabba

Activity: 109
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 10:48:38 AM

As like many of us don't have much time to spend on going through huge configuration and testing sessions I would like to ask if there will be a 'out-of-the-box' version for us dummies?

Just plug into USB or whatsoever and go!

Jabba

Best Masternode Investment - https://club.getnode.io/?r=P618k4919
Costia

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 11:32:56 AM

This thread was locked, but I couldn't figure out why— no closing message nor anything I could find in the staff forum. People complained to me so I've unlocked it. I apologize if I've missed something obvious. Cheers.

on the site they promise 75MHASH from a device that so far was able to give just 25MHASH
looks suspicious to me...
wondermine (OP)

Activity: 59

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 02:03:35 PM

I know it sounds a little funky, but there are a number of optimizations I've been able to achieve, and of course that quoted number *is* an estimate, it may be lower but that still provides us with new levels of FPGA power in BitCoin mining.
Addidionally, the DE4 is a monster that is only partially fulfilling its potential.  When a second iteration of nanominer comes out, I'll implement DSP cores on the higher-end FPGAs and that will give incredible performance leaps.
I'll assure everyone that the project is in full swing, and I've had some donations, so hopefully in the near future I'll put up some screenshots.  Any delay is because I'm literally writing everything, including the SHA-2 core, from scratch.
I'll keep the thread updated, and I'm always happy to answer questions, just PM me.

And special thanks to all those who have donated, it's not in vain.

Sincerely,
Glendon aka "wondermine" aka "nonverba"
(could I get my forum name changed to "nonverba"...?)
torusJKL

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 02:43:41 PM

Sounds like an interesting project.

Why do you ask for $10 when using PayPal or 3 BTC?
With PayPal after fees (3.5% + ~$0.60) you'll get a bit more then $9.
Whereas 3 BTC have currently a value of ~16.50.

Wouldn't it be better to reward BTC payers and not punishing them?

And how do you plan to verivy who as donated while only providing 1 Bitcoin address?

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:01:28 PM

As like many of us don't have much time to spend on going through huge configuration and testing sessions I would like to ask if there will be a 'out-of-the-box' version for us dummies?

Jabba

i second this.
Intention

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:05:18 PM

Jabba

i second this.
I believe that on his webpage you can pre-order a DE0 Nano pre-configured however I would wait until there is more progress.  You're best bet is supporting the project through donations/whatever before ordering one and realizing it won't be ready for a bit then being mad about having to wait so long. (See BFL for example)

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:07:58 PM

this forum needs a scams sub forum - so all the confirmed scams can be moved there

There is a reason that we don't do this.  If we were to shuffle threads we think are scams into such a section, users might not do their own due diligence because they are under the false impression that we are looking out for them.  Or worse, that we could actually know about all of the scams before they came across them.

No, sorry.  Cavet Emptor.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
wondermine (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:57:28 PM

Jabba

i second this.
I believe that on his webpage you can pre-order a DE0 Nano pre-configured however I would wait until there is more progress.  You're best bet is supporting the project through donations/whatever before ordering one and realizing it won't be ready for a bit then being mad about having to wait so long. (See BFL for example)

All of this is exactly right. 
The project's not ready yet but I will sell preconfigured, prebundled hardware (accepting preorders now).  It'll be a matter of following a few simple instructions, then plugging it into USB.
And you're welcome to donate and wait on progress, I have some good leads that might allow for a working module (not perfect, but hashing at a decent rate) over the next week or so.  More to come.

---

As far as the amount to donate, you're right, if you'd like to donate BTC email me and I'll give you your own address to donate to.
The amount is up to you, if you have 1BTC or even 0.5 lying around, every bit helps!!! This will be open software when it is finished so don't worry about your contribution not entitling you to a license.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 06:05:23 PM

I'd like to see how this turns out.That nano USB FPGA miner looks like a good replacement for my Old GPU (I plan to cash in).I also like the 3.6GHash/s FPGA but thats too pricey.Maybe you can extend your range and add a medium powered FPGA (not too weak,not to pricey),plus give academic discounts (as I work in an academic type place) if possible.I wonder if it's possible to create a PCI/PCI-E version where I can just slot it in to my PC (make it PCI-E x4 or something so I don't need extra power plugs) with a straight forward interface (and no install controller type app that lets me mine straight away and just give pool and login details).

Thanks.
Keep up the good work OP :-)

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
wondermine (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 06:38:14 PM

Additionally, I was thinking that if people would like to "chip in" and buy a DE4 among a couple of people, I could help arrange that for people.  I've been speaking to Terasic about possible deals.  You can email me if youre interested in buying part of a DE4 (that is to say, part of 3.6GH/s+).  Just a thought, I haven't worked out logistics but this might be a good way to do it..?  I'd just make the arrangements for y'all to meet, maybe somewhere to run it from since DE4s require subscription software to program.  I dunno, again, just thoughts.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 06:49:50 PM

Additionally, I was thinking that if people would like to "chip in" and buy a DE4 among a couple of people, I could help arrange that for people.  I've been speaking to Terasic about possible deals.  You can email me if youre interested in buying part of a DE4 (that is to say, part of 3.6GH/s+).  Just a thought, I haven't worked out logistics but this might be a good way to do it..?  I'd just make the arrangements for y'all to meet, maybe somewhere to run it from since DE4s require subscription software to program.  I dunno, again, just thoughts.

I like this idea but instead of a DE4 (large PCI-E board),I wonder if someone could 'chip in' for a nano USB version of the FPGA miner (75MHash/s but still a very big boost for my laptop as I do research on there as well as mining) which I can then test as I wish to get into FPGAs as long as the software required is free and easy to program with.Thanks.Of course it'll be silly to expect people to hand me a sample for nothing so I'll make it worthwhile for people If I'm chosen (like write a review of it,do tests in situations that I'm typically in,benchmark it in someway,find new ways to run it,e.t.c).Just thoughts like the previous poster.

Does the Nano FPGA have a small amount of memory to store settings when the power is off.Does this require extra cooling (passive/fan cooler) as well? Can a small overclock be applied (I don't want to go crazy with the OC as I do research as well as I don't want a fried piece of silicon).

norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 06:51:38 PM

Why do you ask for $10 when using PayPal or 3 BTC?
With PayPal after fees (3.5% + ~$0.60) you'll get a bit more then $9.
Whereas 3 BTC have currently a value of ~16.50.

Wouldn't it be better to reward BTC payers and not punishing them?

The idea of donating is that it's an optional payment to support the developer.... he's not punishing anyone.
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 06:59:33 PM

wondermine,

which version of the DE4 board are you referring to?

and how much does it consume?

regards.

spiccioli
Azelphur

Activity: 43

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 07:06:28 PM

Additionally, I was thinking that if people would like to "chip in" and buy a DE4 among a couple of people, I could help arrange that for people.  I've been speaking to Terasic about possible deals.  You can email me if youre interested in buying part of a DE4 (that is to say, part of 3.6GH/s+).  Just a thought, I haven't worked out logistics but this might be a good way to do it..?  I'd just make the arrangements for y'all to meet, maybe somewhere to run it from since DE4s require subscription software to program.  I dunno, again, just thoughts.

wondermine,

which version of the DE4 board are you referring to?

and how much does it consume?

regards.

spiccioli

This one it's linked on wondermines page
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 07:17:53 PM

This one it's linked on wondermines page

Azelphur,

do you know how much power does it use? 

three thousand bucks is not so pricey given a 7970 is around 550 USD and gives around 600MHs.

if this one is 6x a 7970 in MHs but uses 1/5th of that power it would be a good card to mine on.

best regards.

spiccioli
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 07:41:31 PM

Well, if you can reach 75MH/s from Cyclone IV 22k then big congrats, you are a FPGA god. Chip itself costs something around 35$ (144 QFP easy to solder) + PCB and some parts 15$ = 50$. Thats better result than Spartan6 LX150 widely popular over here. With a 500$ you can easily build board with 10 chips and 750MH/s. Quiet nice... if its true of course...

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: