Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:49:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin transfer fees?  (Read 1361 times)
bitkilo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 06:17:39 AM

First of all I'm no computer wizz so maybe its something I'm doing wrong but I always read articles that say it only costs a tiny percentage to send bitcoins, today I sent $0.05 from my blockchain wallet to a different wallet I have just as a test and it cost me $0.11 in fees, WTF, and I thought banks were ripping me off.

"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:19:59 AM

You probably sent a lot of tiny coins. Bitcoin transaction fees are calculated based on the storage space taken by your transaction on the blockchain.

Bitcoin transaction fees are based on how many bits it takes up, NOT based on the amount. If you send $10 billion and the size of the transaction is the same, the fee will still be your $0.11.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:46:17 AM

Bitcoin transaction fees are not "a tiny percentage", as they're not a percentage of anything. The fee is independent of the amount transacted. Also remember that Bitcoin is a global payment network that does not distinguish between domestic and international transactions. I guarantee that your bank will not let you send $0.05 by international wire for less than $0.11 in fees. Wink

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
bitkilo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 06:52:49 AM

OK thanks for the tip, but how can I reduce the storage space my transaction takes up on the blockchain and therefore reduce the fees I pay?
I just did the transaction using the send coins menu in my wallet as I thought the cheapest way would b pre set if possible for not so smart people like myself.
Bitcoin transaction fees are not "a tiny percentage", as they're not a percentage of anything. The fee is independent of the amount transacted. Also remember that Bitcoin is a global payment network that does not distinguish between domestic and international transactions. I guarantee that your bank will not let you send $0.05 by international wire for less than $0.11 in fees. Wink
. Your right if I wanted to send $0.05 from my bank they would probably charge me $5

BunsenBurner

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:26:18 AM

OK thanks for the tip, but how can I reduce the storage space my transaction takes up on the blockchain and therefore reduce the fees I pay?

The tx size (in KB) depends on the number of inputs and outputs in the tx.
You would have a smaller tx size if you have less inputs (eg. don't fill your wallet with tens of dust inputs) Smiley

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:44:05 AM

You can try using an offchain wallet.
PerrythePlatypus

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:32:58 AM

Offchain wallet requires trust on the third party. Isn't recommended unless you trust the thirdparty. Bitcoin is meant to be decentralized. Look what happened to inputs.io  Roll Eyes.
Pobre

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

HEy Hey HEY??

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 01:34:21 PM

If you want to reduce the transaction fee, you can simply set your transaction fee to 0, but this will result in the increase of time taken by the transaction to get confirmed, and sometimes the tx doesnt even gets confirmed without any tx fee. Its recommend that you pay the required tx fee for your transactions.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
↑ UpDown.BT ↓  Bet on Gold/Oil/Currencies like a Boss ↑ [Thread] ↓
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Pobre

HEy Hey HEY??

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 01:36:15 PM

Please dont suggest newbies using the third party wallets like offchain, we all know how inputs.io took away 4100+ BTC of their users.

PerrythePlatypus

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 01:38:22 PM

First of all I'm no computer wizz so maybe its something I'm doing wrong but I always read articles that say it only costs a tiny percentage to send bitcoins, today I sent $0.05 from my blockchain wallet to a different wallet I have just as a test and it cost me $0.11 in fees, WTF, and I thought banks were ripping me off.

If you got 0.001 bit coins, make coinbase your hot wallet(place small amount of bit coin) they do help you pay your transaction fees for sending 0.001 bitcoins and above.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 02:51:23 PM

read up on http://bitcoinfees.com/

the default transaction fee is 0.0001 BTC (0.1 mBTC) so that's about 5 cents. if there are a lot of small inputs from many addresses, the size of the transaction will be larger, thus requiring a higher fee than usual.

yes this is a problem with bitcoin, it becomes difficult to send microtransactions.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 02:55:22 PM

read up on http://bitcoinfees.com/

the default transaction fee is 0.0001 BTC (0.1 mBTC) so that's about 5 cents. if there are a lot of small inputs from many addresses, the size of the transaction will be larger, thus requiring a higher fee than usual.

yes this is a problem with bitcoin, it becomes difficult to send microtransactions.

The min fee to relay (there is no such thing as default fee) is 0.01 mBTC in v0.9 (that is 0.5 cents) for LOW PRIORITY TXS.  The min fee to relay high priority txs is zero.   The size of the transaction is what matters.   The OP most likely has a bunch of worthless dust spam he got from "free bitcoin" sites.
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 04:02:17 PM

The OP most likely has a bunch of worthless dust spam he got from "free bitcoin" sites.

Very likely. And many people spending time on faucets don't consider that at all.
Not only faucets pay very little bitcoin, the cost to spend those dust inputs are very high. Smiley
horstman

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 06:44:03 PM

faucets are nice for starting/testing, but you wont get any good amount of coins out of it
fatguyyyyy

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

Bitcoin Mixer: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 09:56:21 PM

Its why most transactions I do, I try to send a large amount, so I dont have to pay the fee.

The fees actually kill you in the long run, if you are sending micro payments

Eg: 0.001 or below

But there are a few that dont charge anything.. so if anyone knows a few.. list them?

scarsbergholden

Activity: 686

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:09:45 PM

This is why BTC is not good for micro transactions. Fee is not based on % of what you transact. So it is actually extremely cheap to send large amounts of money.

drugo

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 06:57:12 AM

Actually bitcoin isn't good for micro transaction, especially if your inputs are considered dust (lower than 5640 satoshis)
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:22:05 AM

I have no problem in paying small amounts as the transaction fee. But what will happen when transaction fee sometimes gets to more than 100% of the original amount? And there is no way to find out how much will be the transaction fee, before we sends the coins.

krishatnet

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:45:12 PM

he default transaction fee is 0.0001 BTC

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Pobre

HEy Hey HEY??

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 01:17:03 PM

he default transaction fee is 0.0001 BTC
Well the default transaction fee is not 0.0001btc, its just an amount that is generally sufficient for making tx, but sometimes to prioritize your tx the blockchain.info sometimes automatically cuts 0.0002btc or more as a tx fee.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: