Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:35:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 1-post locked threads  (Read 2508 times)
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 02:46:09 PM

So the SolidCoin folks have been creating 1-post locked threads announcing stuff.

Putting aside how you feel about SolidCoin, I wonder what other people think about that practice in general.  It seems to me to go against the purpose of "Forums" -- seems to me the whole point is discussion.  If you don't want discussion, then buy an ad or publish information on your website.

Seems to me locking threads should be a last resort instead of "I'll just lock every thread I make to keep out the trolls."

I'm going to lock this thread now because I think some people will disagree with me.
(KIDDING, JUST KIDDING)

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 03:38:34 PM

I was thinking about that myself earlier when I checked that forum, it bothers me too seeing a bunch of locked threads with 0 replies. With CH doing it three times in the past two days alone, just seems like they're gonna keep doing it unless something is done. 

A locked thread with no replies is useless to a discussion forum and should be deleted. Shouldn't be made in the first place actually, warn then ban IMO.   

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 03:46:11 PM

A locked thread with no replies is useless to a discussion forum and should be deleted. Shouldn't be made in the first place actually, warn then ban IMO.   
Righto, mr Bear.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 03:47:20 PM

I see it that they are just using those 1 post locked threads like free advertising.  Hoping to fool 0.1% of Bitcoin traffic to prop up their dying experiment in centralized control.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 03:51:43 PM

Even Atlas wasn't that desperate to pitch a bad idea.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 03:53:42 PM

This is serious! We need to prepare for the Bitcoin collapse!
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 04:29:14 PM

Just repost a copy of the thread with '[unlocked]' added to the title.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 04:33:53 PM

I know that they don't work as advertising, because I've never seen one.  That said, our forum, our rules.  The Solidcoin guys are here only at our pleasure, so if they want to advertise here they can buy ad space to support the forum or go start their own forum.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 04:44:04 PM

Would it be possible to make thread locking available for mods only? I feel like 99% of locked threads are inappropriate. If someone is trolling, shutting down the thread is a great way to feed them.

Alternatively:
Righto, mr Bear.
+1
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 04:58:36 PM

I, as well, wasn't even aware of them until I read this thread, so at the moment, I don't think they've crossed the line into spamhood. Cablepair did the same thing for a while before giving up on it and I believe the SC folks will probably come to the same conclusion soon enough - it's a pretty ineffective method of advertising if that was the intended purpose.

Still around.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12865

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 08:18:55 PM

I don't have a problem with them unless they get annoying. Sometimes they are useful for announcements.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
RaggedMonk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 08:36:23 PM

Would it be possible to make thread locking available for mods only? I feel like 99% of locked threads are inappropriate. If someone is trolling, shutting down the thread is a great way to feed them.

I support removing the ability to lock for general users.  I would say only mods or paid "premium" users (or whatever you call them) should be able to.
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 08:39:44 PM

Everything looks shipshape....what collapse, pray tell, are you speaking of oh wise Terry?

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 08:43:29 PM

Everything looks shipshape....what collapse, pray tell, are you speaking of oh wise Terry?
The imminent Bitcoin collapse, Mr. Dragon.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 08:58:17 PM

If we can't have them removed as the unnecessary and unwelcome waste of bandwidth that they are, can we have a notification system implemented and a select cadre of users who have the ability to go in, unlock the thread, heap abuse on them, and then re-lock the thread?
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 09:04:56 PM

The imminent Bitcoin collapse, Mr. Dragon.

I think I'll stick with the more popular currency here....solidcoin does not seem to be the popular kid to hang out with on this campus.

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 09:11:33 PM

I support removing the ability to lock for general users.

me too. this is the first forum on the whole internet that i've seen that even allows it.
same with deleting one's own posts.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 12:37:57 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2012, 01:29:21 PM by BadBear

I, as well, wasn't even aware of them until I read this thread, so at the moment, I don't think they've crossed the line into spamhood. Cablepair did the same thing for a while before giving up on it and I believe the SC folks will probably come to the same conclusion soon enough - it's a pretty ineffective method of advertising if that was the intended purpose.

Cablepair! I was thinking of him when I writing my first post initially but couldn't remember the name so I didn't mention it. That annoyed me too but he stopped soon enough and didn't do it that often when he did.  If he were still doing it I probably would have made this thread myself a long time ago.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 01:21:05 PM

I've posted on the issue before, about Cablepair when he did it a lot, and I'm definitely against it.  Gavin makes a good point in saying that posting a thread then insta-locking kind of goes again the reason of putting it on a forum.

I think the removing of users' ability to lock threads is a good idea, if it really is a thread that needs locking they can always report it to a mod/admin.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 04:40:21 PM

If we can't have them removed as the unnecessary and unwelcome waste of bandwidth that they are, can we have a notification system implemented and a select cadre of users who have the ability to go in, unlock the thread, heap abuse on them, and then re-lock the thread?

We have them, they are called mods.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: