Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:14:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Importing private key back-up into Bitcoin-QT  (Read 2267 times)
clochard (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:47:34 PM

Well I only copied the wallet.dat file which was a small file.

It is supposed to be much bigger though? There had only been one transaction, when I imported a bunch of bitcoins I still had online on MtGox last October to my Bitcoin client. Afterwards I immediately made back-ups on multiple usb's copying the wallet.dat file.

So this file cannot be correct?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 03:09:07 PM

A single transaction won't make much difference to the file size, but in either case if Bitcoin-Qt is 15 weeks behind and the transaction was made more than 15 weeks ago, it definitely should be displayed. So I'm guessing something's gone horribly wrong somewhere... Don't panic, wait for it to finish synchronising, then close and restart with -rescan (wallet backups are supposed to work without a rescan, but in this case it doesn't seem to be doing what it's supposed to), and if it still doesn't work, resume panicking, I guess. Undecided

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 03:11:59 PM

The file itself is 72kb of size.
So, it didn't actually contain any transactions at the time you made the backup? That explains a few things... Nothing to do but wait until it finishes synchronising and (hopefully) your transactions will start appearing one by one. If not... didn't you say you have multiple backups? You really ought to be trying the most recent (or largest) file first.
The wallet.dat doesn't include transactions. Just the address. (transactions are in the blockchain)

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
clochard (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 03:29:31 PM

Guys I fixed it! Apperently with windows 8 it saved the peers.dat and wallet.dat files in another place than with 7 and vista, so I copied the wallet.dat in the wrong folder and that is why I could not see them in the Bitcoin client. Now I am still lagging behind 7 weeks, but the transactions are there at least.

Quite a relief I should say.

I was already thinking, what on earth could have gone wrong...

Thanks for all the help! Really appreciated Smiley

Best,

Clochard
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:01:04 AM

The wallet.dat doesn't include transactions. Just the address. (transactions are in the blockchain)
Of course it does. The blockchain's currently about 16GB. You think Bitcoin-Qt reads the entire blockchain every time it needs to display a transaction? Try this: close Bitcoin-Qt, remove everything from the data directory except wallet.dat, then restart. All your transactions are still there (albeit unconfirmed), even though the blockchain is gone. So how does it know?

Guys I fixed it! Apperently with windows 8 it saved the peers.dat and wallet.dat files in another place than with 7 and vista, so I copied the wallet.dat in the wrong folder and that is why I could not see them in the Bitcoin client.
Wait a minute. You said you removed the empty wallet.dat that was created by the new Bitcoin-Qt installation? So how could you have been using the wrong folder the whole time? That doesn't... ah, never mind. Glad you fixed it in the end.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
turvarya

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 05:58:36 AM

Of course it does. The blockchain's currently about 16GB. You think Bitcoin-Qt reads the entire blockchain every time it needs to display a transaction? Try this: close Bitcoin-Qt, remove everything from the data directory except wallet.dat, then restart. All your transactions are still there (albeit unconfirmed), even though the blockchain is gone. So how does it know?

That is just not true. I downloaded the blockchain 3 times. The Transaction are not shown in Bitcoin-QT until it has downloaded the blockchain to the Point, where the Transaction was made.
Have you tried what you suggest your self? I don't think so.

Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:19:17 AM

That is just not true. I downloaded the blockchain 3 times. The Transaction are not shown in Bitcoin-QT until it has downloaded the blockchain to the Point, where the Transaction was made.
Have you tried what you suggest your self? I don't think so.
I have. Several times, in fact. I've no idea why it's not working for you. Irregardless, transactions are stored in the wallet. What do you suppose the -rescan and -zapwallettxes options are for?

clochard (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:18:43 PM

Okay guys, new problem, new question Sad

I tried to send my Bitcoins today from my Bitcoin client to electrum, but it requested a password. On the old Bitcoin wallet I had a password that I wrote down and I have used and it worked.

When I installed the new Bitcoin client, I felt a bit insecure and put a new password on it. I typed it twice and wrote it down and I am pretty sure that it is correct.

Today when I was going to transfer the coins, I was confused which password I had to use. So I have tried them both multiple times, but the Bitcoin client keeps repeating that it is the wrong password.

What is happening here? Both passwords I am more than 100% certain about.

Many thanks!

Best,

Clochard
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:22:15 PM

Okay guys, new problem, new question Sad

I tried to send my Bitcoins today from my Bitcoin client to electrum, but it requested a password. On the old Bitcoin wallet I had a password that I wrote down and I have used and it worked.

When I installed the new Bitcoin client, I felt a bit insecure and put a new password on it. I typed it twice and wrote it down and I am pretty sure that it is correct.

Today when I was going to transfer the coins, I was confused which password I had to use. So I have tried them both multiple times, but the Bitcoin client keeps repeating that it is the wrong password.

What is happening here? Both passwords I am more than 100% certain about.

Many thanks!

Best,

Clochard

If you are sure it's same, try with caps,without caps or if you used special characters that are on numerical keypad, try numbers, sometimes due to bad keyboard people enter 2 instead of @

Oh btw, if you have old wallet backup, you can use that one.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:27:03 PM

there is normally absolutely no need for a rescan when restoring a wallet backup.

Really?

Odd.  I thought a rescan was often necessary after restoring a backup.  I'll have to search through threads and see if I can find evidence of that.

It was needed at one time.  It hasn't for some time now.  The wallet file maintains a copy of all txs it knows and it also maintains the block height (and best chain hash) of the last block it saw.  With those two pieces of info the wallet can update itself by just checking all "new" blocks. I can confirm this works as expected.  I use it on an almost daily basis.  Now the older the backup the more blocks it will need to parse but this will always be less than a full rescan and often it will be significantly less. If the backup was from yesterday it only needs to scan one day's worth of blocks instead of four years.

As for why do people keep recommending -rescan? I don't know.  Urban legends never die?   The only time a rescan should be needed is if something "breaks".   Now that you know you can join the fight against superstition and false solutions. Smiley
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:34:02 PM

As for why do people keep recommending -rescan? I don't know.  Urban legends never die?   The only time a rescan should be needed is if something "breaks".   Now that you know you can join the fight against superstition and false solutions. Smiley

Thanks, will do.
clochard (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:45:49 PM

If you are sure it's same, try with caps,without caps or if you used special characters that are on numerical keypad, try numbers, sometimes due to bad keyboard people enter 2 instead of @

I tried already capslock and stuff, but nothing is working. Should I now be using my old password btw, or the new one that I put yesterday?

And I do still have the old back up. Does this mean that if I remove this Bitcoin client from my pc and I install a new one it will use my old password that I used to have? Because in that case, that would be the solution Smiley

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Clochard
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:55:31 PM

I tried already capslock and stuff, but nothing is working. Should I now be using my old password btw, or the new one that I put yesterday?

And I do still have the old back up. Does this mean that if I remove this Bitcoin client from my pc and I install a new one it will use my old password that I used to have? Because in that case, that would be the solution Smiley

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Clochard

You don't need to reinstall anything,

Open this folder C:\Users\*UserName*\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin
Rename your current wallet.dat to wallet1.dat and then copy paste your old wallet.dat in same directory.

Once you have done that, your old password will work and you need to rescan it one by using -rescan option.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:58:27 PM

you need to rescan it one by using -rescan option.

Apparently not.  (See the discussion from this thread)
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 05:01:19 PM

you need to rescan it one by using -rescan option.

Apparently not.  (See the discussion from this thread)

Yeah just checked, he already did that I guess.
clochard (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 05:35:38 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I changed the name of the wallet.dat to wallet1.dat and I imported the old back-up wallet.dat to the folder and restarted the Bitcoin client.

I typed my old password to do a transaction, but it is still not working...

And I have used that password before, I have it here on a paper in front of me, and now it does not work anymore...

What the heck!?

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks!

Clochard
turvarya

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:04:07 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I changed the name of the wallet.dat to wallet1.dat and I imported the old back-up wallet.dat to the folder and restarted the Bitcoin client.

I typed my old password to do a transaction, but it is still not working...

And I have used that password before, I have it here on a paper in front of me, and now it does not work anymore...

What the heck!?

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks!

Clochard
You could write it in an Editor(Notepad) where you see it and not just *'s and copy it to be sure, you typed it right.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: