Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:19:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are the d-bags that reverse transactions?  (Read 1169 times)
GreenLamp (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 05:25:13 PM

After seeing all the problems people have with trading via PayPal and CreditCards, I'm wondering how the scammers operate.

Are most of them using stolen cards/accounts, or are most of them people using their own accounts to be major douches?

The reason I ask is because this would make a major difference in how you go about trying to prevent scamming.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 05:47:11 PM

After seeing all the problems people have with trading via PayPal and CreditCards, I'm wondering how the scammers operate.

Are most of them using stolen cards/accounts, or are most of them people using their own accounts to be major douches?

The reason I ask is because this would make a major difference in how you go about trying to prevent scamming.

Both.  Pretty easy to get buy a list of thousands of compromised account numbers.  Some scams are even part of organized crime. 

The other side of the problem exists too.  It is called "friendly fraud" but there is nothing friendly about it.  Given the amount of real credit card fraud pretty easy for someone to claim they didn't order X especially for products which don't have physical delivery.
forceuser

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 02:38:03 AM

I don't even know if you can reverse transactions anymore, I lost $320 when I got scammed out of buying 100 Bitcoins. They said they couldn't give me my money back for an electronic transaction.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BB2MP9B2kNsjAV6NEpzC1HLwGQrnhcD3nA
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 03:41:22 AM

I don't even know if you can reverse transactions anymore, I lost $320 when I got scammed out of buying 100 Bitcoins. They said they couldn't give me my money back for an electronic transaction.

They reverse it for scammers, but not for legit users. Wink

(BFL)^2 < 0
kais3r

Activity: 85
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 10:46:01 PM

yes, this happened to me too. I thought my loss was bad, but i only lost 80.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: