Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:20:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter Schiff comes round to bitcoin - EuroPac now use bitpay / btc for PM's  (Read 1641 times)
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 03:16:42 PM

Serial bitcoin sprayer Peter Schiff has, commendably, done a 180 and now accepts bitcoin as payment for PM's.

http://blog.europacmetals.com/2014/05/euro-pacific-precious-metals-now-accepts-bitcoin/

This is a fine example of someone formerly so staunchly opposed to bitcoin / blockchain tech accepting crypto's merits

Interesting to note in the blog post how CC fees and slowness of transfer were part of the reasoning..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
E-C.Guru

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 03:39:48 PM

A bit offtopic perhaps but:

The gold price is said to be manipulated by people selling "paper"-gold. Which means, people own gold as an investment on the paper but don't actually hold it themself. And then supposedly the big holders are selling a lot more gold than they actually have thus keeping the price down.

I've listened to hours of Peter Schiffs radio and other talks n rants but I just realized - isn't he one of them?

Or is his company actually shipping out physical gold to their customers?
zeetubes

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 03:48:32 PM

Schiff sells allocated gold certs which are held in the Perth Mint in australia. So they are actual gold bars but I don't think he deliver an actual physical bar to you.
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 961

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 03:57:56 PM

thing is, he has been outspokenly anti bitcoin for a while, calling it ponzi scheme, pyramid scheme etc.

its good to see him coming around.
Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:02:56 PM

thing is, he has been outspokenly anti bitcoin for a while, calling it ponzi scheme, pyramid scheme etc.

I don't think he called it a ponzi or whatnot. He simply thinks it is overvalued due to speculation and little usage. Moreover, he fears that merchant adoption will drive down the price. And obviously he thinks it is not as secure as gold..

Overall, he's not a hater but more of a skeptic.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 04:20:09 PM

I don't think he called it a ponzi or whatnot. He simply thinks it is overvalued due to speculation and little usage.

It is overvalued, no question. The bulk of its price today is driven by speculation rather than utility. This is neither good nor bad, it is just true.

Moreover, he fears that merchant adoption will drive down the price. And obviously he thinks it is not as secure as gold..

I think he is trivially wrong here. But I'd rather deal with a sceptic than a fan boy any day of the week - they are at least more rational Smiley

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:29:39 PM

I don't think he called it a ponzi or whatnot. He simply thinks it is overvalued due to speculation and little usage. Moreover, he fears that merchant adoption will drive down the price. And obviously he thinks it is not as secure as gold..

Overall, he's not a hater but more of a skeptic.

He didn't call it a Ponzi in the "these people are pump and dump fraudsters" way, but he definitely called it a bubble, one in which he felt early adopters would reap riches leaving later market entrants holding the bag.

I'm a Schiff fan, but even the great ones get it wrong sometimes. The nice thing is usually great ones also don't have a problem admitting when they are wrong.
Dalmar

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:40:54 PM

He didn't call it a Ponzi in the "these people are pump and dump fraudsters" way, but he definitely called it a bubble, one in which he felt early adopters would reap riches leaving later market entrants holding the bag.

I'm a Schiff fan, but even the great ones get it wrong sometimes. The nice thing is usually great ones also don't have a problem admitting when they are wrong.

That was at or near the peak of the November bubble, which was technically speaking a bubble if you look at what price has done since then.

Bitcoin wasn't really on his radar before that and since prices have come down he hasn't been as negative about it.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:52:57 PM

That was at or near the peak of the November bubble, which was technically speaking a bubble if you look at what price has done since then.

Bitcoin wasn't really on his radar before that and since prices have come down he hasn't been as negative about it.

Nearly any market can experience bubbles. Peter didn't feel Bitcoin was a legitimate asset where holders could recover losses upon popping of bubbles because there was no there there. He warned against it as such.

EDIT: Here is Peter actually debating Stefan Molyneux over it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFcTJAQ7zc4
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:16:02 PM

Or is his company actually shipping out physical gold to their customers?
Schiff sells allocated gold certs which are held in the Perth Mint in australia. So they are actual gold bars but I don't think he deliver an actual physical bar to you.

I have bought physical gold bullion coins from his company, shipped to me via registered mail.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
BitPappa

Activity: 431
Merit: 261

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 05:20:11 PM

I believe Peter Schiff has called Bitcoin a Ponzi scheme. He's been interviewed about Bitcoin often (can anyone claim to have heard every interview?). I think it was on the Ed & Ethan podcast (LTB network).

Also, one does not have to believe in Bitcoin to accept BTC using a payment processor like BitPay, if you actually receive fiat in your bank account.

As much as I'd love to say he's seen the light, I don't think we can say that… yet…

acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:36:24 PM

I believe Peter Schiff has called Bitcoin a Ponzi scheme. He's been interviewed about Bitcoin often (can anyone claim to have heard every interview?). I think it was on the Ed & Ethan podcast (LTB network).

Also, one does not have to believe in Bitcoin to accept BTC using a payment processor like BitPay, if you actually receive fiat in your bank account.

As much as I'd love to say he's seen the light, I don't think we can say that… yet…

In the video I linked above where Peter is debating Stefan he calls it a scam. He says it in a quick, lighthearted way, but does use that word.

I agree he's probably looking more at the profitability side of Bitcoin right now, but at the same time I'd say his thinking has changed some. He was previously saying people would, in his estimation, get hurt by Bitcoin. He said this was unfortunate because he shared a lot of philosophical ideals with people in the Bitcoin community. People like Peter know their stances and rhetoric can have wide ranging impact since they have a large audience.

I don't believe Peter would become involved with Bitcoin if he still felt people would in the most likely case be hurt by it.
btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:44:13 PM

His opinion probably hasn't changed much.

He's most likely thinking along the lines of "Well hey if these guys want to buy my products with bitcoin and I can convert it to cash through Bitpay... well hey that's fine with me!".

He will probably do another clip in a few weeks mocking the fact only 2 people wanted to buy gold and pay using bitcoin.
AMVM

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:04:00 PM

His opinion probably hasn't changed much.

He's most likely thinking along the lines of "Well hey if these guys want to buy my products with bitcoin and I can convert it to cash through Bitpay... well hey that's fine with me!".

He will probably do another clip in a few weeks mocking the fact only 2 people wanted to buy gold and pay using bitcoin.

+1

Exactly.
It would take several hours of reading / hearig for this guy just to start to understand how BTC works. I've seen a couple of his criticism videos and most of it is pure ignorance (non rational jiber jaber).
So I agree with you that this news have nothing to do with Peter changing his point of view.
Balls

Activity: 338

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:07:56 PM

I wonder what made him change his mind and do a 180?
waldox

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 07:19:25 PM

i think the recent bitcoin price drop and then stability changed his mind regarding bitcoin as a pump and dump

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 08:43:24 PM

....... If he makes Euro Pacific bank accept Bitcoin I think I am going to orgasm.
tuneman1980

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 09:11:48 PM

"It's a means of payment that allows us to complete the equivalent of credit card transactions, but with a much more efficient process and with a much lower fee,"

They say this, but still don't think that bitcoin will amount to anything?

http://cryptocoinstats.com/

BTC: 19YQqtEdtuWhT6nk6ArBgMTiKMEjoJ5eww  LTC: Li1RLpZm8Rx7txSnQdvZvtLMsd4XDN2vMJ  FTC: 6qAU4vtyf9LPW4yV4m4Vx1jm4ZkXJHTFP7
aztecminer
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:41:34 PM

a certificate is a piece of paper which is the same thing as not owning any gold at all. a person has to be able to tell the difference between a piece of paper and a gold bar or coin. there is a big difference. the piece of paper means that you may or may not get your gold when TSHF and you ask for it. they could just do like the comex if it runs out of gold soon and settle you in cash....or worse just not give you anything.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 09:50:44 PM

This guy shot down crypto all these times, and now crawling back to it. He still doesn't even have full understanding of it, so I'm curious what triggered him to flip around.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: