Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:55:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Free FTP server  (Read 727 times)
vm1990 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:31:30 PM

Thinking about setting up a FTP server that's open to everyone. Would be able to access it via ftp and tor
Would ask for donations in btc, ltc, or a number of all coins.

Anyone interested in the idea of and free open ftp site that you donate to, files that have a donation will be the last to go as the drives fill up.

Just an idea for now but if there's interest I'll make it happen

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:39:58 PM

Thinking about setting up a FTP server that's open to everyone. Would be able to access it via ftp and tor

The idea is very good, I think this could work. I dont know how you can keep it 'free' trough only donations tho. It really depends if the users will pay  Smiley Possibly some users would store very large files but not pay anything. I think its better a system where you pay a small fee to upload a file.

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:48:48 PM

Anyone interested in the idea of and free open ftp site that you donate to, files that have a donation will be the last to go as the drives fill up.

I'm lost as to what the point of it is. There are tons of free file hosts already. Is it just because it's easier to upload/download via FTP, or did you have another reason/purpose?

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Initscri

Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 08:22:30 PM

Would each "donation" entail a provided new login for the donor, or would everyone share the same login to FTP?

Like said above, unless there is a specific reason to use FTP, most would just go to a free file host.

----------------------------------
Web Developer. PM for details.
bluelithium

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:53:26 PM

I believe u can host it on http://BestHostFree.com ...for details, please check => https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=617213.0

rhino34567

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:54:09 PM

I don't see why anybody would use it over other options such as Mega, Box, or Dropbox. Maybe if you elaborate a little more there could be a reason.

I believe u can host it on - snip -  ...for details, please check => - snip -
Advertising much? That is not even relevant to the thread.

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:23:00 PM

I don't see why anybody would use it over other options such as Mega, Box, or Dropbox. Maybe if you elaborate a little more there could be a reason.

I believe u can host it on - snip -  ...for details, please check => - snip -
Advertising much? That is not even relevant to the thread.

Do u think a blunt DropBox hosting will bring in donation or serve any other purpose ? This requires a proper web hosting site where FTP is free for a customized product.

Initscri

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 11:45:49 PM

Would each "donation" entail a provided new login for the donor, or would everyone share the same login to FTP?

Like said above, unless there is a specific reason to use FTP, most would just go to a free file host.

What country is it in? An attraction would be to be able to upload shit most other file hosts wouldn't tolerate.

Which would essentially turn any legitimate users away.

vm1990 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:46:17 AM

What country is it in? An attraction would be to be able to upload shit most other file hosts wouldn't tolerate.

Good point but if there was a demand for it then I would simply create 2 servers one for shady shit and 1 for more legit users
Most of you are asking why both, the main reason is I'm sick and tired of having pitiful limits on file sizes like 100- 500MB which makes uploading large files a pain in the ass
It would be located in the EU on very fast connections  the server its self will be around 1TB to start with and when it starts to get full older files will deleted after 30 days and files that have a donation will last 60 or more days depending how popular it becomes

all free users get access to a public user and password but donations will have the option to have there own user and login

And if I manage to get a lot of customers I have an ability and contacts in enough data centres to make the likes of drop box connection look like there hosting on dial up...

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:50:34 AM

And if I manage to get a lot of customers I have an ability and contacts in enough data centres to make the likes of drop box connection look like there hosting on dial up...

Sure thing, I am sure you have "an ability" and more contacts than Amazon S3.
vm1990 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 09:08:46 AM

Sure thing, I am sure you have "an ability" and more contacts than Amazon S3.

Drop box didn't have access to all of Amazon's s3. Yes its very powerful but what are the odds that Amazon will kick all users off there service just to accommodate drop box. I'd only need around 1 percent of Amazon's power to match and beat Dropbox

Initscri

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 09:12:33 AM

Good point but if there was a demand for it then I would simply create 2 servers one for shady shit and 1 for more legit users
Most of you are asking why both, the main reason is I'm sick and tired of having pitiful limits on file sizes like 100- 500MB which makes uploading large files a pain in the ass
It would be located in the EU on very fast connections  the server its self will be around 1TB to start with and when it starts to get full older files will deleted after 30 days and files that have a donation will last 60 or more days depending how popular it becomes

all free users get access to a public user and password but donations will have the option to have there own user and login

Then why not simply create a "Larger" file host with larger limits. It would give you the right to control who accesses the data, and put security in place so other users could not simply view other users files.

vm1990 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 09:19:54 AM

I might up doing that but for now I'm just trying to gauge interest in it

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:08:38 AM

Well, probably u r trying to do ur project from a noble perspective, but I'm giving it a look from devil's perspective. If I get a free system like this with unlimited upload/download option with no fare resource policy, I'd ask my friends to upload movies & games to it and I'll download it from here. Will u be able to pay for the BW from your advertisers money, when thousands of devils like me start showing love to your service ?

vm1990 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:17:27 AM

Well, probably u r trying to do ur project from a noble perspective, but I'm giving it a look from devil's perspective. If I get a free system like this with unlimited upload/download option with no fare resource policy, I'd ask my friends to upload movies & games to it and I'll download it from here. Will u be able to pay for the BW from your advertisers money, when thousands of devils like me start showing love to your service ?

There is a little hidden agenda behind that. It will be fully unlimited no upload download caps at all just the maximum line speed. The idea is part 1 of 2 it will cost me short term hence why I'd like donations but long term I'll earn money from it as the data centres will be able to get large bandwidth amounts at cheaper price per gb , never know if it really gets going we might even reach infamouse T1 status

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: