Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:48:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CIA "paying spooks" with bitcoin  (Read 4009 times)
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 08:17:25 PM

Evidently the CIA has been recently ‘paying spooks’ with bitcoin. We all know that Gavin had a presentation on bitcoin in June of 2011 at CIA headquarters.

I know Gavin, I met him in the New York City bitcoin conference. We spoke briefly however didn’t discuss this topic.

That part was fully disclosed.

However the recent stability of bitcoin pricing might not actually be all speculators and private investors.

http://www.tribbleagency.com/?p=8341

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 08:19:23 PM

this has trollbait written allover it Wink

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 08:27:54 PM

you put 2 + 2 together and tell me what it adds up to.

1 - CIA expressed interest in Bitcoin, inviting developers to speak at their headquarters.
2 - Freaking anyone would love to take credit for inventing this technology,  but "Satoshi" remains autonomous.

You tell me.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 08:29:33 PM

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have come to expect this kind of behaviour from my government. I'm just curious as to what other comments will follow mine...lol

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 08:33:09 PM

There isn't a single line in the article that even points to any facts that the CIA is doing this.  No evidence.  Not even an anonymous source.  The title should be "CIA could possibly maybe be paying spooks with bitcoin".  The current title is a flat-out lie, given the content of the actual article.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 08:36:02 PM

I think there is a lot greater potential with bitcoin to keep governments from being able to fund wars.  

Yes it is always a problem that when you give people greater freedom that "bad" people will be able
to do "bad" things easier.  But that is never an excuse to deny basic freedoms to everyone.  
the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 08:40:40 PM

There isn't a single line in the article that even points to any facts that the CIA is doing this.  No evidence.  Not even an anonymous source.  The title should be "CIA could possibly maybe be paying spooks with bitcoin".  The current title is a flat-out lie, given the content of the actual article.

I have to disagree,  right off the bat it circles directly to this forum regarding Gavin heading to the CIA....  then it again alludes to why Satoshi never made "himself" public after inventing the technology.

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 10:25:15 PM

The article claims that the following was said in an un-cited forum somewhere: "want to know if we are going to war with Iran, watch the block chain"

That seems to be the only evidence they have that the CIA is paying people with bitcoin.  This is what you call an "echo chamber."

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 10:27:29 PM

I have to disagree,  right off the bat it circles directly to this forum regarding Gavin heading to the CIA....  then it again alludes to why Satoshi never made "himself" public after inventing the technology.

I'll go with the most logical explanation: Satoshi has never been seen or heard from because he does not exist.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 10:35:54 PM

I'll go with the most logical explanation: Satoshi has never been seen or heard from because he does not exist.

So one person with the smarts to make bitcoin could not 'disappear'?  He has indeed done a great job of not making tracks in the first place.  But I can not say it would be impossible to go online anonymously for the time he did.  Even mybitcoin.com did it, and basically left no firm tracks and people have a financial reason to look for him. 

Satoshi has not committed any crimes nor has he wronged anyone.  This makes it a lot easier to 'disappear'. 

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 10:43:56 PM

Satoshi still doesn't exist, it's a AI that will appear only in the future and will be created thanks to bitcoins. And then it will go back in the time to invent bitcoin.
Something seems wrong? Oh c'mon, time travel doesn't require logic!

Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 10:45:37 PM

I just watched the documentary Thrive and I think that Satoshi must be an alien!    Shocked

Does the bitcoin network have any properties that could be related to the shape of a
torus?   Grin

j/k

That doc should make bitcoiners happy since it suggests people, to help wake up and
free themselves, to start using alternatives currencies, among other things.    
kgo

Activity: 548

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 11:04:43 PM

I have to disagree,  right off the bat it circles directly to this forum regarding Gavin heading to the CIA....  then it again alludes to why Satoshi never made "himself" public after inventing the technology.

Neither one of these tidbits are facts, and neither remotely constitutes any proof that the CIA uses bitcoin.

At best, the random people involved in the CIA thread are spouting (completely uninformed) speculation and hearsay.

Allusions that Satoishi is actually the CIA are specifically that.  Allusions.  And if it was true, than there wouldn't really be any point in Gavin giving a presentation on bitcoin to it's actual creators, invalidating any of the above hearsay.  (Should we get all conspiratorial about it and say that the CIA invited Gavin to provide plausible deniability that they had any prior knowledge of bitcoins?)

There isn't a single verifiable fact in the article that indicates the CIA is paying spooks in bitcoins.
interlagos

Activity: 496

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 11:43:02 PM

I just watched the documentary Thrive and I think that Satoshi must be an alien!    Shocked

Does the bitcoin network have any properties that could be related to the shape of a
torus?   Grin

j/k

That doc should make bitcoiners happy since it suggests people, to help wake up and
free themselves, to start using alternatives currencies, among other things.    

Bitcoin was planned by aliens long before we even dreamed about things like that.
Here is the video recorded before 2005 and posted on youtube in 2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LQp7Or1GNU
Just pick up the key words from the first half and put 2+2 together.

RaggedMonk

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 11:53:17 PM

I have to disagree,  right off the bat it circles directly to this forum regarding Gavin heading to the CIA....  then it again alludes to why Satoshi never made "himself" public after inventing the technology.

Neither one of these tidbits are facts, and neither remotely constitutes any proof that the CIA uses bitcoin.

At best, the random people involved in the CIA thread are spouting (completely uninformed) speculation and hearsay.

Allusions that Satoishi is actually the CIA are specifically that.  Allusions.  And if it was true, than there wouldn't really be any point in Gavin giving a presentation on bitcoin to it's actual creators, invalidating any of the above hearsay.  (Should we get all conspiratorial about it and say that the CIA invited Gavin to provide plausible deniability that they had any prior knowledge of bitcoins?)

There isn't a single verifiable fact in the article that indicates the CIA is paying spooks in bitcoins.

I would say this article is proof... that tin foil hat-types are drawn to use bitcoin. Grin
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 12:13:10 AM

CIA? Spooks? Iran? I feel used and dirty now  Angry

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
RandyFolds

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 12:54:31 AM

Another retarded tinfoil hat conspiracy theory brought to you by 'the founder'...
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 01:39:05 AM

Another retarded tinfoil hat conspiracy theory brought to you by 'the founder'...
That's just what they want you to think.  Grin

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 01:46:35 AM

ITT: sheer, absolute idiocy

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
djinfected

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 03:09:45 AM

Hypothesis: Satoshi was convinced bitcoin would become illegal and didn't want to end up like Megaupload's CEO.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: