Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:57:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallets and official client  (Read 774 times)
iNs4nePT (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 10:45:03 PM

Probably like most of everyone else, my starting point included downloading the official bitcoin client, creating a new wallet.

However, i immediately noticed two things:

1) i choose a password (a lil security? yeah sure) but when i close and re-open the app, no prompt is given and the wallet is opened...
  ... so, i guess my pass got stored somewhere  Huh

2) No wallet export/import. Seriously, this should be a MUST.
    Yeah, i know the risks, i'll encrypt the data myself (GPG, whatever)

Ok, other wallet software exists, but each has it's own format as well...  Sad

My question is, what exactly is the essential data a wallet must contain, and why?
I've read https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Wallet but information is scarce

Any linkage is appreciated
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Costia

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 12:38:27 AM

1) Are you talking about the RPC password(in the .conf file?) or wallet encryption(in the menu of the client)?
After I encrypted my wallet it did ask me every time. though now I use bitcoind without the GUI (graphical user interface) so i am not sure about this.

2) you can just backup the wallet.dat file. why does it matter how the data is stored inside?
the wallet.dat has ~100 new addresses - each time you send money a new address is used, so you should create a new backup once in a while (~each 50 transactions should be safe)
there are security risks with import that have nothing to do with encryption - there is a thread in the dev forum about this.
iNs4nePT (OP)

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 12:48:32 AM

1) Are you talking about the RPC password(in the .conf file?) or wallet encryption(in the menu of the client)?
After I encrypted my wallet it did ask me every time. though now I use bitcoind without the GUI (graphical user interface) so i am not sure about this.

Not the RPC one, the actual wallet encryption, from the menu on the GUI.
Restarting my PC and opening bitcoin, still no password prompt (it does say it's encrypted and locked though...  Huh)

2) you can just backup the wallet.dat file. why does it matter how the data is stored inside?
the wallet.dat has ~100 new addresses - each time you send money a new address is used, so you should create a new backup once in a while (~each 50 transactions should be safe)
there are security risks with import that have nothing to do with encryption - there is a thread in the dev forum about this.

Import/Export could allow me to move/copy a wallet into a different client app. Essentially, the information is important, the file format should not be.

I will investigate about the security issues though, thanks.
Therilith

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

100X100111XX10

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 12:54:47 AM

Not the RPC one, the actual wallet encryption, from the menu on the GUI.
Restarting my PC and opening bitcoin, still no password prompt (it does say it's encrypted and locked though...  Huh)
You only need the password to send money or create new addresses.

Money is power. If you would like to transfer some of your power to me (making yourself weaker and me stronger), use the following address: 1PoFSpghmpsebfwZwnu5PPmmv2u9uYgJKo
Costia

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 12:59:40 AM

Import/Export could allow me to move/copy a wallet into a different client app. Essentially, the information is important, the file format should not be.
copy/pasting wallet.dat will have the same effect (just dont forget that it generates new addresses all the time)
and the format isn't important
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: