Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:54:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know how to automate the renewal of domains using bitcoins?  (Read 953 times)
Hunterbunter (OP)

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:50:41 AM

I want to be able to just fund a bitcoin address given to me by the registrar, and the registrar withdraw payment as necessary when it is due for renewal. Is this possible anywhere?

All I've seen during my search require you to either manually go through a third party payment processor, or manually set up a renewal order so it can't be automated (without a credit card). A manual setup is fine, but I want to be able to let scripts handle it after that. Very frustrating.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:28:22 AM

I am guessing that you are talking about a lot of domains right?

You could write your own script that automatically handles payments using the wallet's API (online wallet or bitcoin-qt).
All you need is a database with all domains, payment address and expiry dates and just have your script check for upcoming expiry dates and send the command through the API to make the payment. 
gminds

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 11:54:45 AM

I
I want to be able to just fund a bitcoin address given to me by the registrar, and the registrar withdraw payment as necessary when it is due for renewal. Is this possible anywhere?

I don't think so, I havn't seen any.
Although most registrars have a virtual user wallet (not bitcoin though), holding funds for automatic renewals.
I guess it's an easier route, compared to the complexity and risk of managing an online bitcoin vault.

3rd party Bitcoin payment processors could tackle this, making a bitcoin address work like credit card, supporting recurring payments.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 01:00:28 PM

All I've seen during my search require you to either manually go through a third party payment processor, or manually set up a renewal order so it can't be automated (without a credit card). A manual setup is fine, but I want to be able to let scripts handle it after that. Very frustrating.

Not sure what you are exactly trying to do but with namecheap.com it isn't that hard. On my account I make a onetime bitcoin payment to create a large credit and set all my domains to auto renew. When the domains need funds it will first try to use the remaining credit balance payed originally in Bitcoin.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 01:55:19 PM

You can extend your registration for years in advance.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1303

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 02:09:20 PM

You'd have to give them your private key to do automatic withdrawal.

Some of the third parties who handle payments can do something like that.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 03:54:22 PM

for someone with over 500 activity.. seems a noob question to ask.

if its for 1 domain, doing 1 TX once a year takes less time then making an automatic script which allows third parties to take bitcoins off you, without you needing to be around.. (think of the security risk)

so the best thing to do is set a calender event, or when you receive the renewal reminder email.. just pay it.

if you have multiple domains setting up a script to auto send funds. and then programming it with different dates takes longer then just reading an email at the time and sending funds.

so the best thing to do is set a calender event, or when you receive the renewal reminder email.. just pay it.

alternatively save even more time by buying more then 1 year renewals. as this is even more efficient and also if you dont want to renew you simply dont pay. which is far easier then re-editing your scripts to stop automatic payments.

simply put. th lowtech method is more efficient, secure and easy to manage compared to a hightech solution you sek

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Hunterbunter (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 09:07:09 PM

Thanks for all the responses.

I know paying it manually is easier, but it's for a DAC (distributed/digital autonomous corporation). It's a self-sufficient server/application which has control of its own wallet, and pays for its own hosting and domain through it, autonomously. It's not so much that it needs to be easy for a human to do, but easy for an AI to do. Writing scripts to scrape 3rd party payments and emails is doable, but if anything changes on any of the pages it could break the DAC, so it won't be entirely autonomous that way.

Doing it with namecoins is dead easy, but until .bit is resolved for everyone there's not much point of it existing. The alternative is a registrar that can allow the DAC to check how much (in btc) is owing on an account via API then make sure the address the registrar gave the DAC has enough funds on it.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:09:15 AM

That is not possible with bitcoin.

You cannot have a 3rd party withdraw coins from your address like that.

My proposed solution to your problem is to prepay for your domain for a decade or two while using bitcoin.

There are a few domain registrars that accept bitcoin for payment.
Hunterbunter (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 07:36:23 AM

That is not possible with bitcoin.

You cannot have a 3rd party withdraw coins from your address like that.

My proposed solution to your problem is to prepay for your domain for a decade or two while using bitcoin.

There are a few domain registrars that accept bitcoin for payment.

nono, it's their address, I just put coins on there and they withdraw when necessary. An API where they tell me how much I owe would complete the picture.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: