Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:11:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ransom for Cryptolocker  (Read 1260 times)
allatsea (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 12:55:49 PM

Hi there
I need to buy bitcoins to pay for the ransom for cryptolocker to free up my files.
I signed up to bitcoin but do not know how to pay for the bitcoins - can I use paypal or a credit card?
when I signed up for the HK exchange it asked for my password - which I had just made up - and at the same time it emailed me 6 numbers - I entered the 6 numbers but that was not correct, I entered the alphanumeric password I had and that was not correct either - so I re-did the 6 numbers and that was not correct either.
So now I am locked out of the system, and the timer is counting down for cryptolokcer and I will lose all my files if I don't pay the extortionate sum requested!
Please can someone give me detailed instructions on what to do to pay the ransom people.
So sorry that Bitcoin is used to help criminals - but there we are - help!
Elizabethftp://

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allatsea (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 01:03:16 PM

PS - just had a failed delivery status notification for the HK bitcoin site - so it looks like their site administrator had closed down and so I will stay locked out.  Oh dear!
icet208

Activity: 762
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 01:28:46 PM

the easiest way https://localbitcoins.com/
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 01:51:26 PM

IS there no other way to get rid of it? Can't you take yourl drive out and put it in an external caddy and try search for the virus? Usually works for me. How many bitcoins do you have to pay?
Krang

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 01:52:21 PM

Oh that's terrible. That's the first I've heard of this. You can buy coins from the forum here. Look in the marketplace but be careful not to get scammed.
Tammy Chan

Activity: 820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 01:55:36 PM

IS there no other way to get rid of it? Can't you take yourl drive out and put it in an external caddy and try search for the virus? Usually works for me.

According to wikipedia, "Although CryptoLocker itself is readily removed, files remain encrypted in a way which researchers have considered infeasible to break. Many say that the ransom should not be paid, but do not offer any way to recover files; others say that paying the ransom is the only way to recover files that had not been backed up. Payment often, but not always, has been followed by files being decrypted."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryptoLocker

Tammy Chan

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 01:57:43 PM

Hi there
I need to buy bitcoins to pay for the ransom for cryptolocker to free up my files.
I signed up to bitcoin but do not know how to pay for the bitcoins - can I use paypal or a credit card?

If you need to buy bitcoin quick, you could check localbitcoins and you may find cash trades near you.
It is not easy to buy bitcoin with paypal or credit card, due to potential chargeback.

OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 01:58:02 PM

IS there no other way to get rid of it? Can't you take yourl drive out and put it in an external caddy and try search for the virus?

I'm afraid that would most likely not work. If the virus is real it will have encrypted all the files already.
However, depending on how recent the backup is (you DO have backups, do you?) the simplest way out might be to reinstall the computer and recover files from backup.

Onkel Paul

Regarding the immediate need for buying bitcoins: localbitcoins.com is probably easiest, a very nice alternative is the local trader feature that comes with the mycelium android bitcoin wallet.

yatsey87

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 02:03:38 PM

IS there no other way to get rid of it? Can't you take yourl drive out and put it in an external caddy and try search for the virus? Usually works for me.

According to wikipedia, "Although CryptoLocker itself is readily removed, files remain encrypted in a way which researchers have considered infeasible to break. Many say that the ransom should not be paid, but do not offer any way to recover files; others say that paying the ransom is the only way to recover files that had not been backed up. Payment often, but not always, has been followed by files being decrypted."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryptoLocker

IS there no other way to get rid of it? Can't you take yourl drive out and put it in an external caddy and try search for the virus?

I'm afraid that would most likely not work. If the virus is real it will have encrypted all the files already.
However, depending on how recent the backup is (you DO have backups, do you?) the simplest way out might be to reinstall the computer and recover files from backup.

Onkel Paul

Regarding the immediate need for buying bitcoins: localbitcoins.com is probably easiest, a very nice alternative is the local trader feature that comes with the mycelium android bitcoin wallet.

Oh wow, that really is a bastard. It'd be terrible if you paid the ransom and they still didn't unlock your files. I guess this is a warning to back up your stuff just in case this ever happens.
icet208

Activity: 762
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 02:05:00 PM

CryptoLocker  seems to be a raltive new and fast spreading virus that "hackers" use it to make money...sadly..

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 02:05:42 PM

How long is left on the timer and how much are they asking for?
Tammy Chan

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 02:11:03 PM

CryptoLocker  seems to be a raltive new and fast spreading virus that "hackers" use it to make money...sadly..

Not that new...I believe it first came out in Sept 2013. Sad
http://www.geek.com/apps/disk-encryptiing-cryptolocker-malware-demands-300-to-decrypt-your-files-1570402/

And even worse,
Someone is selling a DIY malware kit that builds custom CryptoLocker knock-offs for just $100.
http://www.geek.com/apps/100-malware-kit-lets-anyone-build-their-own-cryptolocker-1581505/

yatsey87

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 02:25:25 PM

CryptoLocker  seems to be a raltive new and fast spreading virus that "hackers" use it to make money...sadly..
And even worse,
Someone is selling a DIY malware kit that builds custom CryptoLocker knock-offs for just $100.
http://www.geek.com/apps/100-malware-kit-lets-anyone-build-their-own-cryptolocker-1581505/

Wow that's bad. Do those kits come with the bitcoin payment option? I guess this is sadly one use where bitcoin is also an advantage to criminals.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: