Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 01:31:15 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thai military seizes power in coup  (Read 2845 times)
sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:12:32 AM

As I can remember it is not the fist time Thailand experiences the deep interference of army in their life, even in the capital Bangkok. I have some friends who lived their during the riot time. I bet some talk with them may bring very interesting points of view from "inside people".
The main purpose behind these riots is royal succession and I guess it is going to continue until the former prime minister is removed. Death and injuries are being reported following clashes between military guards and demonstrators.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:27:12 AM

It is a smart and ruthless move.
Think about it, if they had announced a coup right away on Tuesday before they detained the political officers, the political officers might have asked their supporters to rise up against the army.
However, they pretended it was not a coup, asked the political officers to come to a meeting, arrested them, and THEN declare a coup with not many people left to oppose them.
It was a beautiful deception.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
El Cabron
Gnomo
VIP

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:50:55 AM

As I can remember it is not the fist time Thailand experiences the deep interference of army in their life, even in the capital Bangkok. I have some friends who lived their during the riot time. I bet some talk with them may bring very interesting points of view from "inside people".
The main purpose behind these riots is royal succession and I guess it is going to continue until the former prime minister is removed. Death and injuries are being reported following clashes between military guards and demonstrators.

reported where?

Im going to call bull shit.

Sorry El Cabron, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Trolling
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622250.msg7030081#msg7030081
sana8410

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:00:45 PM

reported where?

"After Thursday’s putsch, Thais anxiously await some news on the future of their nation. Half a year of political deadlock has led to at least 28 deaths and 700 people injured, but there are few clues regarding how Thai Army chief Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha can solve the crisis after seizing control"
source : http://time.com/108719/thai-army-declares-military-coup/

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:18:27 PM

I hope everything resolves itself quickly though! Or do you guys think Thailand will be better off with military rule?
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:24:25 PM

It actually seems like the Thailand people prefers military rule as well! Think of the massive protests by political parties during the previous governments!
Once the military took over, no serious protests have occurred and only small protests of about 50 people each have gathered. The army are also relatively passive and backing away from the protesters trying to calm things down.And based on the many pictures spread online of Thai people taking pictures with soldiers, it seems like they have quite the political support. It is also good to see the Thailand people taking a break from massive protests for awhile.

bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:48:10 PM

I hope everything resolves itself quickly though! Or do you guys think Thailand will be better off with military rule?

I think so. The military is definitely better than those crappy politicians. The political parties were fighting against each other, causing dozens of deaths and hundreds of millions of USD in property damage. It has stopped now. Peace has returned.
El Cabron
Gnomo
VIP

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 01:31:51 PM

reported where?

"After Thursday’s putsch, Thais anxiously await some news on the future of their nation. Half a year of political deadlock has led to at least 28 deaths and 700 people injured, but there are few clues regarding how Thai Army chief Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha can solve the crisis after seizing control"

if you are a native english speaker you are a moron.

if not they are talking about why the coup happened not what happened after.

No deaths and pretty much no clashing.

Sorry El Cabron, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Trolling
sana8410

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 02:23:12 PM

reported where?

if you are a native english speaker you are a moron.

if not they are talking about why the coup happened not what happened after.

No deaths and pretty much no clashing.
Was i talking about what happend after????No!I was talking about "The coup" that  came two days after martial law was enacted, capping months of political deadlock and street protests that have killed 28 people and injured hundreds more.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 02:33:10 PM

It is a smart and ruthless move.
Think about it, if they had announced a coup right away on Tuesday before they detained the political officers, the political officers might have asked their supporters to rise up against the army.
However, they pretended it was not a coup, asked the political officers to come to a meeting, arrested them, and THEN declare a coup with not many people left to oppose them.
It was a beautiful deception.
Completely agree with you , it was indeed a smart move..
Just read online, Prime minister has agreed to step down and dissolve the parliament.. I think matters will settle down in a day or two and things will proceed towards a new election..

bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 06:38:06 PM

Just read online, Prime minister has agreed to step down and dissolve the parliament.. I think matters will settle down in a day or two and things will proceed towards a new election..

I am unfamiliar with the current political situation in Thailand. If an election is held now, without any voter fraud, which party will emerge as the winner? Will Shinawatra's party be able to return to power?
El Cabron
Gnomo
VIP

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:54:06 AM

I am unfamiliar with the current political situation in Thailand. If an election is held now, without any voter fraud, which party will emerge as the winner? Will Shinawatra's party be able to return to power?

Yes. The "Reds" get about 75% of the national vote. They would clearly win in any sort of election and have even won with all sorts of restrictions on them. There is no way the "Yellows" could ever win an election and that is why they have to use coups and courts to keep the power they have had for about 100 years.

However I'm not so sure democracy is the best thing for Thailand. The people who get elected do so by literately giving away money.  One year the "Reds" said they were going to give the head of head village 1,000,000 baht if they got elected. Well, the "Reds" did get elected and they did pay everyone. Was this good for Thailand? Thats a huge amount of debt and inflation.

Trolling
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:20:48 AM

However I'm not so sure democracy is the best thing for Thailand. The people who get elected do so by literately giving away money.  One year the "Reds" said they were going to give the head of head village 1,000,000 baht if they got elected. Well, the "Reds" did get elected and they did pay everyone. Was this good for Thailand? Thats a huge amount of debt and inflation.

That's how the democracy works. You take money from the 10% of the population (who works really hard to earn their money) and give this money to the remaining 90% of the population who are lazy and want to survive on benefit handouts.
El Cabron
Gnomo
VIP

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:33:09 AM

That's how the democracy works. You take money from the 10% of the population (who works really hard to earn their money) and give this money to the remaining 90% of the population who are lazy and want to survive on benefit handouts.

clearly that sort of bs does not fly here. One of the reasons why i love this place.

Trolling
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:21:13 AM

clearly that sort of bs does not fly here. One of the reasons why i love this place.

You yourself posted that Shinawatra got elected by giving away money and freebies.
El Cabron
Gnomo
VIP

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:56:50 AM

You yourself posted that Shinawatra got elected by giving away money and freebies.

okay, does not fly for very long. he now is outside of the country because if he lands here in thailand he will be jailed for years.

yes, he got away with it for a while, but clearly it wont last. this is the second coup that has kicked out his party. i doubt he will get the option to get back in. we will see.

Trolling
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 10:18:32 AM

yes, he got away with it for a while, but clearly it wont last. this is the second coup that has kicked out his party. i doubt he will get the option to get back in. we will see.

The army will be forced to call in the elections after a few months. With 75% of the national vote, Shinawatra might install a puppet as the president and still run the country (from outside).
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 10:38:31 AM

Don't forget the minimum rise prices! They do that in my country to for farmer produce but everyone thinks it's fair and great Sad

You know what's fair? The price on the open market. I hate democracy.
El Cabron
Gnomo
VIP

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:41:26 AM

The army will be forced to call in the elections after a few months. With 75% of the national vote, Shinawatra might install a puppet as the president and still run the country (from outside).

What? Who is going to force the Army to have elections? The red shirts will start a civil war? That would be playing into the hands of the army.

They did this last time and he did run the country from outside, his sister took power.

I would not expect elections for at least two years, or they will be elections to a body that has limited power, or most of the spots will be hand picked by the army.

Trolling
sana8410

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:55:02 PM

Hmm... Things are little settled now in Bangkok.. Military Leader Gen Prayuth has been given royal endorsement to take care of peace in the country... Elections are going to take place soon.. I guess it is now safe to travel to the country.. In fact, better as it is going to be less crowded ..

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: