Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 05:27:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thai military seizes power in coup  (Read 2842 times)
noviapriani

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:12:24 PM

Yes let's go guys. There is no army or curfew in Phuket or Pattaya. We may enjoy cheap price while others are scared. Revenue from tourism industry occupies large percentage in Thailand's GDP and large Thais population live on tourists. I guess they will come up with some strategy to get tourists back. Imagine what might happen if hundred thousand people are unemployed due to the stop of tourist flow to this beautiful country. It is gonna be worst than the presence of army in the street.

An important tip for those who are planning a trip to Thailand: you are gonna enjoy interesting exchange rate (THB/USD, THB/EUR) due to this chaotic situation.

Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:17:41 PM

Yes let's go guys. There is no army or curfew in Phuket or Pattaya. We may enjoy cheap price while others are scared. Revenue from tourism industry occupies large percentage in Thailand's GDP and large Thais population live on tourists. I guess they will come up with some strategy to get tourists back. Imagine what might happen if hundred thousand people are unemployed due to the stop of tourist flow to this beautiful country. It is gonna be worst than the presence of army in the street.

An important tip for those who are planning a trip to Thailand: you are gonna enjoy interesting exchange rate (THB/USD, THB/EUR) due to this chaotic situation.
Yea, I think now is indeed a unique time to visit Bangkok. See how the military rule is like. However, you are putting your safety at risk. But who knows, it might be safer now if crime rates manage to decrease due to the military preserving the peace.
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:34:59 PM

Then do not go to Bangkok Rigon, Thailand has lots of interesting places other than Bangkok. Honestly I could not find any inspiration in Bangkok for all my 5 visits to this country. I prefer some beaches in the south.

P/s: with or without army in the streets, crime rates in Thailand has never been higher than those in the States. So where is the problem then? Nop, at least for me ...

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:55:28 PM

Then do not go to Bangkok Rigon, Thailand has lots of interesting places other than Bangkok. Honestly I could not find any inspiration in Bangkok for all my 5 visits to this country. I prefer some beaches in the south.

P/s: with or without army in the streets, crime rates in Thailand has never been higher than those in the States. So where is the problem then? Nop, at least for me ...
Wow, you've been to Bangkok 5 times? business or pleasure? My friend was there for a family vacation during the Anti-Thaksin protests. He said everything was safe even though there were a lot of angry people lol. He even had a good time taking pictures with the protesters.
This reminds me of the pictures and videos I saw of the coup. Violence was at a minimum and the military was non-confrontational.
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:42:19 AM

Wow, you've been to Bangkok 5 times? business or pleasure? My friend was there for a family vacation during the Anti-Thaksin protests. He said everything was safe even though there were a lot of angry people lol. He even had a good time taking pictures with the protesters.
This reminds me of the pictures and videos I saw of the coup. Violence was at a minimum and the military was non-confrontational.
Most of my visits were just vacations because of affordable expenses in Thailand, great tropical climate and I am exempted from visa. I was there in the Anti - Thaksin protests too and it surprised me. Protesters walked in the streets, others were still doing business, selling things, enjoying coffee on the sidewalk. when I visited Chiang Mai people there seemed not to be aware or concerned about what was going on in Bangkok.

Thais attitude is very strange: if you are in, you are in. If you are out, you are out. So I did not witness any damage or destruction of civil properties by protesters (no idea if there was any in fact).

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:52:45 AM

There is not many reasons to delay a trip to Thailand if you have already booked it. As I remember years ago (cannot remember when exactly) when the same happened in Bangkok, my friend was living there. On the contrary with what I saw everyday in the news. I was so surprised when he told me he was enjoying Thailand, just avoid the demonstration. Other cities like Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya etc were like "nothing ever happen".

So if someone wanna enjoy Phuket, Pattaya or even Bangkok, it is a unique experience.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:57:55 AM

If someone is concerned about security or safety in Thailand, he must read news too much while never travelling to this country. My impression about this country is: pacific.
Thais are pacifists. Most of them are Buddhist. They are very friendly, simple. There is pickpocket but I guess it is not worse than the same in Rome, Milan, Paris or Madrid.
People who demonstrate must suffer too much for too long. If I have another chance to travel there, I would not mind.

zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:00:19 PM

If someone is concerned about security or safety in Thailand, he must read news too much while never travelling to this country. My impression about this country is: pacific.
Thais are pacifists. Most of them are Buddhist. They are very friendly, simple. There is pickpocket but I guess it is not worse than the same in Rome, Milan, Paris or Madrid.
People who demonstrate must suffer too much for too long. If I have another chance to travel there, I would not mind.
I think you're right. Correct me if I'm wrong but the most extreme Buddhist extremist I've seen so far is self-immolation. Even when they get so angry they could harm someone, the first person they harm is themselves! I think that says a lot about their idealism.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
umair127

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:09:19 PM

Yea, I think now is indeed a unique time to visit Bangkok. See how the military rule is like. However, you are putting your safety at risk. But who knows, it might be safer now if crime rates manage to decrease due to the military preserving the peace.
Agreed. No matter how pacific Thais people are, or real situation in Bangkok is, or how much lower crime rate in Thailand is in comparison with one in US, I could not find any reason to visit that country during this time.
Vacation is vacation, where people go to relax and refresh. If I search for an adventure, I would go to Columbia for rock climbing, but not jumping into a war.
For you guys who love tropical beaches, Maldives is close by Thailand.

bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:44:04 PM

Agreed. No matter how pacific Thais people are, or real situation in Bangkok is, or how much lower crime rate in Thailand is in comparison with one in US, I could not find any reason to visit that country during this time.

Foreign tourist arrivals are again picking up in Thailand. The imposition of military rule has actually helped to strengthen the confidence of the tourists. The temporary dip in the arrivals are over.  Grin
umair127

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:47:45 PM

I think you're right. Correct me if I'm wrong but the most extreme Buddhist extremist I've seen so far is self-immolation. Even when they get so angry they could harm someone, the first person they harm is themselves! I think that says a lot about their idealism.
Well I think most extreme Buddhist extremists are in countries where Buddhism is national religion. They put pressure on the government to throw away from the country some people. You can find it in Burma or Sri Lanka. Most recently in Burma Buddhist people wanted to deport a minority group who is not Burmese originally.
But these people, I mean Buddhist, seem not to like the idea of killing. And you are so right that if they have to kill, they choose to kill themselves. But to me it is bad enough. Just an opinion.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:52:49 PM

Well I think most extreme Buddhist extremists are in countries where Buddhism is national religion. They put pressure on the government to throw away from the country some people. You can find it in Burma or Sri Lanka. Most recently in Burma Buddhist people wanted to deport a minority group who is not Burmese originally.
But these people, I mean Buddhist, seem not to like the idea of killing. And you are so right that if they have to kill, they choose to kill themselves. But to me it is bad enough. Just an opinion.

I don't like any religion. But at least the ideology that is usually preached amongst Buddhists is pacifistic. Add that to the fact they never try to convert others (which I hate so much, what would Christians* think if I went door to door telling every Christian* I see they should change to atheism because their religion is flawed?).

*Change Christian for any mainstream religion (and probably also non-mainstream).
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:01:30 PM

Most recently in Burma Buddhist people wanted to deport a minority group who is not Burmese originally.

The ethnic group which you have mentioned is called Rohingya. They are Bengali speaking Muslims from the neighboring Bangladesh, who immigrated to the Arakan region of Burma during the British colonial period. Ever since Burma got independence, the Burmese and the Rohingya are fighting against each other. Both sides should be blamed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_rebellion_in_Western_Burma
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:24:33 PM

I wouldn't worry at all about coming to Thailand as a tourist. The curfew was an annoyance but now that it's lifted in Pattaya, Samui, and Phuket that's going to take care of a big percentage of tourists who are going to want to be out at night.

Thailand is a very safe country in general and with the Army in control it's even safer really. There's been minor peaceful anti coup protests but in reality the majority of Thai people support the coup and are happy to see Thailand back on track to stability.
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:42:08 PM

I wouldn't worry at all about coming to Thailand as a tourist. The curfew was an annoyance but now that it's lifted in Pattaya, Samui, and Phuket that's going to take care of a big percentage of tourists who are going to want to be out at night.

Yes... a large majority of the tourists usually stays at Pattaya and Phuket. Those places were not much affected even during the opposition protests. So it seems that tourists are very much safe in Thailand.
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:03:09 PM

Yes... a large majority of the tourists usually stays at Pattaya and Phuket. Those places were not much affected even during the opposition protests. So it seems that tourists are very much safe in Thailand.

Yes ofcourse the places where the tourists come, they keep them clean and clear of protestors.
So the tourist dont see what is really happening in the country, if they would see what was really happening.
Maybe they wouldnt come and throw money in the economy, So ofcourse they will keep those people as ignorant as possible.

My brother and a few friends are going to thailand soon, I hope everything will be cool then.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:21:29 PM

Yes ofcourse the places where the tourists come, they keep them clean and clear of protestors.
So the tourist dont see what is really happening in the country, if they would see what was really happening.
Maybe they wouldnt come and throw money in the economy, So ofcourse they will keep those people as ignorant as possible.

My brother and a few friends are going to thailand soon, I hope everything will be cool then.

The thing is there isn't really anything happening. There's no violence any longer now that the Army has taken control. Even in Bangkok tourists would be safe. They might see a lot of Army personnel with guns and that might be frightening for them, but it's not dangerous.
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:55:13 PM

There is a small decline (~19%) in the arrival of tourists from China. For the other groups, there is no change.

Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:26:14 PM

There is a small decline (~19%) in the arrival of tourists from China. For the other groups, there is no change.

We'll see how the coup will affect the post April numbers. I think it might have a noticeable effect. In reality it's not dangerous for tourists to come but I think a lot of foreigners falsely assume that the Army is dangerous. I've personally seen quite a few people asking and being very worried about their upcoming trips. With some even canceling altogether.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: