Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:33:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Belgium Bans Virtual Derivatives  (Read 2435 times)
bluemeanie1 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 03:10:06 PM

http://dcmagnates.com/belgium-regulator-fsma-issues-ban-of-virtual-currency-based-derivatives-effective-july-1/

The Financial Markets and Services Authority (FSMA) has announced a new regulatory edict that will effectively ban the use of derivatives based on virtual currencies such as Bitcoin as of July 1, 2014, according to an FSMA statement.

Belgium’s paramount regulatory organization FSMA has been keen to police a variety of financial instruments as of late, including binary options. However, the most recent FSMA regulatory announcement takes a far more pointed stance towards virtual currencies.

-bm

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Krang

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 03:14:35 PM

What are virtual derivatives? crytocurrencies?
5flags

Activity: 224

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 03:15:21 PM

What are virtual derivatives? crytocurrencies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_(finance)

Examples would be futures and options.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 03:17:01 PM

it appears to be a response to the release of ShortNXT which is the first pure P2P Crypto Derivative.  You can purchase short positions(NXT is the underlying) on the NXT network.

https://nxtforum.org/assets-board/official-nxtshort-thread-faq/

-bm

Activity: 230

Come original.

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 03:18:03 PM

This isnt good news. Really wish countries would stop trying to ban or restrict bitcoin.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 03:20:03 PM

So derivatives are fine everywhere but in crypto? Right ....
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 03:40:37 PM

I don't really want to use my btc like fiat anyway. Derivatives and futures etc. are an old economy thing.

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:02:02 PM

So derivatives are fine everywhere but in crypto? Right ....

yes, but belgium is the one of the most user of tresor US paper money (paper debt deposit).  Roll Eyes
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 04:03:35 PM

so far I'm pretty sure not a single person in this thread actually knows what a Derivative is.

-bm

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:18:32 PM

so far I'm pretty sure not a single person in this thread actually knows what a Derivative is.

-bm

Incorrect.
Neg

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:25:41 PM

-bm

lol, you're probably mostly right  Cheesy.
shadypepe

Activity: 266

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:33:47 PM

I don't really want to use my btc like fiat anyway. Derivatives and futures etc. are an old economy thing.

that's an extremely dumb statement and the kind of thinking that's slowing the advance of bitcoin. bitcoin should integrate into the existing financial system, not in some way overthrow it. there's just absolutely no way bitcoin could stand up against an established, working and (in large parts) useful multi trillion dollar derivatives market. and it doesn't need to. everything else is anarchism.

CZd9oh4FWe4f1TB69YyedxnuGyHt21zEPu
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:42:40 PM

A derivative is a financial contract which derives its value from the performance of another entity such as an asset, index, or interest rate, called the "underlying."

It will be very interesting to watch how this develops in regards to colored coins.  A company like Groupon could issue vouchers using colored coins for their small-business clients, leveraging the accounting/verification system offered by bitcoin.  In my opinion, vouchers would not be banned under the Belgium FSMA regulation, but I'm not sure.  And what about issuing bonds or shares with colored coins?  In this case, the colored coins are the underlying because the underlying is just a contract and the colored coins represent pieces of that contract so to speak.  

The rational for the FSMA decision was:

an overall prevalence for operating risk, hacking virtual currency platforms, exchange rate risks and volatility, and the lack of legal guarantee for actual face value

With colored coins, the "virtual currency platform" that a hacker would have to hack is the blockchain itself and probably the least hackable thing in the world.  The "exchange rate risk and volatility" is irrelevant IMO and the "prevalence for operating risk" is ambiguous.

One point I think it partially valid is "the lack of a legal guarantee for actual face value."  If a company issues bonds as colored coins and creates a contract with the hash of that contract embedded within the colored-coins-issuance transactions, this becomes very strong proof of the agreement the was made between the issuer and the colored coin holders.  IMO this is as legally binding as any other contract and is a guarantee of face value, but IANAL.  However, whether the issuer will actually honour the contract is another matter.  But the credit worthiness of the issuer is a problem that has nothing to do with bitcoin.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 04:47:40 PM

"the least hackable thing in the world"

"BITCOIN IS BEST COIN!"

bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 05:36:50 PM

it appears to be a response to the release of ShortNXT which is the first pure P2P Crypto Derivative.  You can purchase short positions(NXT is the underlying) on the NXT network

still wondering if any post is not about NXT   Grin

hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 05:41:16 PM

Clearly the Belgian government wants to straddle their citizens by not allowing them to straddle Bitcoins...
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 05:43:57 PM

it appears to be a response to the release of ShortNXT which is the first pure P2P Crypto Derivative.  You can purchase short positions(NXT is the underlying) on the NXT network

still wondering if any post is not about NXT   Grin

can I buy derivatives on Bitcoin?

-bm

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 05:49:52 PM

Y'know... their reasoning's fairly sound. I don't think they should have authority to do such a thing, but it doesn't seem particularly unreasonable a position for a conservative nation stuck in the 20th century, clinging to extreme luddite worldviews which will maintain them as a footnote in history, lagging in global GDP growth and continuing to treat their citizens as some type of abominable dog-children while the prestige of holding the highest public offices in Belgium does not rise any more than that of the local rat-catcher.

*cough*

But yes, extrapolating from the apparently-accepted axioms was done in proper fashion, I think.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 06:16:35 PM

in short, peeling away the opinions of reporters and forum people

a derivative is essentially what the winklevosses are doing. hoarding bitcoin and offering shares paid in fiat, where the share is based on the price of the bitcoin hoard.

so no belgium EFT basically.

they also make a statement that although the same risks apply there is nothing stopping people from buying actual bitcoins.

so chill out folks

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 06:18:16 PM

in short, peeling away the opinions of reporters and forum people

a derivative is essentially what the winklevosses are doing. hoarding bitcoin and offering shares paid in fiat, where the share is based on the price of the bitcoin hoard.

so no belgium EFT basically.

they also make a statement that although the same risks apply there is nothing stopping people from buying actual bitcoins.

so chill out folks
From you, I am not picking up the distinct odor of unfettered idealism. It's the principle, man - the principle!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: