Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 03:18:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ten Stages Of Bitcoin Adoption  (Read 2120 times)
serenitys (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:10:10 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2014, 09:10:41 PM by serenitys

Official Disclaimer: This is off the cuff but I'm seeing a pattern here so wanted to give it a shot trying to identify these stages before we are "all in". This is my take...please feed back if I left any out or could change it around a bit better. I'd like to come up with something relatively fitting that can be shared with others to see how adoption is trackable - even if it's never a full blown psych eval, it's still fun to tinker with in a social way.

The Ten Eleven Stages Of Bitcoin Adoption

- Serenity S.

Stage One: Oblivious Indifference

Huh? Bitcom? Naw. Oh did you see what Justin Bieber did yesterday in Germany zomg?!

Stage Two: Utter Confusion Based Indifference

Oh yeah bitcon? That's totally a scam. They went bankrupt. Hey dude, wanna drive me up to Taco Bell?

Stage Three: Mild Curiosity

Yeah, I've heard about it here and there. I heard lots of people are getting rich with it. There must be something to it though, been seeing some stores starting to accept it. What is bitcoin, exactly? (<<< this is the make or break it moment)

Stage Four: Abject Curiosity

Wait, so I can buy any amount of bitcoin I want and make some money? I'm hearing more talk about this. *Asks more questions*

Stage Five: Remedial Comprehension

So basically, I can send my sister a couple thousand dollars for less than a buck? It's anonymous? And nobody can steal it?

Stage Six: Fear Based Skepticism

Yeah, it's a great idea but there's no way in hell the government's gonna let this happen, it's financial suicide. And really, not many people use it. I don't even shop at Overstock anyway, too expensive. And the price keeps jumping around - how can merchants know what to charge? It's too easy to implode...this is a fad. (coincides with a sense of disappointment because it really was a good idea that is in a precarious position with simultaneous hope that there's bound to be something that can get this to take off)

Stage Seven: Self Directed Learning

*Google, Wiki, You Tube, Bitcointalk, Coindesk, Reddit, Massive Internet Bitcoin Research & Education Bender*

Stage Eight: Healthy Skepticism

This is gonna be HUGE but right now it's too complex for the average user...and there's the security issue. These need to be solved.

Stage 8 alternative:

There's too many outside interests looking to interfere and milk the bitcoin enthusiasts, and too many bitcoin insiders also looking to milk other bitcoin enthusiasts, a vocal number of early adopters who want to see their trivial investment make them into the wealthy elite, and huge toxic pillars (bitcoin foundation, miner manufacturers), that there's going to be many explosions along the way,   I think I'll sit back with some popcorn and watch this geek version of all-my-children from a safe position. (Contributed by Chopperman)

Stage Nine: Proactive Paradigm Shift

So, all these mega venture capitalists are throwing money into developing and reinforcing the infrastructure and to make it mindlessly easy for the average person on the street to use bitcoin, the conferences, all this support is there, happening, launching NOW...and it's meeting little resistance save but the periodic gloom and doom reports...this is going to change the world as we know it!  Cry  (tears of profound giddiness)

Stage Ten: Full Adoption: All In

Bitcoin Accounts Set up with Coinbase, Blockchain.Info, Bitstamp, other...jumps in to contribute, participate, be part of the solution, and position for potential wealth and security

Stage Eleven: Obsessive Chart Watching

OMG! It went up 40 cents! No, down 15 ce- up 82 cent--OMGOMGOMG IT HIT 400!!!

Sleepless nights obsessing over Bitcoin... (Contributed by: ChuckBuck)

Stage Twelve: Bitter Divorce?  Grin

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:15:22 PM

Great article. I enjoyed it and think you nailed it.

Chopperman

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:31:35 PM

Stage 8 alternative:

There's too many outside interests looking to interfere and milk the bitcoin enthusiasts, and too many bitcoin insiders also looking to milk other bitcoin enthusiasts, a vocal number of early adopters who want to see their trivial investment make them into the wealthy elite, and huge toxic pillars (bitcoin foundation, miner manufacturers), that there's going to be many explosions along the way,   I think I'll sit back with some popcorn and watch this geek version of all-my-children from a safe position.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:35:45 PM

Very nice!  Stage 6 is so true haha.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 07:42:08 PM

Stage 10 reporting in.

A very well put-together list, OP. I approve.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
sleepygeekygeek

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:04:24 PM

you forgot the other side of trend...

Bitcoin, greatest thing ever.  Buy, buy BUY!!!

It's going to 100,000 dollars..

(Bitcoin TANKS and loses 70 percent of it's value from the peak of 4,000).

disbelief then depression....

Beliathon

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 08:09:10 PM

you forgot the other side of trend...

Bitcoin, greatest thing ever.  Buy, buy BUY!!!

It's going to 100,000 dollars..

(Bitcoin TANKS and loses 70 percent of it's value from the peak of 4,000).

disbelief then depression....
...and 6 months later same thing happens again with an extra 0 at the end. The end result is the same.

Early divestment from the sinking ship of fiat will save lives and fortunes. Bitcoin is like an IQ test where the stakes are being rich or going broke.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 08:31:25 PM

I'm in Stage 11:  Sleepless nights obsessing over Bitcoin... Sad

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4536

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:39:15 PM

the 6 stages of man bitcoin

birth - 2009: satoshi nakamoto invitro fertilized and brung life to the first crypto child and gave it to the parents (everyone)

toddler - 2010 2013: parents learning how to control their child and raise it correctly. yes it has temper tantrums and is volatile, answer back to its elders

teenager: still rebelling with its parents and siblings at times but learning its own place in the world growing to be a more useful part of society

adult: forming new relationships of friendship or business.

marriage: other partners accepting bitcoins rebellious past, and accept it for what it truly is, enough to want to be with it for life

death: atleast 120 years after birth

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
serenitys (OP)

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 09:05:41 PM

LOL awesome, thanks for the approval Smiley

I definitely need to add 11...BRB.

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 09:08:47 PM

I'm in Stage 11:  Sleepless nights obsessing over Bitcoin...
I sleep like a baby knowing that I'm now future-rich. I eat really, really well now too. I'm not asking you to have faith in Bitcoin, I'm asking you to use your reason and logical capabilities.

Which do you think is more worthy of long-term trust, a national government, or mathematics? It really doesn't take a genius, folks. The answer lies in your history books.

serenitys (OP)

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 09:19:16 PM

I sleep like a baby knowing that I'm now future-rich. I eat really, really well now too. I'm not asking you to have faith in Bitcoin, I'm asking you to use your reason and logical capabilities.

Which do you think is more worthy of long-term trust, a national government, or mathematics? It really doesn't take a genius, folks. The answer lies in your history books.

+1 - always enjoy reading your pots, btw

You know, I signed up with Pay Pal years ago and even made a few hundred bucks (I wasn't gung ho) off the $5 referrals but when I started seeing people freaking out about PP freezing accounts, that was the warning bell. I still have the account that I use for two online services to just debit my bank acct. but I do not use them at all for moving money around, nor do I keep any money in it, nor use it to send money. Once these issues are settled where I can change to bitcoin I will do so exclusively. That's all I'm waiting for - moving it to go bitcoin exclusively.

I'm not across the paranoid line yet on my bank freezing funds (mine, anyway since mostly it'd cost them more to pay the employee to make sure it was frozen than the balance they'd be freezing Cheesy ) and I use a credit union...but I moved some into bitcoin and a wallet or three and honestly have felt tons more secure than I have with it in the bank. I love knowing that there's no imposed fees - or the horrendously criminal NSF fees, and only the transfer to the coinbase acct initially before I move it out is still insanely cheap compared to sending a transfer from one bank acct to another.

It's literally the only other time since cash that I truly feel this is MY money...and watching that built in "interest" jump up as the market jumps is even more awesome.

Nathonas

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 10:18:57 PM

I went up to stage 11 and then back down to stage 10. It was all about the value of reselling bitcoin into fiat, but as time goes on it is more and more about its revolutionary aspects. Non-bitcoiners are mostly between 5 and 7. We need to steer them closer Smiley

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
HarryK

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:29:37 PM

Yes divorce is happening. Children aka new coins are growing up Cheesy
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:37:00 PM

I sleep like a baby knowing that I'm now future-rich. I eat really, really well now too. 

Nice to hear that!

re: eating......Like, healthy?  or gourmet?

just curious.  Smiley

sleepygeekygeek

Activity: 24

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:40:22 PM

So which stage are we now?  We had about 5 years of growth.  Fiat average lifespan is 28 years.. Considering how fast technology moves will bitcoin still be around here in 10 years?
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:12:36 PM

Stage 12:  "Hey, guys!  Wanna go to the stock market/Federal Reserve museum this weekend?"
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:14:05 PM

Stage 12:  "Hey, guys!  Wanna go to the stock market/Federal Reserve museum this weekend?"

Shit...I'm using that on my profile!
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:17:03 PM

Most of my friends and family are in stage 2  Angry
Im already at stage 11 im watching the charts everyday like crazy  Grin
I really hope it will get mass adoption from the mass public
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 11:20:16 PM

You forgot:

Step 4)   5% of the population realizing that guerilla marketing works, decides to spend 5 dollars and create its "own" decentralized marketing campaign with Bitcoin bumper stickers.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: