Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 10:27:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Silkcoin surpass Blackcoin?  (Read 2560 times)
nzminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:47:08 PM

I want to hold on to a few BC just incase it does bounce back, but everything i see in Silkcoin i feel is better than BC by a mile.

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]
lossminer

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 12:55:03 PM

agrees
reRaise

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:38:53 PM

Whats so special about silk coin?
SOEHARTO

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:30:39 PM

i hope so . i invest some in there
Roadwarriors

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 02:32:15 PM

Nice website but still don't get it.  Yes I am a noob.  Is it script mining?  Not sure why it's better.  Would like to get on board but with so many coins its hard to separate good from bad.  A link with info would help.
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:21:29 PM

Nice conclusion.... completely lacking in reasons. Care to provide a list of pro's and con's for each for objective comparison?

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:32:58 PM

Here are a few non-quantitative thoughts:

Silkcoin is inherently linked by name with Silk Road, a black market website in illegal/illicit goods. Blackcoin has clearly been targeting the Wall Street crowd, trying to establish itself as an "elite" coin for the 3-piece-suit types. In terms to going mainstream I would think BC has a huge, huge advantage here. Is the average person going to want to buy into a coin that conjures up images of crime and hacking, compared to an aspirational coin promoting a snazzy image ("Always bet on black")?

Blackcoin has a head start in its activities and has gotten at least some media attention outside cryptoland. I've not heard of anything similar for Silkcoin.

Blackcoin has its debit card and is reported to be working on anonymity functionality (which I consider a MUST for serious altcoins - anonymity will be a corporate requirement as businesses begin using crypto in their business-to-business dealings.) I'm less familiar with SC, but do they have anything comparable?

Is SC doing a KNC Titan giveaway at their mining pool? (Does it have a multipool like BC?)

Let's start laying out reasons rather than just posting conclusions.

BohemianStalker

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:49:12 PM

And here are some facts:

Blackcoin is currently valued around 40x more than Silkcoin.

If you are investing today into blackcoin and you expect double or triple growth you hope that someone else will put 10 000 000 - 20 000 000$ into the coin.
With silkcoin you are hoping someone will invest 300 000- 600 000$ into it to achieve same investment growth

Consider this.

Silkcoin has better wallet (go check it). How come something 30-40x less valuable has better wallet which is single most important thing?

Also go check Silkcoin ECOSYSTEM

What blackcoin idea will you recommend me to check?

By the way I hold both coins and considerable chunks of it. But if somebody asked me what to invest in I would say Silkcoin because it gives you much better chances. It comes down to risk/reward ratio and with blackoin there is too little reward.

ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:55:47 PM

I see. The title of your thread is misleading. To surpass Blackcoin most people would assume you mean price or market cap. Instead you just mean you believe it will outperform it from where both are currently. That's a much easier sell in my book for the short run.

In the long run, I'd need evidence SC will be around for the long haul. I expect most coins to be dead within months of their start, with only a few that have a good reason to exist being able to prosper and grow. I think BC could be one of those coins. If SC goes into the Necromicon and BC doesn't, in the long run it doesn't really matter what their comparative valuations are now.

I'd be cautious about touting software enhancements that can be easily copied, as those kinds of advantages are ephemeral. The more enduring advantages will come from more complex software solutions and systems that are not easily replicated, along with good marketing I suppose.

Best wishes,
ebliever

BohemianStalker

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:03:30 PM

I'd be cautious about touting software enhancements that can be easily copied, as those kinds of advantages are ephemeral. The more enduring advantages will come from more complex software solutions and systems that are not easily replicated, along with good marketing I suppose.

Best wishes,
ebliever

And blackcoin has very simple software solution while sc has much more complex one. You just kinda proven the point about blackcoing being bad investment ( not a month ago though).
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:12:05 PM

Best wishes,
ebliever

And blackcoin has very simple software solution while sc has much more complex one. You just kinda proven the point about blackcoing being bad investment ( not a month ago though).

What solution(s) are you referring to?

BohemianStalker

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:14:27 PM

Best wishes,
ebliever

What solution(s) are you referring to?

the most basic and important one - wallet.
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:34:08 PM

This may be just me, but I'm not that much impressed.

A new version of the SilkCoin wallet has been released, with improved market data, and the addition of an orderbook. Trading will be available in a future update as well. There’s also a social tab, with a built-in IRC client. (http://www.cryptoarticles.com/crypto-news/2014/5/22/silkcoin-wallet-update-marketing-push-coming-bittorrent-integration-planned)

Is that missing anything significant? Those are nice-to-haves, not must-haves that other alts will have to rush to emulate. (And if they are so great, why would it be hard to do so?)

As far as the transaction anonymity features go, the SilkCoin team will keep a close eye on future developments in other coins, and integrate the best fit option into SC. (same link)

I think this is smart, and basically just tracking a bit behind Blackcoin's own announced intention of adding anonymity. There are a couple approaches out there being pioneered by Dark, Monero and X11 among others. I suspect more than one method may be "good enough" so in the long run we may see a couple methods used for anonymity by the alts. (All serious altcoins will be doing anonymity, I'm convinced, one way or another.)

ecoinspro

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 06:36:15 PM

SC seems promising from what you guys say
but it always depend on the developer and the community that is built around it

GiorgosK

Activity: 478
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 06:46:04 PM

I love SC I have mined a few coins
just hold them and I think it will be a great value one day
if its not pumped and dumped !!!

BitBay - The Future of Free Markets  |  BCT thread  |  https://bitbay.market
Dynamic Peg  - Whitepaper out  -  Working implementation to be released soon
Web Markeplace coming Fall 2018
nzminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 01:30:53 AM

This may be just me, but I'm not that much impressed.

A new version of the SilkCoin wallet has been released, with improved market data, and the addition of an orderbook. Trading will be available in a future update as well. There’s also a social tab, with a built-in IRC client. (http://www.cryptoarticles.com/crypto-news/2014/5/22/silkcoin-wallet-update-marketing-push-coming-bittorrent-integration-planned)

Is that missing anything significant? Those are nice-to-haves, not must-haves that other alts will have to rush to emulate. (And if they are so great, why would it be hard to do so?)

As far as the transaction anonymity features go, the SilkCoin team will keep a close eye on future developments in other coins, and integrate the best fit option into SC. (same link)

I think this is smart, and basically just tracking a bit behind Blackcoin's own announced intention of adding anonymity. There are a couple approaches out there being pioneered by Dark, Monero and X11 among others. I suspect more than one method may be "good enough" so in the long run we may see a couple methods used for anonymity by the alts. (All serious altcoins will be doing anonymity, I'm convinced, one way or another.)

Yes i agree i think most altcoins will do so and if Zerocoin gets adopted on bitcoin, well that puts an end to the need of darkcoin.

blakely

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:52:20 AM

You think silkcoin is better than blackcoin because it has a better looking wallet.
 Shocked
nzminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 06:00:52 AM

You think silkcoin is better than blackcoin because it has a better looking wallet.
 Shocked

Silkcoins wallet is fantastic but i wouldn't invest in any coin because of the wallet...

What I invest in is innovation that fills a need in the market, silkcoin has this. Silkcoin will be introducing the "eco-system", the eco-system will contain a p2p social network owned by all of us; i.e. a competitor to facebook and twitter, it will be introducing a decentralized exchange where we can trade our bitcoins for silkcoins without using a centralized exchange, a marketplace(STILL AN UNKNOWN) where people can sell & buy goods and services(no need for ebay and no restrictions on what we are allowed to sell), a p2p file sharing network and a a lot of other features that we haven't even thought of yet. Remember this eco-system is completely censorship free, it will be a free zone of the internet and silkcoin will be the main currency here. This eco-system uses the silkcoin blockchain to operate.

Silkcoin will be one of the first crypto-currencies to have an alias system, where we can now send coins to actual names instead of using long addresses.

Marketcap is currently $350k, it has a lot of room for growth considering what altcoins are ahead of it currently. It really is a no brainier.

Can anyone tell what they have against silkcoin I would really love to know why you think silkcoin is not worth your time.

Cheers.

The wallet design is not a big deal for me, however i commend any developers who have redesigned the wallet, since 99% of coins have the same looking wallet as bitcoin, and i think that makes it look cheap.
Worldcoin and Megacoin are a couple of other coins that come to mind with a different wallet.

But yes, innovation is the single most important factor for any currency, the silkcoin devs have done a damn good job, and no i dont think the name suggests anything illegal, the silk road is a term used for ancient trade routes, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Road
and the promoters are using this as a modern implementation of trading, so i think it fits well.

Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 01:29:41 PM

Yes, "adding" anon is the flavor of the month.

If you read gmaxwell's complete destruction of the sub-optimal DRK anon approach...
You begin to realize that anon has to built-in from the ground up...
It's not something you just "tack on" later = common knowledge among Devs.

On the other hand:

(1)  Anon may be VASTLY overrated...
Who cares about anon buying meals, cigs, booze, tickets...
And with cars, real estate you DON'T WANT anon... you want it registered.

(2)  Yes, it all comes down to "good enough".

As for SC, the wallet is very nice...
But I would like an explanation why anyone needs a coin for social networking.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: