Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:40:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wireless KVM switch  (Read 2757 times)
AniceInovation (OP)
Donator

Activity: 446
Merit: 262

Interesting.

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 04:53:40 AM

And so i was troubleshooting one rig when suddenly TeamViewer stops connecting.
Obviously the computer crashed - not exactly.
Connected a monitor and mouse, computer was very sluggish, but i was able to close cgminer and open it again, and it kept mining happily.

This software KVM is a great idea, but the perfect solution would be to have a wireless KVM device per miner, all connected to my wireless network, to witch i would connect using my main PC.
No software, no sluggish/unworkable software KVM. Heck, i could even go to bios using such a device.

I wonder, is there any cheap solution? Any cheap wireless KVM?
The cheaper ones i have found cost 250$, it could get expensive very fast.

Any alternatives are welcome Cheesy
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 05:10:07 AM

why not a kvm over IP switch.  They make them for 4, 8, 16, 32 computers.

Any reason it needs to be wireless.  Are you rigs in different locations?

Bad news is kvm over IP switches tend to be expensive.  $700 but that gets your 8 rigs so all depends on how much you want it.  Might be able to find one on ebay for 75% off.
AniceInovation (OP)
Donator

Interesting.

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 07:04:14 AM

Yeah, they are spread trough the house as heaters, connected to internet by wireless.
Needing a cable for KVM would defeat the purpose Smiley

But then again, i could always bridge the wireless lan to the LAN port, with a small RJ-45 cable connect a KVM IP like this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Port-KVM-over-TCP-IP-Switch-Dongle-PS-2-IPK-101-ie3-/200701343430?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2ebabb76c6

But then again, i get a software layer; if the computer crashes, the bridge stops functioning, and i'm back to square one Sad

I'm in to any ideas, even a DIY solution.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 02:29:48 PM

Yeah, they are spread trough the house as heaters, connected to internet by wireless.
Needing a cable for KVM would defeat the purpose Smiley

But then again, i could always bridge the wireless lan to the LAN port, with a small RJ-45 cable connect a KVM IP like this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Port-KVM-over-TCP-IP-Switch-Dongle-PS-2-IPK-101-ie3-/200701343430?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2ebabb76c6

But then again, i get a software layer; if the computer crashes, the bridge stops functioning, and i'm back to square one Sad

I'm in to any ideas, even a DIY solution.

Yeah the KVM would need independent connectivity.  It likely will be too expensive but what you would want is a wireless bridge (many routers can be turned into bridges).  Now you have a wireless link w/ multiple ethernet ports at each "rig site".  Plug the rig into one, and the kvm over IP switch into the other.  You no longer need "native wifi" on the rig.

But yeah having 4+ rigs at different locations will be expensive to KVM.  KVM is expensive enough when it is one location but at least you get economies of scale.  If you could find some cheap KVM over IP on ebay and some cheap routers which either have bridge support or can be flashed to use DD-WRT you might be able to pull you are still talking $200+.  Unless your rigs are very large (say 2GH+) the cost is just to prohibitive.

I am thinking of a crazy setup like this:
1 42U rack.  
1 rackmount switch
1 rackmount 8 port switchable PDU (remote power access)
1 rackmount KVM over IP
8 rigs w 4x 5970 ea.
watercooled w/ monitoring gear.

Yeah it likely doesn't make sense but it would save about $2000 a year in AC costs and give me all the "free" hotwater I can use.
thirdlight

Activity: 445
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 02:50:47 PM

How about powerline networking?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 02:54:08 PM

How about powerline networking?

Good option I hadn't thought of that.  The only problem is it tends to not be much cheaper than wireless and sometimes is more expensive but I have found it more reliable.  My entertainment center is wired up by powerline.  I keep telling myself someday I will wire it up w/ cat5 ...
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 04:07:45 AM

what you're asking for is something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834993716
the bad news is the range of that is roughly 30' max and it's going to be slow (lets see how much video we can squeeze over a 110mbit link)

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
AniceInovation (OP)
Donator

Interesting.

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 01:02:32 AM

It has sufficient speed, too bad it's only 30 feed distance.
The powerline + wired ikvm sounds like a plan, must dig it deeper
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: