Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:33:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is bitcoinaverage ignoring Chinese excnanges?  (Read 963 times)
mailmansDOG (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:08:54 PM

Today I took a look at https://bitcoinaverage.com
Overall it's a great website. But the fact that they ignore the major Chinese exchanges for their stats bothers me.

Let me break that down for you
huobi's volume as of posting this:฿67955
okcoin's 24 hr volume as of posting this:฿75148.96
Btctrade's volume as of posting this:฿7492.35

And what's the total volume bitcoinaverage showed for btc/cny trades today? ฿8476.24 Why is that? See below.

Exchanges bitcoinaverage is ignoring:
btctrade   
coinbase   
huobi   
okcoin   

Many people trust bitcoinaverage for it's information and many other bebsite's use it's api to inform their user's as well. Because of it ignoring those sxchanged BTC/USD shows to be having a lead in trading every day wich is obviusly not true. I don't know what bitcoinaverage has to earn from this but as a stats providing website accuracy should be something importand to them. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
beatljuice

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 12:41:29 AM

Maybe they used to, but with all the ups and downs the Chinese market has drug us through for the last 6 months they got tired of considering them.
Bogleg

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 01:06:47 AM

The price is not really relevant in China if people can't move their money out freely.

RMB is more than 30% undervalued, so it is hard to determine the fair value of bitcoin using price alone.

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 03:39:42 AM

Have important update - we've made a decision on chinese exchanges suspected in faking trading volume figures.

fxbtc integration changed to calculate actual trades and now it shows a much lower and probably real volume.
okcoin does not provide trading history data, so we can't go that route. So okcoin has been removed, it's put to ignored exchanges list now.
btctrade - removed also, for same reasons.

As a result of this CNY market trading volume shrank by around ten times, and now has much lower influence on global average price.

If someone has any information relevant to the case - we're happy to listen. We will probably review this decision once this situation will remedy itself.

Alex at BitcoinAverage.

Why huobi isn't there?

Huobi is currently ignored due to its extremely high trading volume (which has now been confirmed as being due to their 0% trading fees)

We are seeking a solution so that we can integrate exchanges of this nature without it significantly distorting the price. If anyone has ideas on this feel free to contact us

Regards
Shaun at BitcoinAverage

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
BitcoinAverage

Activity: 147
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 09:55:46 AM

I don't know what bitcoinaverage has to earn from this but as a stats providing website accuracy should be something importand to them. 

We don't earn anything from ignoring an exchange, in fact we earn next to nothing by maintaining this service Smiley

As Newar has kindly quoted out comments on this already, there isn't much i can add. We would welcome a solution to this problem, and of course the code is open source so anyone willing can email us with a discussion on implementing something

Free Live Price Data: https://BitcoinAverage.com/ - API: https://apiv2.bitcoinaverage.com/ - Twitter: https://twitter.com/BitcoinAverage
BitcoinAverage (Blockchain Data LTD) © 2012-2017
mailmansDOG (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:01:40 AM

I don't know what bitcoinaverage has to earn from this but as a stats providing website accuracy should be something importand to them. 

We don't earn anything from ignoring an exchange, in fact we earn next to nothing by maintaining this service Smiley

As Newar has kindly quoted out comments on this already, there isn't much i can add. We would welcome a solution to this problem, and of course the code is open source so anyone willing can email us with a discussion on implementing something

Oh well, thanks for the swift reply. I've nothing to add either. I'm sure that you know better than me. Wish for the best.

Shallow

Activity: 938
Merit: 255

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 07:10:59 AM

Some of the Chinese exchanges are suspected of faking volume.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
CoinMKT.com

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 07:24:59 AM

Some of the Chinese exchanges are suspected of faking volume.

This is very much true and as such they try to play the market price swings too. 
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:04:38 AM

There are currency controls in China that restrict the price of the Chinese currency and that restrict movement of currency coming into and out of the country. This distorts prices.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: