Bitcoin Forum
July 03, 2024, 08:48:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-05-22] Bitcoin Payments Initiative: Budweiser Partners with Coinbase  (Read 2129 times)
Bitcopia (OP)

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 02:06:31 AM

https://coinreport.net/budweiser-partners-coinbase/

Budweiser will be accepting bitcoin as payment at concession stands AND giving $10 in free bitcoins to all attendees of the Budweiser made in America Festival. They give you $10 in bitcoins to spend! Imagine how many new people this is going to open up bitcoin to as not some crazy, impossible to understand drug dealers currency, but as a real world frictionless payment system.

"Budweiser has the potential to get a strong digital currency following as their event’s Concert Series runs between April and August, traveling through Wisconsin to California."
mercistheman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 02:54:33 AM

Wow... King of beers to be King of Coin!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 04:50:23 AM

Great! And all of a sudden, Budweiser becomes my favorite beer brand. Heineken and Carlsberg can go to hell.  Grin Interesting to see Coinbase scoring over Bitpay... despite some serious fundraising done by the latter.
Bitcopia (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 04:56:32 AM

Great! And all of a sudden, Budweiser becomes my favorite beer brand. Heineken and Carlsberg can go to hell.  Grin Interesting to see Coinbase scoring over Bitpay... despite some serious fundraising done by the latter.

Eh, as watery as it sounds, I guess I could drink a Bud this weekend as a congrats.

BitPay seems to have the lead in payment processing, while Coinbase is likely generating most of their revenue from brokering. Coinbase threw in payment processing as an afterthought, while that has been BitPay's model since inception. And both companies have acquired similar amounts of fundraising if I'm not mistaken. BitPay's large round just happened more recently.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:34:17 AM

What we need right now is a Beer vending machine which accepts Bitcoins, just like the Marijuana vending machine (USD and BTC accepted) that we have in Denver, Colorado.  Grin
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:45:30 AM

Dude!! I NEVER drink Bud! But this is HUGE!!!!!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 01:03:56 PM

Earlier I had posted that we should forget about the giants such as Ebay and Amazon, and should concentrate in the mid-level companies. With a market cap of $177 billion, Anheuser-Busch is another giant, but I'll welcome its entry to the Bitcoin sector with open hands.  Grin
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3413

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 01:12:47 PM

Free as in free beer Wink

MIT students attending the Budweiser made in America Festival will make a whopping $110 over the coming months Cool

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 02:33:17 PM

MIT students attending the Budweiser made in America Festival will make a whopping $110 over the coming months Cool

I believe that Bud got the idea from the Bitcoin give-away at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Anyway... it has already triggered two or three other Bitcoin give-aways, such as the Coinbase .edu freebie.
CaptainBeck

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:19:08 PM

How ever they got this idea its great to see a major brand joining the BTC world, this can only be a good thing for BTC as it spreads the market and pushes it further out of the shadowy places that the public thinks it lives in.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:27:19 PM

How ever they got this idea its great to see a major brand joining the BTC world, this can only be a good thing for BTC as it spreads the market and pushes it further out of the shadowy places that the public thinks it lives in.

The so called shadowy places (such as Silk Road 2.0, Agora.etc) will exist as long as buying and selling of drugs is illegal. But it is important for the Bitcoin sector to reduce the importance of such ventures in the crypto economy.
CaptainBeck

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:34:01 PM

The so called shadowy places (such as Silk Road 2.0, Agora.etc) will exist as long as buying and selling of drugs is illegal. But it is important for the Bitcoin sector to reduce the importance of such ventures in the crypto economy.

ofc they will always exist, but alot of the public think thats all BTC is for, even thou you can do all that illegal stuff with fiat, but no one says not using dollar thats for illegal stuff. The more major brands use it, the brighter BTC gets.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 04:39:37 PM

ofc they will always exist, but alot of the public think thats all BTC is for, even thou you can do all that illegal stuff with fiat, but no one says not using dollar thats for illegal stuff. The more major brands use it, the brighter BTC gets.

With Visa / Master spending millions of USD in lobbying against the Bitcoin, we should not be expecting too much positive coverage from the mainstream media. But at the same time, media lies are not having as much effect as it once had, thanks to the social media.
CaptainBeck

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 05:14:34 PM

With Visa / Master spending millions of USD in lobbying against the Bitcoin, we should not be expecting too much positive coverage from the mainstream media. But at the same time, media lies are not having as much effect as it once had, thanks to the social media.

Old Masters will also try to protect their space, but doesnt stop new things coming. Big Brands wont have an alliance with card companies but ofc if card companies get laws change it would hurt, but lucky for most of us, they dont have a great lobby powers in countries that arent the US.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 12:16:41 AM

Dude!! I NEVER drink Bud! But this is HUGE!!!!!

This is a HUGE development for the King of Coins.
Is the Budweiser made in America Festival one of the biggest breakthrough stories in the whole history of Bitcoin?
I had a Bud this week (first in several years) and it really wasn't too bad.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:35:07 AM

Wow this is really neat and not expected
Budweiser giving out Bitcoins that's just cool
Glad to hear more good news Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
ganabb

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:49:32 AM

Coinbase shook hands with Budweiser cool. The both Partners here are astounding. Nobody was trying to "stop bitcoin".

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:19:34 AM

price just jumped 5.5% in literally 21 minutes. do you suppose this is why?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Bitcopia (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:34:53 AM

I doubt it, mostly because this was announced 2 or 3 days ago, but it definitely didn't hurt the positive sentiment!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 07:29:45 AM

Nope... there were some bulk purchases (each of them averaging around BTC1,000) in the BTC-E exchange. That might be one of the reasons. The other reason might be the success of Bitpay fundraising.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: