Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:28:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox stealing accounts  (Read 2547 times)
cuz0882 (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 01:20:20 AM

I reported my Yubikey lost to Mt Gox support and provided the requested information to prove it was my account. They said unless I find and return the yubikey they will never allow me access to my account again. If I attempt to open a ticket they immediately close it. They admit to knowing that it is indeed my account but said they don't believe I have actually lost my yubikey, even though it has not been used since I reported it lost. I was assured even before I purchased a yubikey that if it was ever lost its not a problem. I guess it depends on how much money is in your account.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 01:51:22 AM

I suggest trying to find MagialTux on IRC. I would imagine you should be able to recover but you would probably have to provide the information required for AML which means you would need an apostle to sign a notarized copy of your ID. If you have not provided this information in the past you might be SOL. I am guessing at the very least one of the admins will respond to you on here since they have responded to problems people had in the past.

I think your title is a little out of line. It implies that they up and stole accounts but yours is merely locked for security reasons.  There is a difference and I am sure people have tried to phish accounts claiming the experience you say you had.
cuz0882 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 02:25:35 AM

I suggest trying to find MagialTux on IRC. I would imagine you should be able to recover but you would probably have to provide the information required for AML which means you would need an apostle to sign a notarized copy of your ID. If you have not provided this information in the past you might be SOL. I am guessing at the very least one of the admins will respond to you on here since they have responded to problems people had in the past.

I think your title is a little out of line. It implies that they up and stole accounts but yours is merely locked for security reasons.  There is a difference and I am sure people have tried to phish accounts claiming the experience you say you had.
I'm not locked out for security reasons...They already accepted that it's my account but don't care...It's been 10 days already, how long should I wait to consider it stolen? They would have unlinked it already but since they believe I'm in possession of the yubikey, they won't unlink it until I return it.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 02:29:28 AM

Stop spreading FUD. You've already received answers to this issue. You lied and changed your story. They shouldn't give you your account back.

For context, in case you are reading this and haven't read cuz0882's other thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61997.0

cuz0882 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 02:35:17 AM

Stop spreading FUD. You've already received answers to this issue. You lied and changed your story. They shouldn't give you your account back.

For context, in case you are reading this and haven't read cuz0882's other thread:
You're right, they should just be able to keep thousands of dollars because they don't like me...
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 02:40:41 AM

You're right, they should just be able to keep thousands of dollars because they don't like me...
I don't know whether you were joking or not when you said you flushed the damn thing down the toilet, but for fucks sake what were you thinking?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
cuz0882 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 02:43:35 AM

You're right, they should just be able to keep thousands of dollars because they don't like me...I originally reported it broken, then they said if it was lost they would unlink it but broken ones have to be returned. Since I didn't want to pay a hundred bucks to mail it back or risk it being lost in the mail I reported it lost. They verified the account was mine and refused to unlink it without the yubikey. So mailing it would really be stupid at that point. I would pay a hundred bucks to mail it plus if its lost I would really have no proof. And seeing as they have gone back on there word already...The guy who loses his yubikey should not be a in a better position then the guy who had his yubikey stop working. Lost, stolen, broken..It's all the same.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 02:46:34 AM

You're right, they should just be able to keep thousands of dollars because they don't like me...I originally reported it broken, then they said if it was lost they would unlink it but broken ones have to be returned. Since I didn't want to pay a hundred bucks to mail it back or risk it being lost in the mail I reported it lost. They verified the account was mine and refused to unlink it without the yubikey. So mailing it would really be stupid at that point. I would pay a hundred bucks to mail it plus if its lost I would really have no proof. And seeing as they have gone back on there word already...The guy who loses his yubikey should not be a in a better position then the guy who had his yubikey stop working. Lost, stolen, broken..It's all the same.
What ass-backward country do you live in that would cost you $100 to mail a letter to Japan?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
cuz0882 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 02:49:48 AM

What ass-backward country do you live in that would cost you $100 to mail a letter to Japan?
That's what it costs with a tracking number.
bitflower

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 02:54:10 AM

Hello,

We can unlink your Yubikey for now but we will need to give your account AML status. You will have limited access to your account, but you will be able to login and trade. If you could either mail back the broken Yubikey to us, we will lift the AML flag and mail you a replacement Yubikey through EMS for free. Please be aware that you do not need to mail the Yubikey through any express services since normal mail should get here without any trouble or high expense. If you are unable to mail the Yubikey, please go through our verification process to lift the AML flag https://mtgox.com/forms/verification

We sincerely apologize for the issue you are having and would appreciate your cooperation through this matter.
cuz0882 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 03:00:39 AM

Hello,

We can unlink your Yubikey for now but we will need to give your account AML status. You will have limited access to your account, but you will be able to login and trade. If you could either mail back the broken Yubikey to us, we will lift the AML flag and mail you a replacement Yubikey through EMS for free. Please be aware that you do not need to mail the Yubikey through any express services since normal mail should get here without any trouble or high expense. If you are unable to mail the Yubikey, please go through our verification process to lift the AML flag https://mtgox.com/forms/verification

We sincerely apologize for the issue you are having and would appreciate your cooperation through this matter.

I will believe it when I see it. If it was so simple it should not have taken 10 days to mention it.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 03:07:37 AM

Hello,

Like I said, when its lost in the mail I'm screwed.
You seem to take that for granted? Is the mail service wherever you are from really that unreliable?

cuz0882 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 03:13:33 AM

Hello,

Like I said, when its lost in the mail I'm screwed.
You seem to take that for granted? Is the mail service wherever you are from really that unreliable?
I think mail loss on average is 1-3% depending. More likely it would get lost once it got there. Even though it is unlikely, its just as risky as mailing cash in a envelope. Clearly it would be a problem if it got lost despite their claims.
bitflower

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 03:27:04 AM

As we mentioned in our ticket, if you do not prefer to spend $90 on mailing the Yubikey which could be lost, you can always order a new Yubikey from our page https://yubikey.mtgox.com/ for less than $30.

Regarding giving you limited access to your account; we have been asking you on the Support page several times whether if this is how you would like to proceed. If that is all right, please let us know on your ticket and we can resolve this for you.
bitflower

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 03:35:50 AM

Hello,

Please be aware that even if you select the most expensive option (Express Mail®International Flat Rate Envelope), it would only cost $38 from the US and will get to us within 3 to 5 days. You do not need to select this option, since you can just choose to mail through First Class by taping the Yubikey to a letter. Even with tracking and insurance, it should only cost aronud $10.
cuz0882 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 03:45:54 AM

As we mentioned in our ticket, if you do not prefer to spend $90 on mailing the Yubikey which could be lost, you can always order a new Yubikey from our page https://yubikey.mtgox.com/ for less than $30.

Regarding giving you limited access to your account; we have been asking you on the Support page several times whether if this is how you would like to proceed. If that is all right, please let us know on your ticket and we can resolve this for you.
Nothing was ever mention in my ticket. I can't post anything on my ticket because you guys closed it, and whenever I open a new one you guys delete it.
bitflower

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 03:52:12 AM

We have been trying to contact you at the original ticket, giving you the same options. We have been waiting for your response since we can not do anything until you confirm that it is okay to have limited access to your account. Please be aware that you have sent in over 30 tickets which left us with no choice but t close and merge them to the original ticket. We have replied to you there, so please proceed to the original ticket and let us know what you would like to do we can assist you. We appreciate your cooperation.
cuz0882 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 04:05:34 AM

We have been trying to contact you at the original ticket, giving you the same options. We have been waiting for your response since we can not do anything until you confirm that it is okay to have limited access to your account. Please be aware that you have sent in over 30 tickets which left us with no choice but t close and merge them to the original ticket. We have replied to you there, so please proceed to the original ticket and let us know what you would like to do we can assist you. We appreciate your cooperation.

That's funny, the last 2 posts on my ticket are mine. You guys only just posted on there today.

"Unfortunately, only our management group can unlink Yubikeys but he is unable to do so until the broken Yubikey is returned. If you wish, we can unlink it temporarily as long as you are ok with limited access. You will only be able to access and trade but not withdraw until it is physically mailed back to us.

Thanks,"

This one was my favorite though...

"Our apologies for misunderstanding the issue. You only need to mail the physical Yubikey back if you would like a free replacement. If you just want it unlinked from your account, we can proceed to do so. Please confirm the ownership by providing the last 3 transactions of your account.

Thanks,"
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 04:20:14 AM

It is quite obvious that you are just being immature at this point. I think MTGox is acting very reasonably and they have even implemented the solution that I mentioned and consider to be the most reasonable. If you really have thousands of dollars, whatever the cost to mail the YubiKey or do another AML verification should be irrelevant. If I bought a Yubikey for security I would be happy that they had gone to such lengths to protect my account.

You should change the title of the thread and if not the moderators should delete this whole thread. If you continue to post lies they should disable your account.
cuz0882 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 04:22:40 AM

It is quite obvious that you are just being immature at this point. I think MTGox is acting very reasonably and they have even implemented the solution that I mentioned and consider to be the most reasonable. If you really have thousands of dollars, whatever the cost to mail the YubiKey or do another AML verification should be irrelevant. If I bought a Yubikey for security I would be happy that they had gone to such lengths to protect my account.

You should change the title of the thread and if not the moderators should delete this whole thread. If you continue to post lies they should disable your account.
This is the first they have mention AML verification in the 10 days I have been trying to solve this problem. The cost of mailing a yubikey is also not the reason I have not done it, its the cost of losing it in the mail.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: