Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:19:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-05-23] Bitcoin Is Boring, Which Means It Might Finally Be Useful  (Read 1173 times)
lynn_402 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 04:56:14 PM

http://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/read/bitcoin-is-boring?utm_source=motherboardfb
bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:53:21 AM

Bitcoin Is Boring, Which Means It Might Finally Be Useful

I think many people have not heard yet about Bitcoin, which is very different from boring.

In technology years, Bitcoin is starting to gray.
A six billion usd market is gray? This is only the beginning  Smiley

lynn_402 (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 01:58:24 PM

Bitcoin Is Boring, Which Means It Might Finally Be Useful

I think many people have not heard yet about Bitcoin, which is very different from boring.

In technology years, Bitcoin is starting to gray.
A six billion usd market is gray? This is only the beginning  Smiley

I definitely agree with you!
However, I believe the article meant that it was "boring" in the sense that there's less controversy surrounding it, less price swings, and last November's "bitcoin mania" is finally calmed down a notch. All of these things might be interesting for the future relatively stable growth of its network.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:29:52 PM

The vast majority of the world's population don't know what Bitcoin is. There is another large segment of the population, who have heard about Bitcoin, but are too afraid to use it (as a result of the media scare stories). Things will definitely change for the better, but no one can predict how much time it is going to take.  Grin
Krang

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:28:13 AM

It's been a pretty boring year but bitcoin is far from boring in itself.
Mr Crabs

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:51:38 AM

I don't think it's boring at all, but of course it us useful and will become more so.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:09:20 PM

It is not boring if you are in the green. People who bought Bitcoin for $10 or $15 per coin won't be complaining much. On the other hand, imagine about those guys, who bought Bitcoin at $1,200 per coin.  Grin
Beyonce

Activity: 86

Surfbort.

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:29:16 PM

It is not boring if you are in the green. People who bought Bitcoin for $10 or $15 per coin won't be complaining much. On the other hand, imagine about those guys, who bought Bitcoin at $1,200 per coin.  Grin

Well it still wouldnt be boring. I think there time would be preocupied by watching the price all the time lol.

Bow down, bitches.
lynn_402 (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:44:28 PM

Well it still wouldnt be boring. I think there time would be preocupied by watching the price all the time lol.

The last week's uptrend might give them some hope Smiley
SOAD

Activity: 324

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:47:22 PM

The last week's uptrend might give them some hope Smiley

Cheesy I think it most certainly will and I bet theyre praying it keeps going.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:24:28 PM

Cheesy I think it most certainly will and I bet theyre praying it keeps going.

Well... the bad thing is that most of them will immediately convert the coins to fiat, once the exchange rate approaches the purchase price. People need to understand that Bitcoin has no magic in it, to bring you 100x profit in 6 months. Be patient, and enjoy the benefits.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 01:49:36 AM

bitcoin is anything but boring.. something that volatile and nascent is bound to provide a exhilarating experience. it may have slowed down recently, but the same thing happened before last year's run-up.
Faince1985

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 05:25:26 AM

These people just don't realize the true worth of bitcoins, it might succes not because it's boring -and can't pinpoint what's boring about it anyway- but because it provides a reasonable way to transfer money.

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 05:35:20 AM

These people just don't realize the true worth of bitcoins, it might succes not because it's boring -and can't pinpoint what's boring about it anyway- but because it provides a reasonable way to transfer money.

not even speaking about bitcoin's worth, it's still very interesting because it is the exact opposite of what a known quantity. there has been nothing similar to bitcoin in the history of mankind. not knowing what the future holds is quite interesting to me.
open-mind

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 12:49:29 PM

Bitcoin is boring when you have no idea about its advantages.
Captain America

Activity: 25

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 02:09:21 PM

I totally agree! I think that saying "boring" about the currency is ridiculous
lynn_402 (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 03:35:29 PM

I totally agree! I think that saying "boring" about the currency is ridiculous

You might not have read the article Wink
It did not affirm the currency was boring, but simply that it was less prone to controversy and hype, which is a good thing for Bitcoin.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 03:41:40 PM

The major developments have been very technical in nature and largely ignored. We've got all these metacoins and cool stuff like stealth addresses and CoinJoin. We've had the cool stuff overshadowed by petty drama, bankruptcies, and legal horseshit. It really DOES look like legacy banking based on what the forum talks about. Replace Bitcoin with something like BNP, altcoins become WaPo, Chase, JPM, whatever... imagine price discussion as discussion on the banks' stock prices and you're there.

I'd love to see the devs be given a dedicated subforum solely to discuss the cool news. There are all sorts of amazing things which can be done with the new tools and protocols being built, and they're kind of stuffed under the rug. Hard to move forward when we're all chattering about the latest price movements and bureaucrat letters.
lynn_402 (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 03:45:49 PM

The major developments have been very technical in nature and largely ignored. We've got all these metacoins and cool stuff like stealth addresses and CoinJoin. We've had the cool stuff overshadowed by petty drama, bankruptcies, and legal horseshit. It really DOES look like legacy banking based on what the forum talks about. Replace Bitcoin with something like BNP, altcoins become WaPo, Chase, JPM, whatever... imagine price discussion as discussion on the banks' stock prices and you're there.

I'd love to see the devs be given a dedicated subforum solely to discuss the cool news. There are all sorts of amazing things which can be done with the new tools and protocols being built, and they're kind of stuffed under the rug. Hard to move forward when we're all chattering about the latest price movements and bureaucrat letters.

Just read about stealth adresses thanks to you; this is awesome. I read almost everyday about cryptocurrencies and I was not aware of that.
This might be bad news for the Darkcoin bubble.

I second having a subforum dedicated to cool technical news.
lovegood

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 03:47:22 PM

I also don't understand it! Is the use of dollars "not boring"?

Maybe I'm wrong and  this means mining is "boring"?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: