Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:00:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero or Bytecoin?  (Read 15476 times)
lordoliver
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1020

expect(brain).toHaveBeenUsed()

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:55:54 PM

No more FUD--Let's get the facts straight in large red lettering too

First you all need to read: http://bytecoiner.org/about.php
This is a BCN community website that has all of the information you need to know in one place.  This info used to be scattered everywhere, but now it is nicely consolidated on this website--this is not fabricated.

BCN was not premined.  It was released on July 4, 2012.  Opponents argue that the release wasn't "public enough", and thus conclude the coin was "premined".  Better call Bitcoin premined too, then!  The developers of BCN actually worked with CryptoNote on the CryptoNight algorithm and BCN formed from there.  Read the information from that link and see for yourself.

Monero is basically the taco shop version of BCN, IMO.  The logo and name give the impression of a dollar store and the developers don't seem as passionate as the original creators of the tech (and rightfully so).  The Monero devs are very quick to protect what is in their best financial interests, and that is obvious from their snarky comments scattered on reddit and this forum.  Users really need to make their own decision, and the market will reflect that.  Bytecoin has a much more favorable risk to reward ratio at the moment, and it is the original and most secure anonymous coin out there at the moment.  All the Shibes who blindly moved to DarkCoin will eventually stampede over themselves to the CryptoNote camp in the last two quarters of 2014.  If you are using an anonymous coin for its actual anonymous properties (and not just following hype or trying to make money) there is not a huge incentive for you to care that a lot of the coin has been mined already.  After all, bitcoin is over 60% mined!  If anything I would much rather support a coin like duckNote over Monero, because the name is hilarious rather than boring.  Marketability is not all about the specific name, but has to do with the atmosphere surrounding the coin and the coin's feel/emotional response.  Monero is no bueno.

BCN FTW

Hope that helps, GL.

please tell me on which website this so called news of 2012 were posted. it was NOT on bytecoin.org, because there was no page!
eizh

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:19:27 PM

Hope that helps, GL.

Indeed, FUD is bad. But math is great. Allow me to inject some basic arithmetic into this.

Difficulty is stored in the blockchain and division by block time gives the network hashrate. Anyone is free to check for themselves that BCN difficulty ranged between 50k-100k from July 2012 to January 2014. This corresponds to ~600 H/s total in the network. Even with the old crippled miner of BCN, this corresponds to less than 50 physical CPUs mining 80% of the total supply that will ever exist. With some simple loop optimizations on the miner, this corresponds to less than 10 physical CPUs.

Market participants are individually free to judge the implications of this. FUD is superfluous.
rethink-your-strategy

Activity: 173
Merit: 182

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:21:06 PM

First you all need to read: http://bytecoiner.org/about.php
This is a BCN community website that has all of the information you need to know in one place.  This info used to be scattered everywhere, but now it is nicely consolidated on this website--this is not fabricated.

BCN was not premined.  It was released on July 4, 2012.  Opponents argue that the release wasn't "public enough", and thus conclude the coin was "premined".  Better call Bitcoin premined too, then!  The developers of BCN actually worked with CryptoNote on the CryptoNight algorithm and BCN formed from there.  Read the information from that link and see for yourself.

Monero is basically the taco shop version of BCN, IMO.  The logo and name give the impression of a dollar store and the developers don't seem as passionate as the original creators of the tech (and rightfully so).  The Monero devs are very quick to protect what is in their best financial interests, and that is obvious from their snarky comments scattered on reddit and this forum.  Users really need to make their own decision, and the market will reflect that.  Bytecoin has a much more favorable risk to reward ratio at the moment, and it is the original and most secure anonymous coin out there at the moment.  All the Shibes who blindly moved to DarkCoin will eventually stampede over themselves to the CryptoNote camp in the last two quarters of 2014.  If you are using an anonymous coin for its actual anonymous properties (and not just following hype or trying to make money) there is not a huge incentive for you to care that a lot of the coin has been mined already.  After all, bitcoin is over 60% mined!  If anything I would much rather support a coin like duckNote over Monero, because the name is hilarious rather than boring.  Marketability is not all about the specific name, but has to do with the atmosphere surrounding the coin and the coin's feel/emotional response.  Monero is no bueno.

BCN FTW

Hope that helps, GL.

http://satoshi.nakamotoinstitute.org/emails/cryptography/

He published the whitepaper and discussed it on The Cryptography Mailing List in 2008, and then subsequently announced its release on the same mailing list. This is a mailing list with tens of thousands of subscribers from all over the world. The mailing list is publicly catalogued by several different sources, and is indexed by all major search engines. IF Bytecoin was launched 2 years ago, and I believe that to be utter bullshit, then it was certainly not launched and made available to nearly the same number of people as Bitcoin was.

Given the nature of the whitepaper and the code, and given that anything with this level of mathematics and cryptography would interest so many people around the world, there is no logical reason for it to have been released secretly and in a manner that kept it hidden from view from the very ones that could double-check the cryptography and advance it. No academic on the face of the planet would hide their research in this way.

Oh and IF it was "released" on the dark web, surely there would be an OnionForum post announcing it? Or a TorChan post? Surely there would be some additional posts discussing it? Surely the Hidden Wiki would have an entry within a few months of its release?

Also, do you think we're fucking stupid?
darkota

Activity: 770

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:11:13 PM

This thread isnt even worth being made.

Bytecoin was mined 80% before it was made public, it's code was also a HUGE mess. According to Bytecoin's blockchain, the first block was mined in 2012, it's now 2014 and over 80% of it's entire coin supply has been mined by a few people.

Monero never had a instamine/premine like Bytecoin, and has the most optimized code of any cryptonote coin

There's no point in argueing simply because you can look at the Bytecoin blockchain for yourself, and see that the first blocks were mined in 2012, and that almost 90% of it's supply is already mined and in the hands of a few individuals.
lordoliver
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:30:48 PM

Bytecoin was mined 80% before it was made public, it's code was also a HUGE mess. According to Bytecoin's blockchain, the first block was mined in 2012, it's now 2014 and over 80% of it's entire coin supply has been mined by a few people.

Monero never had a instamine/premine like Bytecoin, and has the most optimized code of any cryptonote coin

There's no point in argueing simply because you can look at the Bytecoin blockchain for yourself, and see that the first blocks were mined in 2012, and that almost 90% of it's supply is already mined and in the hands of a few individuals.

you can surely fake the dates somehow, if they really stand in the blockchain. I honestly doubt, that this can be hidden for 1 1/2 years. Never...
And all the webpages didn't exist before end of 2013. Github was made end 2013. EVERYTHING. The wiki times can easily be faked as well as everything else. They were hiding the coin as long as possible. No exchange, usw. And now, as they are afraid, that Monero would steal their show, they are hurrying... suddenly they go public as much as they can...
seems like they are afraid that their money turns out to be playmoney...
darkota

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:32:30 PM

you can surely fake the dates somehow, if they really stand in the blockchain. I honestly doubt, that this can be hidden for 1 1/2 years. Never...
And all the webpages didn't exist before end of 2013. Github was made end 2013. EVERYTHING. The wiki times can easily be faked as well as everything else. They were hiding the coin as long as possible. No exchange, usw. And now, as they are afraid, that Monero would steal their show, they are hurrying... suddenly they go public as much as they can...

Stop trying to make up bullshit excuses. The blockchain doesn't lie and according to the blockchain, Bytecoin was started in 2012 and over 80% of all Bytecoins were mined by a few individuals. Bytecoin's code was also severely messed up aka Crappy, see github for reference. There's no argueing with that. The end.
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:33:24 PM

Quote from: babybonob
Users really need to make their own decision, and the market will reflect that.

It seems user did make their own decisions : just look at the 24h volume : nearly half a million dollar! Also, Monero has a way more favorable risk reward ratio:

- financially: XMR market cap is half BCN market cap and its not a premined so no risked to be dumped on;
- technically: nowadays most of the updates done to CN are done by the dev of XMR;
- philosophically: XMR seems to share the same Cryptonote ultimate goal : massive adoption.

To quote  Catherine_Erwin from the CN forum: There can't be too much information on CryptoNote currencies.  (source: https://forum.cryptonote.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=162&start=10#p722)

Why do you think the cryptonote core team split up with BCN members? They dont share the same ideals! One is operating behind a curtain and create sketchy stories for marketing purposes or worse perhaps out of greed,  the other values an open and transparent approach to built on direct and constant communication.

Follow the coin that share your ideals, this is as simple as that.
lordoliver
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:45:59 PM

Stop trying to make up bullshit excuses. The blockchain doesn't lie and according to the blockchain, Bytecoin was started in 2012 and over 80% of all Bytecoins were mined by a few individuals. Bytecoin's code was also severely messed up aka Crappy, see github for reference. There's no argueing with that. The end.

cmon. you can easily fake a blockchain if you can start it yourself.
just take maybe 2 or 3 Months and rent a bunch of Computers. You set the times of all computers 1 1/2 years earlier and start a changing algorithm that smoothy fakes longer time frames. voilà...
darkota

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:49:04 PM

just take maybe 2 or 3 Months and rent a bunch of Computers. You set the times of all on the time and set a changing algorithm that smoothy fakes longer time frames. voilà...

Again with the bullshit excuses. There's no point in trying to deny that Bytecoin was practically premined 80% in secret, from 2012 to 2014, and that most of the coins are in the hands of just a few people. The blockchain is proof.

lordoliver
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:51:08 PM

The blockchain is proof.

as explained its not...
its like a screenhot that can be photoshoped
darkota

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:52:00 PM

The blockchain is proof.

as explained its not...

Really, make a coin yourself, come back to me, I'll check the code. Then you try and fake the blockchain. You're just making up lies now my friend..
lordoliver
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:55:58 PM

The blockchain is proof.

as explained its not...

Really, make a coin yourself, come back to me, I'll check the code. Then you try and fake the blockchain. You're just making up lies now my friend..

so explain, why this is would be not possible?
just take maybe 2 or 3 Months and rent a bunch of Computers. You set the times of all computers 1 1/2 years earlier and start a changing algorithm that smoothy fakes longer time frames. voilà...
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:59:07 PM

Monero is basically the taco shop version of BCN, IMO.  The logo and name give the impression of a dollar store and the developers don't seem as passionate as the original creators of the tech (and rightfully so).  The Monero devs are very quick to protect what is in their best financial interests, and that is obvious from their snarky comments scattered on reddit and this forum.
Why do you write this? What is your motivation?
This is soooo wrong and you know it.
darkota

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:59:19 PM

The blockchain is proof.

as explained its not...

Please do the above, make a coin yourself, and try to fake the blockchain, lordoliver. I know you're not going to bother, since it's impossible....But it'd be funny to see you try.
kneim
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:02:40 PM

The coin making rich myself is the best one

lordoliver
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:04:47 PM

The blockchain is proof.

as explained its not...

Please do the above, make a coin yourself, and try to fake the blockchain, lordoliver. I know you're not going to bother, since it's impossible....But it'd be funny to see you try.

I don't want to do that. Because it costs a lot of effort. so why should i do it?
But you still didn't explain, why it is not possible.

Why can't you change the system time while the demon is running? Isn't the demon using it? And even if not a good programmer can surely change that in his version...
darkota

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:08:29 PM

The blockchain is proof.

as explained its not...

I don't want to do that. Because it costs a lot of effort. so why should i do it?

Why can't you change the system time while the demon is running? Isn't the demon using it? And even if not a good programmer can surely change that in his version...

As I said again earlier, There's no point in trying to make up bullshit excuses. The point is, the bytecoin's blockchain says the first coin was mined in 2012, and over 80% of it's coin supply have been mined by only a few addresses. You cannot deny that. It also wouldn't make any sense for them to "try and change" the blockchain date to 2 years earlier....Think before you type.
rethink-your-strategy

Activity: 173
Merit: 182

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:13:04 PM

just take maybe 2 or 3 Months and rent a bunch of Computers. You set the times of all on the time and set a changing algorithm that smoothy fakes longer time frames. voilà...

Again with the bullshit excuses. There's no point in trying to deny that Bytecoin was practically premined 80% in secret, from 2012 to 2014, and that most of the coins are in the hands of just a few people. The blockchain is proof.

He's 100% right, thought, the timestamp on the blockchain is set by the miner. It's trivial to change your system time to 2 years back and then fast forward through as you mine with an adjusted difficulty algorithm. The CryptoNote whitepaper even acknowledges that timestamps are set by miners and are not absolute:

"But due to inaccurate and untrusted timestamps we cannot determine the exact time interval between blocks. A user can shift his timestamp into the future and the next time intervals might be improbably small or even negative. Presumably there will be few incidents of this kind, so we can just sort the timestamps and cut-o the outliers (i.e. 20%). The range of the rest values is the time which was spent for 80% of the corresponding blocks." - 6.2.1 Difficulty

How do you not know something this basic? Is this the first time you've played with cryptocurrency? Fucking hell, man, get a clue before bolding your bold-faced bullshit.
c18machine

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:13:25 PM

The blockchain is proof.

as explained its not...

As I said again earlier, There's no point in trying to make up bullshit excuses. The point is, the bytecoin's blockchain says the first coin was mined in 2012, and over 80% of it's coin supply have been mined by only a few addresses. You cannot deny that. It also wouldn't make any sense for them to "try and change" the blockchain date to 2 years earlier....Think before you type.

Monero investor detected
darkota

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:15:40 PM

The blockchain is proof.

as explained its not...

Monero investor detected

No, the only coin I hold is Bitcoin. I just fight for the best coins, with the most potential. Read my post history and you'll see..
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: