Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 11:21:45 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2015, 08:04:18 AM by MCStannard

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
colin012

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:29:07 AM

Maybe I just don't know enough about colored coins, but why attack a hardware wallet to a solar panel?

NXT Organization Marketing
colin012

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 01:01:35 AM

Maybe I just don't know enough about colored coins, but why attack a hardware wallet to a solar panel?

The project wouldn't necessarily need to use colored coins. There are other smart property protocols available.

And the reason is to allow a network of interconnected panels to trade Bitcoin and energy between each other. The purpose of this is to enable the network to dynamically propagate/ allocate energy resources to locations with highest demand. It would form a highly liquid market system.

The aim is to make solar energy more economical viable. If each panel could produce a high enough ROI, I'm fairly confident it would be easy to find investment from the Bitcoin community(and maybe beyond).

I am still not sure how trading Bitcoin between panels helps trade energy... I'm trying to wrap my brain around this. So the solar panels are kind of like electricity vending machines? You basically buy electricity using bitcoins then the bitcoins are stored somewhere on the panel in a hardware wallet until the panel's owner comes and picks it up?

colin012

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 01:53:18 AM

I am still not sure how trading Bitcoin between panels helps trade energy... I'm trying to wrap my brain around this. So the solar panels are kind of like electricity vending machines? You basically buy electricity using bitcoins then the bitcoins are stored somewhere on the panel in a hardware wallet until the panel's owner comes and picks it up?

Yes, each panel could buy and sell energy autonomously from other panels it is directly connected to.

Then, energy consuming devices could be connected to the network at any location, using Bitcoin to pay for the energy required.

Using smart property and hardware wallets it would be possible for the owner to collect any profit without physically visiting the device. Micro-controllers and software wallets could be used if they are more economically viable than purpose built hardware. Obviously, the panel's wallets need to be able to connect to the internet to enable this.

The benefits of this system may not be realised until there is a significantly large network of panels connected.

Well connecting a hardware wallet to the internet kind of makes it a software wallet because the hardware would need software installed on it in order to read or send any data to the internet. It sounds like what you are looking for is basically a small computer built into the panel that has a wallet installed on it or a hardware wallet that is connected to a computer which has a software wallet installed on it (the software wallet existing to forward bitcoins across the network, not to store them). So here is how I envision this working.

The owner has his own personal wallet. We will call it the owner's wallet.
The panel has it's own wallet. We will call it the panel's wallet.
The client has their own personal wallet. We will call it the client's wallet.
The client deposits BTC into the panel's wallet.
The panel's wallet forwards BTC to the owner's wallet as it is received and sets the the appropriate amount of electricity on a hardware meter.
The meter counts down as electricity is used and once it hits 0, the panel stops providing the client with electricity.

Ok, what prevents the client from rerouting the power from the panel to avoid the meter all together?
What are you planning on powering with these panels? Entire homes or just plug in devices?
Are you going to create a new grid in each country or just attach to the existing grids?
Is the point of implementing a smart property system so that these panels can be traded as commodities or so that shares of each panel's profits can be traded?
What is your business plan? Is this plan a solid plan or just an idea? (i.e. do you have an itemized budget and predicted profits?)
Finally, the answers to these questions doesn't really matter so long as the answer to the next question is good enough. (At least they don't matter to me.)
What are you paying?

colin012

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:07:07 AM

Show me a good business plan and I will consider working for brit shares. If I don't like your business plan, then I will want to be payed up front. Smiley

I am good with Java on the software side and I have experience building (and programing) circuits for experimental purposes. I also have experience with the BitcoinJ Java library so I know how to build wallets.

colin012

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:37:53 PM

No, and no. But I can build you a personal wallet (on the testnet of course) using Java to prove my skill at building wallets and I can mail you an electronic toy I built for a short film to prove my skill at programing and building hardware. (I am most familiar with Arduino hardware but I can learn other types if need be).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: