Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:23:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitstamp is the next MtGox...  (Read 1987 times)
m3 (OP)

Activity: 460
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 10:36:30 AM

Bitstamp is going to become the next MtGox, they are starting to crack down on KYC procedures and are going to start holding bitcoin funds aswell, not only FIAT. Now instead of MtGox telling you that your funds got "hacked" Bitstamp will be telling you that your funds got "frozen".

Read the full story http://www.btcfeed.net/news/bitstamp-is-the-next-mtgox-and-why-its-a-threat-to-bitcoin/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 10:43:04 AM

I would worry about btc-e more than bitstamp. Unlike bitstamp, btc-e is in Russia, ran by anonymous guys. They're lacking transparency.

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:20:49 PM

I would worry about btc-e more than bitstamp. Unlike bitstamp, btc-e is in Russia, ran by anonymous guys. They're lacking transparency.

I'm not sure what do u mean by transparent here ? But anonymity is not a problem for Bitcoin businesses. MK was very public and non-anonymous, though it did not stop the failure of Gox. Now, as Brock Pierce, the public character taking up the pieces, it'll fall again... of course after making millions for him.

In Bitcoin world, give more focus to trustless service over transparent ones and BTC-e is fine with that.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:32:41 PM

I wouldn't. BTC-E has been around for almost two years now. As an exchange, they are much older than the Bitstamp or Kraken. So far, there hasn't been a single robbery or hack within the exchange. I wouldn't worry much about the transparency of BTC-E, as long as the customers are able to maintain their anonymity and the coins are secure.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:44:50 PM

I wouldn't. BTC-E has been around for almost two years now. As an exchange, they are much older than the Bitstamp or Kraken. So far, there hasn't been a single robbery or hack within the exchange. I wouldn't worry much about the transparency of BTC-E, as long as the customers are able to maintain their anonymity and the coins are secure.

sumana

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:49:25 PM

how much btc they lost with that hacking

signed
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:56:34 PM

I suggest you don't listen to him, he's a scammer that sold his account to a big fat troll.
GogglesPisano

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:58:35 PM

+1! I'm far more worried about "regulated" exchanges than ones which uphold the anonymity philosophy behind Bitcoin.

Any centralized exchange should only be used for conversions, not as a place to hold your funds.

BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:59:50 PM

@sumana & @byt411

Be Careful

TradeFortress is using images and you are quoting it. You never know what this images will contain one year down the line. Avoid quoting him.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 01:01:08 PM

They never lost any BTC, and nor there were any successful hacks. BTC-E manually processes all the BTC withdrawals over BTC10 or so, and even the most renowned hackers have been unable to steal the coins from them.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 01:02:52 PM

They never lost any BTC, and nor there were any successful hacks. BTC-E manually processes all the BTC withdrawals over BTC10 or so, and even the most renowned hackers have been unable to steal the coins from them.

Does not it make things slow for them, given the kind of volume they need to handle ?

Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 01:10:23 PM

This is false; They were hacked in the early days (almost 2 years ago now?) and lost about 4600 BTC.

BTC-e covered this from their own profits, and no members lost any funds.
Pobre

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

HEy Hey HEY??

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 01:29:17 PM

Well Mark was not anonymous, but he lost it and there is nothing much you could do against him. If you are so much concerned about the transparency and if you are too afraid to deal with russians then the best website for you should be localbitcoins.com

And I think that there is no need of creating a panic about bitstamp becoming the next Gox because each of the exchange is privately owned and each of them can do something like gox, but I think Gox was an exception as it was highly mismanaged. I think that the exchanges should now start giving out private keys of the address in which its users will store their bitcoins, it would lead to the increase in trust within the customers.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
↑ UpDown.BT ↓  Bet on Gold/Oil/Currencies like a Boss ↑ [Thread] ↓
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 01:31:10 PM

This is false; They were hacked in the early days (almost 2 years ago now?) and lost about 4600 BTC.

That was relatively easy as 4600 BTC was not much 2 years ago. But, if the go through the same now... the result may be different.

IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 01:41:21 PM

For me BTC-e is a trustworthy exchange. While they lack support, their platform is more secure than most of their competitors'. They are in business for quite a long time without a serious incident that wasn't resolved.

I clearly prefer an anonymous exchange from eastern Europe where bitcoin remains fully fungible over some northern american one, which invades my privacy to follow braindead KYC/AML-laws without even notifying me that they are such bootlickers before sending them money.

KYC/AML-laws are here to take away your freedom by establishing a general suspicion against innocent citizens. You should boycott every entity and isolate every single person that endorses them!
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:19:08 PM

I clearly prefer an anonymous exchange from eastern Europe where bitcoin remains fully fungible over some northern american one, which invades my privacy to follow braindead KYC/AML-laws without even notifying me that they are such bootlickers before sending them money.

KYC/AML-laws are here to take away your freedom by establishing a general suspicion against innocent citizens. You should boycott every entity and isolate every single person that endorses them!

Absolutely.

Well-said.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:31:57 PM

Do you have any solid proof for this? Every alternate day, I am seeing a new thread posted against BTC-E, at the behest of the other exchanges. I am not going to believe anything unless proof is presented.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 02:44:56 PM

I agree they have an excellent track record. Just be aware that when Bitcoin starts approaching it's true value potential, all bets will be off.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:48:29 PM

Do you have any solid proof for this? Every alternate day, I am seeing a new thread posted against BTC-E, at the behest of the other exchanges. I am not going to believe anything unless proof is presented.

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:29:46 PM

Why the fuck are you using images to post?

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: