Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:12:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why bitcoin is going nowhere (too hard to buy bitcoin)  (Read 8889 times)
RaginglikeaBoss

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

Never before 11 P.M.

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2015, 06:16:02 PM

Here in germany are a lot of sites that sell bitcoins, so here it is also very easy to buy it.
I only go too google and type "buy bitcoins" and the first page i see is full of bitcoin shops and instructions how i buy bitcoins.

I think in australia are also a few shops where you can buy bitcoins very fast and uncomplicated.
And when not, then buy it on a non australian side.

Thankfully you live in Germany and as most Australians know, you can always trust 'the Hun.'

Nix the signature campaign and start talking out of a different orifice and maybe people will take you seriously.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Victor Beckham

Activity: 243
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 06:21:01 PM

Ok, so I want some bitcoin in Australia.

What are my choices? I can meet the local drug dealers on the corner and do a shady deal, or I can provide detailed personal information to some unknown company. I have a credit card account and I can buy $1000 products online anywhere in the world, but I can't buy bitcoin.

Here is the registration questionnaire (https://anxbtc.com/#setting_verification) for ANXBTC bitcoin exchange before I can purchase bitcoin:

-snip-

Switch over to LocalBitcoins or cheaper alternatives like 100bit.co.in and place a little higher than market buy order. Problem solved. No authentication required, no waiting for withdrawal.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 07:31:34 AM

What are my choices? I can meet the local drug dealers on the corner and do a shady deal, or I can provide detailed personal information to some unknown company. I have a credit card account and I can buy $1000 products online anywhere in the world, but I can't buy bitcoin.

Here is the registration questionnaire (https://anxbtc.com/#setting_verification) for ANXBTC bitcoin exchange before I can purchase bitcoin:

-snip-

Switch over to LocalBitcoins or cheaper alternatives like 100bit.co.in and place a little higher than market buy order. Problem solved. No authentication required, no waiting for withdrawal.

to bad no one is using it, i registered there, but then i saw the volume, and i was astonished, there is none essentially, how can we use that service if no one is there

Here in germany are a lot of sites that sell bitcoins, so here it is also very easy to buy it.
I only go too google and type "buy bitcoins" and the first page i see is full of bitcoin shops and instructions how i buy bitcoins.

I think in australia are also a few shops where you can buy bitcoins very fast and uncomplicated.
And when not, then buy it on a non australian side.

why bothering with local site, you can just buy in any online exchange, i don't think bitcoin need to have local exchange all over the world and in any nation

also i presume they require document for a certain amount
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 10:26:36 AM

why bothering with local site, you can just buy in any online exchange, i don't think bitcoin need to have local exchange all over the world and in any nation

It could take an age to get a deposit into somewhere like Bitstamp from Australia. As ever you're constricted by the old school banking system.

And it can make sense to stay local depending on your country. In Germany bitcoin.de is integrated with Fidor bank so sells and buys are near instant. You don't have to wait for the exchange's bank to talk to the other ones. It's also super fast in the Netherlands.

dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 05:38:08 PM

If you like the "no questions asked", there is belgacoin.be.   There's a serious problem in that they use the exchange rate at an arbitrary moment when your money arrives, but as bitcoin is much stabler now than 6 months ago, this problem is less.
Of course you have to do an international bank transfer from Australia, which can probably take several days.  But you'll get bitcoins.  At an unknown rate, whenever your money arrives.
So if you really want bitcoins, you don't want any questions asked, and you don't mind up or down 10% or so, you can go there.
micheljackson

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 02:28:35 PM

The easiest is way for me to buy is through local bitcoin meetups...cash in hand, simple transaction!
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 06:41:27 AM

It could take an age to get a deposit into somewhere like Bitstamp from Australia. As ever you're constricted by the old school banking system.

And it can make sense to stay local depending on your country. In Germany bitcoin.de is integrated with Fidor bank so sells and buys are near instant. You don't have to wait for the exchange's bank to talk to the other ones. It's also super fast in the Netherlands.

This.. Using a local online payment method you pay a small fee (site needs to profit), but you get your coins instant without waiting for your funds to clear. Really great services, once you use them, you can't go back..
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 07:11:03 AM

The easiest is way for me to buy is through local bitcoin meetups...cash in hand, simple transaction!

the easiest should be pay directly in bitcoin, and remove all kind of trouble about taxes and regulation, no one will bother tracking you back, if you are not buying very expensive stuff

we need wave directly payed in bitcoin for this, but someone smart enough can already do it via mining, or if he is early adopter he can use(not dumping, paying directly) his bitocin when they will skyrocket
sherbyspark

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:25:17 AM

I find cash transactions not the best way to buy bitcoins. It always incurs a large fees and isn't safe all the time. Its still a pain for me, if I wish to buy bitcoins and I don't feel much safe with buying large amounts off exchanges . So this definitely needs to be solved.

the easiest should be pay directly in bitcoin, and remove all kind of trouble about taxes and regulation, no one will bother tracking you back, if you are not buying very expensive stuff

Buy bitcoin with bitcoin How ?
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 01:50:24 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2015, 08:13:51 AM by Amph

I find cash transactions not the best way to buy bitcoins. It always incurs a large fees and isn't safe all the time. Its still a pain for me, if I wish to buy bitcoins and I don't feel much safe with buying large amounts off exchanges . So this definitely needs to be solved.

what i mean is via mining or via your salary, if you can find a job that pay you directly in bitcoin(like signature campaign) you are done, you can buy your stuff via all4btc and don't bother with fiat even once
sherbyspark

Activity: 910

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:48:05 PM

what i mean is via mining or via your salary, if you cna find a job that pay you directly in bitcoin(like signature campaign) you are done, you can buy your stuff via all4btc and don't bother with fiat even once

Yes, kind of misunderstood before. You can also use sites which convert your wages to bitcoin immediately as well, so thats another great way to avoid the hassle of buying.
dadj

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 07:34:21 AM

Please sign & share the petition if you haven't already!

https://www.change.org/p/treasury-of-the-australian-government-make-australia-a-bitcoin-friendly-country

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
YOLOdice.comFast 1% Edge DiceAwesome ChartsFaucetPlay / InvestJOIN NOW!
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
hopebit

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 08:59:42 AM

Hello, /anxprobyt]ANX here. May I ask how is our questionnaire ridiculous? They are simple questions. BitStamp will suddenly freeze your funds and require you to complete a longer questionnaire, including how you got your bitcoins and why you are selling them for fiat, or vice-versa.
We'd love to hear your feedback.

Hello, ANX, just for your information, I am another user that was meaning to buy bitcoins via your service and got scared away when I saw that questionnaire.
Ther's no way I'll put my life in danger by publishing all that information just to buy a few BTC. It's not worth that.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 08:45:44 AM

Yes we all know that buying Bitcoins at the moment is still very complicated. But as the industry progresses, I am sure this will change as well. I see a huge progress in buying this year compared to last year. There are more exchanges, more services etc. Let's just give it some time and keep working on it.
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 02:45:04 PM

Applicant Information

First Name
Last Name
Address
City
State/ Province/ Region
Country of Residence
ZIP/ Postal Code
Mobile Phone Number
Date of Birth

Occupation, Income and Source of Funds

Occupation
If 'Employed' or 'Self-Employed is chosen, please specify:
If 'Other' is chosen, please specify:
Source of Funds (multiple options can be selected)
 Salary
 Saving
 Inheritance
 Other
Annual Income

Nature of Activity

Proof of Identity and Address

Please upload the following documents:

(1) Proof of identity

* Must be valid (i.e. not expired) government issued ID. ANX accept
    the following:
      o International Passport (both sides)
      o National ID Card (both sides)
      o Permanent Driver's License (both sides)

(2) Proof of address

* Must not be older than 3 months
  * We accept only the following:
      o Bank statement
      o Utility bill for utilities consumed at your home address
      o Tax return, property tax bill
      o Election/Voters ID

Additionally:
*Documents must be in the following formats: jpg, png, gif, pdf.
*Documents must be scanned in colour with minimum of 300dpi resolution
*Documents must be entirely visible
*Proof of residency document must be a scanned image of a paper
document, not an electronic substitute. Electronic versions of proof of
address will not be accepted.
Drop files here to upload

Upload Files

Having trouble uploading the documents? Please contact verify@anxbtc.com
<mailto:verify@anxbtc.com>

Declaration

I do hereby solemnly declare that the information provided is
up-to-date and correct. The documents provided as proof of identity and
proof of address has been self-attested. I authorize ANX to verify the
information provided to confirm its accuracy.
Submit <javascript:void(0)> Cancel <javascript:void(0)>

Admittedly, that questionnaire is ridiculous, but there are quite a few other options for you as people have pointed out in this thread. Personally , I wouldn't give that company my business after seeing what information they require. I know that they are just attempting to cover their ass legally speaking, but I still find a company asking that much of a single person offensive.

Hello, ANX here. May I ask how is our questionnaire ridiculous? They are simple questions. BitStamp will suddenly freeze your funds and require you to complete a longer questionnaire, including how you got your bitcoins and why you are selling them for fiat, or vice-versa.
We'd love to hear your feedback.

I'm appalled that you think this is not ridiculous. I'd use stronger words myself.
It always surprises me that a company is willing to listen to the lawyers so completely, knowing that they will lose such a large fraction of potential customers.

We are, after all, just talking about a simple currency conversion here.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 02:54:05 PM

I would take a thick black marker and write "Get Bent" on the application. Then I would mail it back, because that questionnaire is nuts. The law does require exchanges to do AML and KYC compliance, however this goes far beyond what is required. It is also important to understand that the protocol requires no identity at all and this is in no way a bitcoin problem. So if you don't like the legal requirements than YOU must change them. You would be better serving your efforts to send a letter to your elected representatives than writing here. Only YOU can change these laws by voicing your opinion and voting to show you mean it.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 06:15:30 PM

I would take a thick black marker and write "Get Bent" on the application. Then I would mail it back, because that questionnaire is nuts. The law does require exchanges to do AML and KYC compliance, however this goes far beyond what is required. It is also important to understand that the protocol requires no identity at all and this is in no way a bitcoin problem. So if you don't like the legal requirements than YOU must change them. You would be better serving your efforts to send a letter to your elected representatives than writing here. Only YOU can change these laws by voicing your opinion and voting to show you mean it.

I would argue that the days of being able to affect anything of this magnitude by sending letters (even millions of them) are long gone. Even a Snowden, followed by a public outcry against surveillance wasn't enough to put a dent in that.

The only way to effect change is to bypass the problem. Companies affected need to be ignored (as they seem to be already). Users need to choose to use companies that don't bend over so easily, even at some risk. Naturally that isn't gonna happen overnight, but as long as the options remain, I think it will slowly happen.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 08:23:35 PM

I would argue that the days of being able to affect anything of this magnitude by sending letters (even millions of them) are long gone. Even a Snowden, followed by a public outcry against surveillance wasn't enough to put a dent in that.

The only way to effect change is to bypass the problem. Companies affected need to be ignored (as they seem to be already). Users need to choose to use companies that don't bend over so easily, even at some risk. Naturally that isn't gonna happen overnight, but as long as the options remain, I think it will slowly happen.
I agree with you that market force is a great strategy. Seeing money left on the table inspires business to join your efforts. I would never fill out the form in this thread for example. But I don't think it hurts to directly contact law makers. They do listen, even though many things that 80% of the population supports do not happen.

I also think that if you vote, participate, write letters; and still nothing happens... Then you have earned the right to bitch up a storm. If I start with "poor me, the gov is evil" then I seem like a complainer.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
alva5763

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 03:17:01 PM

I find most exchanges are asking for sensitive information. I agree they need to act within the law and make sure the applicant is genuine but I have reservations about uploading a scan of my passport for example.
bgibso01
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 02:42:23 PM

bitcoin atms are popping up all over the place. this is the next step for bitcoin adoption.

Yes, and I own one.  The problem in the US is still purchasing the coins to fill the machine.  Coinbase won't, Kracken can't for my state, Not sure yet about Campbx.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: