Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:12:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can my Bitcoin be stolen  (Read 4394 times)
RobSlay (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:59:06 PM

I just installed a bitcoin client on my PC , a was thinking before i download my wallet from blockchain.info, If someone has access to my PC or if i am infected by a virus will this compromise allow my bitcoin to be stolen?
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:00:28 PM

CaptainBeck

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:02:13 PM

I just installed a bitcoin client on my PC , a was thinking before i download my wallet from blockchain.info, If someone has access to my PC or if i am infected by a virus will this compromise allow my bitcoin to be stolen?

Yes, the file containing you wallet can be stolen that way, but put a very hard to break password on it and you'll be fine for a while. The time and effort wouldnt be worth the thief's time for stealing whats in your account.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:05:27 PM

Yes, the file containing you wallet can be stolen that way, but put a very hard to break password on it and you'll be fine for a while. The time and effort wouldnt be worth the thief's time for stealing whats in your account.

CaptainBeck

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:07:12 PM

Cold storage is a good way to be safe, a good anti-virus is always need for any stuff you do on a PC.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:14:39 PM

^^

Even if u are doing Cold Storage, be wary about your private key. Try to have a real random source for your private key generation. If that's cracked, then no cold storage or hardware wallet can save u from being robbed.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:28:02 PM

Any computer connected to the internet can be attacked. If you have enough to worry about get a laptop and never connect it to the internet.

bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:53:44 PM

bitcoins can be stolen if someone has infected your pc, or someone breaks into your house and takes your pc with him/her.

Daniel007

Activity: 122

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:57:25 PM

If your computer is hacked than you will lost your bitcoin. So there is always a chance of loosing your bitcoin.

byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 04:38:01 PM

If your computer is hacked than you will lost your bitcoin. So there is always a chance of loosing your bitcoin.

No, if I have a cold offline wallet then no.
oli123123
Legendary

Activity: 1445
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 04:41:43 PM

Of course, they can be stolen, you have to be careful.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 05:16:27 PM

make a backup of your private key (on your offline computer) and HIDE IT using this: http://embeddedsw.net/OpenPuff_Steganography_Home.html

then you can transfer the carrier to your online computer with usb stick

CaptainBeck

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 05:20:36 PM

For a techy style website that is a horrible looking website you linked there.

All this also depends on what you want to do with your wallet, constant hot wallet or just a store?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 05:26:10 PM

who cares how it looks...the software is straight up kick-ass.  try it.
it is very high security. (and its free)

Pobre

Activity: 182

HEy Hey HEY??

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:00:49 PM

Well there is no chance of getting your bitcoin stolen from a pc wallet until you distribute your private key in the public, or get scammed. also dont store your btc in third party wallets for long.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
↑ UpDown.BT ↓  Bet on Gold/Oil/Currencies like a Boss ↑ [Thread] ↓
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 08:06:11 PM

Yes, there are lots of viruses/malware now that target bitcoin wallets. Of course hackers want it now that the value has risen so much!! So take care to learn about cold storage, and about keeping your online computer secure, if you hold any BTC on it.

monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 09:07:06 PM

I'm not sure but I recall that someone once told me it's not impossible to hack the wallet with another computer, like mining for the public wallet's private key or something.. but it would take millions or years... something like that Roll Eyes
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:19:23 PM

I'm not sure but I recall that someone once told me it's not impossible to hack the wallet with another computer, like mining for the public wallet's private key or something.. but it would take millions or years... something like that Roll Eyes

You're referring to brute-forcing someone's private key.  Yes it would take millions of years.
That's something entirely different.

You can still have your keys simply STOLEN by virus/malware.

Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 10:05:05 PM

If you have your private keys stored in one wallet, then if you mislay that wallet or it gets corrupted, then you will lose your keys. Backing up your wallet makes a copy of your private keys, but it’s important to back up your whole wallet. Some addresses are used to store change from transactions, and may not be shown to you by default. Back the whole thing up in several different places, and keep them safe from prying eyes.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 03:49:30 AM

When you get your wallet up, be sure to password it. While any virus that can detect key strokes could still read this (when you type it in), you are much safer having it passworded/encrypted than not. Then even if they steal the wallet, they'd need the password to do anything with it.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: