Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:45:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Free State Project Leader Wins Victory > Cops Trying to Punish Filming Them  (Read 754 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 06:50:52 PM

Story broke last night so here it is and it's pretty big as you'll read below:

Good news from Carla Gericke [South African immigrant and lawyer], current president of the Free State Project (which encourages libertarians to move to New Hampshire and help turn it into a more libertarian land).

Gericke had been arrested in 2010 by Sgt. Joseph Kelley of the Weare, New Hampshire, police department, for, among other charges, allegedly violating the state's wiretapping statues by attempting to film his actions after he'd pulled over a friend Gericke was driving behind. (The camera she aimed at him wasn't actually working.)

Gericke never went to trial, as the city declined to go ahead with the prosecution. But Gericke went ahead and sued the officer, the department, and city, claiming that the wiretapping charge, as today's decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit said, "constituted retaliatory prosecution in violation of her First Amendment rights."

More @ http://reason.com/blog/2014/05/23/free-state-project-leader-wins-victory-a

Also on Free Keene
http://freekeene.com/2014/05/23/fsp-president-wins-federal-case-against-weare-police/
After multiple court decisions favoring Keene liberty activists, now with the US Court of Appeals (1st Circuit) ruling in favor of Free State Project president Carla Gericke in her case against multiple Weare police officers, the Weare PD, and the Town of Weare.

The case dates back to 2010 where Carla was arrested for recording a traffic stop in Weare (home of notoriously corrupt police who have arrested other activists for the same). Police dropped the charges against Carla before trial, which included a “wiretapping” charge. Carla, with the help of liberty attorney Seth Hipple, sued in federal district court. Her suit alleged the Weare police violated her rights, particularly those ostensibly protected by the 1st amendment to the US constitution. Weare PD motioned the district court for “summary judgement” based on claimed “qualified immunity” protecting the officers from liability. The district court denied them qualified immunity, so Weare’s attorneys filed an “interlocutory appeal” to challenge the district court’s decision.

Oh, and guess who is Weare’s attorney in this case? None other than Charles P. Bauer, the very same Charles Bauer who cashed in (and continues to cash in) on the City of Keene’s failed lawsuits against Robin Hood of Keene.

The 1st Circuit US Court of Appeals is the same court from which the Glik decision emanated. Glik is cited multiple times in the 21-page Gericke decision as evidence that the right to record government workers, especially police, is protected by the 1st amendment. The court’s decision makes it clear that the officers do not have “qualified immunity” because they, were they acting as reasonable officers, should have recognized Carla’s right to record the scene.

The appeals court ruled in Carla’s favor and now the case goes back to federal district court to proceed ahead in civil court, with the officers not protected from liability by “qualified immunity”, a protective shield typically given to bureaucrats supposedly to protect them from personal liability from mistaken decisions. Unless the case is settled by the town of Weare or PD, it will proceed. Stay tuned for the latest.

Just as a side note, back at PorcFest a couple of years back Carla busted me for trying to lift some burger patties from the main pavilion's freezer to feed me and our drunken crew at our camp site. I had a stack of cash in my pocket but it was after hours (party was over) so no one was around to collect but I paid when she pounced on me. She was cool with me ever since. I still remember back when these Weare jerkoffs arrested her and they had this coming. I hope she doesn't accept a settlement out of court but actually rides it through and sticks it to this cop in hopes of making it known once and for all that the badgeheads have to respect peeps' rights.

H/t to her attorney and my former mate (until I move back to NH),
Law Offices of Martin & Hipple, P.L.L.C.
22 Bridge Street, Second Floor, Suite 3,
Concord, NH 03301
Phone: 603-856-0202 | Toll Free: 877-645-2909 | Fax: 603-546-7456
http://nhlegalservices.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 08:11:02 PM

1) Cops will look for any excuse to stop people from recording them. If you want to save yourself the hassle of an arrest, find some way to record it in a way that the cop won't notice.

2) Post your video on Youtube. Get it to go viral.

3) Be ready to proactively defend yourself from any charges.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 11:51:02 PM

That was fast Grin
The Weare Police Department settled with the Free State Project President for $57,500.

After being trounced in the 1st federal circuit court, the Town of Weare and the notoriously corrupt Weare Police Department have settled with Free State Project President Carla Gericke to the tune of $57,500!

After Weare police had arrested her for “wiretapping” for recording a traffic stop then dropped the charges, Carla sued. She had recently won an “interlocutory” appeal case where the 1st circuit decided (again) that there is an established right to record government police doing their job in public and that police cannot claim “qualified immunity” from personal liability when arresting videographers.

The civil case against Weare, the WPD, and the individual officers was remanded back to the federal district court to move ahead to trial, but now that trial has been canceled with the news that Weare has given up and settled the case for over $57,000! Plus, there are no restrictions on her discussing the case, as are typically found with settlements. Congratulations to Carla and her attorneys for this epic win!
cont...http://freekeene.com/2014/06/04/weare-police-settle-with-fsp-president-for-57500/
https://www.facebook.com/Martin.Hipple The law firm that handled the case. One of them is an FSP participant.
JohnnyLightning

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 04:19:43 PM

Can anyone tell me how to get a smartphone to automatically upload videos to a cloud as they are being recorded, for protection from rogue cops? (Android)  It's only sorta off-topic...

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 04:30:34 PM

The Weare Police Department settled with the Free State Project President for $57,500.

Wow... this is huge! I don't care about the amount, as this is a major moral victory. BTW... I am a bit interested about what would have happened if they had pressed on with the trial.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: