Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:01:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on Bitcoin scholarship for Education and IMMERSION 2014  (Read 778 times)
Barbara Mikolajczak (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 06:52:55 PM

Hello everyone. I am new here, and wanted to introduce myself and also ask for your advice on an upcoming Bitcoin scholarship that the Immersive Education Initiative (http://ImmersiveEducation.org) is announcing next week.

My name is Barbara Mikolajczak. I'm a faculty member at Boston College, where I teach using immersive technologies and work with the Immersive Education Initiative (a non-profit education consortium). I teach my BC college classes using virtual worlds and simulators, and I also teach elementary school students in Boston with these and other immersive education technologies (I started the Immersive Education's K-12 "Scratch" programming and "Creative Computing" clubs in Boston).

A major part of my work with the Initiative is to work with other non-profit and philanthropic organizations to give teachers and students (primarily public school K-12 teachers & students, where budgets are practically *ZERO* for this type of work) a chance to attend educational conferences, receive training and certification on immersive technologies for education, and enroll in camps, clubs and classes that they could not afford otherwise. In the past three years we have donated over $100,000 towards this effort, and next week the Initiative is announcing a Bitcoin scholarship to reach many more in-need teachers and students.

The very first objective of the Initiative's Bitcoin scholarship is to raise funds for teachers and students (and some budding but financially challenged young entrepreneurs) to attend the entire IMMERSION 2014 conference that is in Los Angeles next month.

If you visit http://summit.ImmersiveEducation.org you can see the conference program (I'm presenting during the Education module, actually). Over the past two months I have been working with five different non-profit and education organizations to identify teachers and students who want to attend (and would benefit from being there) but cannot afford the registration fee. The organizations I have been working with are the California Community Foundation, Catholic Education Foundation, Philanthropy Roundtable, United Teachers of Los Angeles, and the LA Fund.

With their help we have set aside 100 "All Access" teacher and student tickets to IMMERSION 2014, the total cost of which comes to $30,000 (the cost per ticket is $300 at the normal registration rate).

Next week the Bitcoin scholarship will be announced, enabling anyone with the ability to contribute any amount of BTC to help offset the cost to support these teachers and students.

I am writing to let you know about this in advance, but also to ask for your advice. The big question that the Initiative has been wrestling with is if this should this be a "Bitcoin only" scholarship or should other cryptocurrencies been included too?

On the one hand it would make a LOT of sense to make it as easy as possible for anyone with any form of crypto to help this cause, but on the other hand there isn't much in the way of infrastructure to accept Litecoin, DogeCoin, Peercoin, and others. For example, thanks to systems such Coinbase and BitPay, we can easily accept Bitcoin and fully account for all donations (for reporting and tax purposes). And, at least to some extent, these commercial-grade service take away much of the concern over being hacked or otherwise having the donated coins "lost" (corrupted wallet, crashing servers, or for any other reason).

I wonder if you could let me know what your feelings are about establishing an educational scholarship using cryptos other than Bitcoin? Is it worth the effort, or are the risks still too high to support other cryptos?

As a non-profit education consortium we need to be as safe and secure as possible, but on the other hand we want to help as many at-need teachers and students as we can.

With thanks for your thoughts and help (and with apologies for such a long first post!),

Barbara
--
Barbara J. Mikolajczak
Boston College, Woods College of Advancing Studies
Immersive Education Initiative
http://ImmersiveEducation.org

Barbara Mikolajczak (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 07:08:43 PM

Ok, I probably should have led with my question rather than such long introduction/overview! In short, my question is:

Should this be a "Bitcoin only" scholarship or should other cryptocurrencies been included too?  Is it worth the effort, or are the risks still too high to support other cryptos?

As a non-profit education consortium we need to be as safe and secure as possible, but on the other hand we want to help as many at-need teachers and students as we can. The pros/cons at the moment are:

On the one hand it would make a LOT of sense to make it as easy as possible for anyone with any form of crypto to help this cause, but on the other hand there isn't much in the way of infrastructure to accept Litecoin, DogeCoin, Peercoin, and others. For example, thanks to systems such Coinbase and BitPay, we can easily accept Bitcoin and fully account for all donations (for reporting and tax purposes). And, at least to some extent, these commercial-grade service take away much of the concern over being hacked or otherwise having the donated coins "lost" (corrupted wallet, crashing servers, or for any other reason).

Below is my original post, which my question was buried at the end of, so hopefully "leading" with the question would help this time around? Your collective advice would be greatly appreciated! 

With thanks for you thoughts,
Barbara

Hello everyone. I am new here, and wanted to introduce myself and also ask for your advice on an upcoming Bitcoin scholarship that the Immersive Education Initiative (http://ImmersiveEducation.org) is announcing next week.

My name is Barbara Mikolajczak. I'm a faculty member at Boston College, where I teach using immersive technologies and work with the Immersive Education Initiative (a non-profit education consortium). I teach my BC college classes using virtual worlds and simulators, and I also teach elementary school students in Boston with these and other immersive education technologies (I started the Immersive Education's K-12 "Scratch" programming and "Creative Computing" clubs in Boston).

A major part of my work with the Initiative is to work with other non-profit and philanthropic organizations to give teachers and students (primarily public school K-12 teachers & students, where budgets are practically *ZERO* for this type of work) a chance to attend educational conferences, receive training and certification on immersive technologies for education, and enroll in camps, clubs and classes that they could not afford otherwise. In the past three years we have donated over $100,000 towards this effort, and next week the Initiative is announcing a Bitcoin scholarship to reach many more in-need teachers and students.

The very first objective of the Initiative's Bitcoin scholarship is to raise funds for teachers and students (and some budding but financially challenged young entrepreneurs) to attend the entire IMMERSION 2014 conference that is in Los Angeles next month.

If you visit http://summit.ImmersiveEducation.org you can see the conference program (I'm presenting during the Education module, actually). Over the past two months I have been working with five different non-profit and education organizations to identify teachers and students who want to attend (and would benefit from being there) but cannot afford the registration fee. The organizations I have been working with are the California Community Foundation, Catholic Education Foundation, Philanthropy Roundtable, United Teachers of Los Angeles, and the LA Fund.

With their help we have set aside 100 "All Access" teacher and student tickets to IMMERSION 2014, the total cost of which comes to $30,000 (the cost per ticket is $300 at the normal registration rate).

Next week the Bitcoin scholarship will be announced, enabling anyone with the ability to contribute any amount of BTC to help offset the cost to support these teachers and students.

I am writing to let you know about this in advance, but also to ask for your advice. The big question that the Initiative has been wrestling with is if this should this be a "Bitcoin only" scholarship or should other cryptocurrencies been included too?

I wonder if you could let me know what your feelings are about establishing an educational scholarship using cryptos other than Bitcoin? Is it worth the effort, or are the risks still too high to support other cryptos?

As a non-profit education consortium we need to be as safe and secure as possible, but on the other hand we want to help as many at-need teachers and students as we can.

With thanks for your thoughts and help (and with apologies for such a long first post!),

Barbara
--
Barbara J. Mikolajczak
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 07:24:59 PM

Hi Barbara,
What a wonderful project. As an educator myself, and one who has learned a lot about money from bitcoin, I think your on to something!
In answer to your first question about alt-coins. I would focus on BTC for almost all lessons. The only exception for me would be a lesson about stock markets. It might be fun to have students research and buy some position in an alt of their choosing. Students could then track and compare their gains and losses. But other than that I believe alt cryptos would be a distraction.  My advice is that until you fully understand BTC, don't touch alts.

You may also be interested in the work that the bitcoin foundation is doing in their education committee. They have outlines for some specific lessons for various grades.
https://bitcoinfoundation.org/forum/index.php?/forum/18-education/

Please do update as this plays out. I would love to see what you achieve.

-Cheers  Smiley

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Bibop

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 07:57:23 PM

What a great use for btc!

liked your idea very much.
about your main question I think that at the beginning NO other currency should be taken.
any other currency will make it hard to manage and deciding which one can be accepted gonna concern you at the future.
I know that non of the fiat currencies are stable but if one of them will succeed and advance in his position in the world its gonna be BTC, and somehow the donations will be exchanged into practical money at the end of the way.

Wish you luck!
Barbara Mikolajczak (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 06:44:08 PM

Thank you both very much. I personally think alts are too risky for the Immersive Eduction scholarship as well, and have shared your thoughts with our director and members of the consortium who are finalizing the scholarship details (and preparing the official announcement news release). From the 5 foundations I have been working with we now have over 100 at-need public school teachers and students (and a few young entrepreneurs) who will benefit immediately from the scholarship, as they can't afford to attend the IMMERSION 2014 conference otherwise (and they can't afford the training and certification courses either).

I hope to be able to report that the scholarship is "live" (open) by this time tomorrow! If it is you'll see a button called "Bitcoin Scholarship" appear on the IMMERSION 2014 menu bar at http://summit.ImmersiveEducation.org and the official news release will also appear under the Immersive Education Initiative's "News" area at http://ImmersiveEducation.org

With thanks again for taking the time to read my (admittedly lengthy) first post, and replying in kind.

Barbara
Barbara J. Mikolajczak
tigeRshoes

Activity: 49

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:43:23 PM

I would definitely be willing to contribute to that.
Barbara Mikolajczak (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 04:11:06 PM

I would definitely be willing to contribute to that.

Wonderful! The Immersive Education Initiative is now testing the BTC donation system in preparation for announcing the scholarship. If you'd like to help test it please let me know! Feel free to sent a private message me here, or you can email me at barbara.miko@ImmersiveEducation.org

I'll also create a new post to let others know they can help test it too (I wish I could just post the link to it here, but it's not open to the public yet so I have to send it to you directly).

With thanks,
Barbara
Barbara J. Mikolajczak
Email : barbara.miko@ImmersiveEducation.org
Web   : http://ImmersiveEducation.org
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: