Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:11:06 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: should i add a tx fee to a coldwallet?  (Read 1397 times)
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2216
Merit: 3238

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:46:55 PM

Cold wallets don't really need a fee. Old coins get priority when they move.

You don't know when you need the funds. You might suddenly need them tomorrow.

The OP might get the misunderstanding that he can't transfer the 1BTC in case he does not add an additional amount as an transaction fee..

If you had the ability to read the original post, you would understand that he knows that transaction fees are optional, and he is just asking how much he should add.

Please read his post again, I dare to disagree.

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:50:17 PM

The OP might get the misunderstanding that he can't transfer the 1BTC in case he does not add an additional amount as an transaction fee..

If you had the ability to read the original post, you would understand that he knows that transaction fees are optional, and he is just asking how much he should add.

I don't agree with you. He is asking if he should, because he wants to get the entire bitcoin back, and he wants to know if he can send without fee in the future.
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2216
Merit: 3238

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:54:19 PM

I don't agree with you. He is asking if he should, because he wants to get the entire bitcoin back, and he wants to know if he can send without fee in the future.

That really is your own interpretation. So please try to not judge too quickly about the ability to read of others.

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:56:35 PM

That really is your own interpretation. So please try to not judge too quickly about the ability to read of others.

If he thinks that he can't transfer the BTC without adding a fee, he would ask:
"Do I have to add extra to cover a future transaction fee?"
But he is asking:
Should I add extra to cover a future tx fee?

Should and Must are 2 very different things.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 10:00:28 PM

The OP was also asking about storing 1BTC. Fees are not needed to move it again after waiting 1 day.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:01:34 AM

There's no way to know what the fee criteria will be in one or two years.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
hystericG

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 03:47:20 AM

There's no way to know what the fee criteria will be in one or two years.

Read an article that Bitcoin fees will probably be reduced with such current high prices.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 05:05:25 AM

It isn't a lot to include. I might do .001 just to be certain. That would cover it even if fees somehow skyrocket.

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:19:32 AM

I'm printing out my first cold wallet with 1BTC on it to keep long term.I plan to HODL for at least a few years.
 Should I add extra to cover a future tx fee? If yes, then what tx fee would you recommend I add?
 Thanks. 

No. Old coins don't need to pay any fee.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3269

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:02:10 AM

There is no reason why the fee has to come out of the cold storage address. If he imports the cold storage private key, then there is no fee. If he later wants to send the imported 1 BTC, the fee could come from another address in the wallet.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: