Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:59:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6990 Mining newbie (Some questions)  (Read 2268 times)
arvinrajsinghgill (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 03:15:41 AM

Hey guys, So i pulled a trigger on a USED $483 HD6990 being sold locally. it should arrive tomorrow, hopefully.

I would still be using my rig for college work and to watch movies, so i guess running under linux coin / headless linux is out of the option? I am home only twice a week, other than that i'll be at my other home , nearby to my college. So perhaps when i am not home, I could run it under headless linux and when i am home, run it under Windows. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate X64 at the moment.

What miner would be the best for hd6990? I tried reading previous threads but most were a few months old. Maybe its because the search is not returning what i am looking for? I learned that the memory should be downclocked to 300MHz, while I could overclock the card as much as I want right until its no longer stable and / or its temps are too high.

Is there a specific mining pool to join? Making a quick buck / profit isn't on my mind, but i am hoping that i would generate enough hashes to pay for the card. At least so I could get my "investment" back and then perhaps use the same amount of money to invest again. What about the flags / parameters that I have been hearing alot about? Is there a guide on how it should be set?

Also, what is the recommended driver version for the HD6990 that should be used in both windows and linux?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 05:31:53 AM

Hey guys, So i pulled a trigger on a USED $483 HD6990 being sold locally. it should arrive tomorrow, hopefully.

I would still be using my rig for college work and to watch movies, so i guess running under linux coin / headless linux is out of the option? I am home only twice a week, other than that i'll be at my other home , nearby to my college. So perhaps when i am not home, I could run it under headless linux and when i am home, run it under Windows. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate X64 at the moment.

What miner would be the best for hd6990? I tried reading previous threads but most were a few months old. Maybe its because the search is not returning what i am looking for? I learned that the memory should be downclocked to 300MHz, while I could overclock the card as much as I want right until its no longer stable and / or its temps are too high.

Is there a specific mining pool to join? Making a quick buck / profit isn't on my mind, but i am hoping that i would generate enough hashes to pay for the card. At least so I could get my "investment" back and then perhaps use the same amount of money to invest again. What about the flags / parameters that I have been hearing alot about? Is there a guide on how it should be set?

Also, what is the recommended driver version for the HD6990 that should be used in both windows and linux?

CGminer (do it)
Catalyst 11.6(correct me if im wrong buds)
SDK 2.4(i think)

Put core to 900, (YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST FLIP THE PHYSICAL OVERCLOCK SWITCH THAT IS LOCATED ON THE CARD ITSELF, Near the Xfire bridge area)
Mem to 450 (mine likes to run Unstable if i have it anylower, But it does run, But it's not stable)

For flags, If your using CGminer the only ones your going to need, Are:
I 5,5
^ Literally thats it

I own a 6990, I am running CGminer, I get 415Mh/s/core

Now that the Easy stuff is out of the way, How do you plan on Cooling it? Majority of 6990's run Hot and Loud as fuck, I have a 20x20" Box Fan, Fucking thing is desgined to circulate air in a Room, And im using it for something 100x smaller.

With this fan, My temps are 82°C with the 6990's fan at 80%.
Without that fan, OVERHEAT.
Without that fan, And with slower clocks... (880core, 400mem) 89°-95°C/Crash with the fan at 100%.

Gets some good airflow!

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2012, 01:18:12 PM

If you want to make it real simple, try the custom miner at my pool. It runs very well on 6990.

Often being away from the mining machine you'll probably want to set up something like VNC so you can access it remotely. I don't know if I would bother with switching OS back and forth. Just let it run and pause the mining when you need the GPU for something else (or the fan is making you deaf).

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: