Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:14:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Darkwallet - Taunting the gov regulators.. hmmm is it really a good idea  (Read 2423 times)
gtraah (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:10:07 PM
Last edit: May 24, 2014, 09:45:56 PM by gtraah

What do you guys think about this article? http://www.wired.com/2014/04/dark-wallet/...... I know its old news, but what I am getting at is this particular media headline, as well as these comments:

“This is a way of using bitcoin that mocks every attempt to sprinkle it with regulation,” says Cody Wilson, one of Dark Wallet’s two 26-year-old organizers. “It’s a way to say to the government ‘You've set yourself up to regulate bitcoin. Regulate this.’”

Now here is what I am getting at: Isn't this trying to provoke a sleeping giant? Basically saying "ha ha you can't beat us" .... What if the government just says, you know what FK it lets just publicly ban bitcoin. I think that alone will ruin 70-90% most likely more of what the coins worth and it will then go back to being only used in silk road , drugs  & underground stuff, companies will shutdown and investments will disappear.

I Agree with the choice for anonymity don't get me wrong, there should be the choice. But I am guessing the government sees it this way --- in this world of corruption MANY crims will definitely take advantage of this feature lets not try hide the fact, humans are so corrupt that we will cheat the system anyway we can, and if there are tools publicly available and "legal" this will make it much easier.

I am actually surprised and really happy at the same time the government is allowing BTC to grow and show its real potential ignoring the small minority who wish to use it in a corrupt manner, maybe they see potential or maybe they know it will be hard to stop, but I know one thing - it wont be hard for them to crash the market with a few announcements "IF" they want to do this.

I just think we should try not give them any reason too and promote all the good ways to use BTC its too early to start taunting the government regulators. If we atleast establish a MASSIVE following from the outside community and drill ourselves deep into the economy and online "legal" world then I guess we are in more off a position to get away with saying things later. I think its still too early to start taunting regulators even though I agree with CODY , FK them for regulating BTC in a way which makes it hard to use it as a currency. I am hoping they change that ruling soon.

My 2c
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:23:54 PM

What do you guys think about this article? http://www.wired.com/2014/04/dark-wallet/...... I know its old news, but what I am getting at is this particular media headline, as well as these comments:

“This is a way of using bitcoin that mocks every attempt to sprinkle it with regulation,” says Cody Wilson, one of Dark Wallet’s two 26-year-old organizers. “It’s a way to say to the government ‘You've set yourself up to regulate bitcoin. Regulate this.’”

Now here is what I am getting at: Isn't this trying to provoke a sleeping giant? Basically saying "ha ha you can't beat us" .... What if the government just says, you know what FK it lets just publicly ban bitcoin. I think that alone will ruin 70-90% most likely more of what the coins worth and it will then go back to being only used in silk road , drugs  & underground stuff, companies will shutdown and investments will disappear.

I Agree with the choice for anonymity don't get me wrong, there should be the choice. But I am guessing the government sees it this way --- in this world of corruption MANY crims will definitely take advantage of this feature lets not try hide the fact, humans are so corrupt that we will cheat the system anyway we can, and if there are tools publicly available and "legal" this will make it much easier.

I am actually surprised and really happy at the same the government is allowing BTC to grow and show its real potential ignoring the small minority who wish to use it in a corrupt manner, maybe they see potential or maybe they know it will be hard to stop, but I know one thing - it wont be hard for them to crash the market with a few announcements "IF" they want to do this.

I just think we should try not give them any reason too and promote all the good ways to use BTC its too early to start taunting the government regulators. If we atleast establish a MASSIVE following from the outside community and drill ourselves deep into the economy and online "legal" world then I guess we are in more off a position to get away with saying things later. I think its still too early to start taunting regulators even though I agree with CODY , FK them for regulating BTC in a way which makes it hard to use it as a currency. I am hoping they change that ruling soon.

My 2c

I accept that Amir Taaki is a good coder and probably contributed a lot in the beginning of Bitcoin. But his ideologies does not fit with a regulated society where common man wants to live peacefully. His jumping into the station w/o ticket is one example of that. He is a supporter of neo-liberalism in a destructive way. Look at this video itself in the article. He is standing with a gun to promote Dark Wallet !!! WTF man ? Can u imagine Gavin/Wladimir standing with a gun to promote Bitcoin ? U think u can convince your dad or even your office boss about +ves of Bitcoin with a gun ? The money he gained from Bitcoin has actually screwed his brain and at the moment he is just a spoiled brat.

Dark Wallet wont move forward with this type of a person in the leadership. Even if he can get popularity... it would just be a matter of time that Govt will silence him. Winning people does NOT need a gun. He is NOT Satoshi.

unexecuted

Activity: 175
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:28:37 PM

I'm all for supporting Unsystem, as I have donated in the past and will continue to do so, but what exactly makes you think they are low on funds? Cody was asked in a recent interview if they needed financial support, and said they didn't at the time; Amir Taaki's group received 20k for hackathon in Toronto; Unsystem raised 50k for their work on Darkwallet; they have 15 BTC sitting in the multisig account and it keeps growing everyday.
unexecuted

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:35:07 PM

I'm not trying to discourage supporting Unsystem, far from it if you look at my post history I'm almost bordering on a fanboy; I just think unsubstantiated claims of their financial state from an outside perspective is unproductive.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 09:38:20 PM

bitcoin. Regulate this.’”[/b]
am hoping they change that ruling soon.

My 2c

I accept that Amir Taaki is a good coder and probably contributed a lot in the beginning of Bitcoin. But his ideologies does not fit with a regulated society where common man wants to live peacefully. His jumping into the station w/o ticket is one example of that. He is a supporter of neo-liberalism in a destructive way. Look at this video itself in the article. He is standing with a gun to promote Dark Wallet !!! WTF man ? Can u imagine Gavin/Wladimir standing with a gun to promote Bitcoin ? U think u can convince your dad or even your office boss about +ves of Bitcoin with a gun ? The money he gained from Bitcoin has actually screwed his brain and at the moment he is just a spoiled brat.

Dark Wallet wont move forward with this type of a person in the leadership. Even if he can get popularity... it would just be a matter of time that Govt will silence him. Winning people does NOT need a gun. He is NOT Satoshi.

yes, they have a destructive way of thinking. on the one side there is NSA and others who steal all secrets and give a shit on peoples life and on the other side there is Amir. two extremes.

unexecuted

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:41:28 PM

If anything, I think their focus would be on raising funds and helping Ross Ulbricht's defense fund given how outspoken both Cody and Amir have been about the matter. (Brave New Books from Austin also threw their hat in the ring.)
unexecuted

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:47:54 PM

With that said, I really wish the Unsystem would address the matter of rewards on Indiegogo, but that delay could be due to their busy schedule leading up to both Dark Wallet and the Dark Market.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:52:09 PM

It's a bad idea to openly proclaim your altcoin's purpose is money laundering and black market use though it obviously makes for good marketing. Should they one day wind up in court on bogus charges of laundering conspiracy the overzealous fed prosecutors will use all these quotes to drive nails into their coffin like they did Weev. I just hope these guy's aren't stupid enough to launch a black market themselves to bootstrap their coin because they will be under microscope.

I don't see a use for this altcoin, not when you can just use coincontrol with bitcoin to eliminate those change addresses giving away metadata, unless I missed something and it has other anonymity features.
singularity

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:52:17 PM

I have to say, this is exactly what I thought when I saw the darkwallet stuff.

Bitcoin seems to be doing EXTREMELY well right now under the circumstances. In my opinion (so far) most governments have actually acted pretty reasonably. Sure they don't really know what to make of it yet and have made some slightly uninformed judgements a few times but overall I think we should be pretty respectful of how things have been handled. Especially when you consider how disruptive this technology is. There are few technologies appearing right now that are literally going to change people's everyday lives like mobile phones and the internet did. Bitcoin is one of the few, if not only, technologies that can a direct impact on how governments, organisations and businesses work.

All that considered, why are people like Amir Taaki sticking a big middle finger up to the governments who have so far been relatively reasonable? Compromise and change IS going to have to happen in bitcoin and it's community if we want it to move from a fridge to a mainstream technology. Few people would disagree that bitcoin should go mainstream but I don't here many people in the community agreeing that some sacrifices are going to need to be made to make that happen. I think people often forget that they are not the average person or even not every person. Most of the people in the world don't give a shit about anonymity or deregulation. All bitcoin needs to be to them is a way of paying for things easier than paypal or a credit card. That's it. This is the thing it is going to make bitcoin big. It is THE payment method of the 21st century because it is simultaneously a transaction method and a form of currency. It is not anonymous and this is not even a feature that most people in the world will care about. There are going to be bitcoin banks, bitcoin loans, bitcoin investments, bitcoin stocks, bitcoin taxes. I think a lot of the community do want this but I think it is a sacrifice that they will need to make if bitcoin is ever to become truly mainstream.

This opinion will likely be unpopular with the community as a whole, I am sure.
unexecuted

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:54:11 PM

Other than that the guys have been doing a sterling job and are certainly responsible for the most exciting progress in the community in a sea of PR friendly software name changes, Chinese fud, State regulations and countless Goxxing headlines!
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 09:54:36 PM
Last edit: May 24, 2014, 10:16:08 PM by Beliathon

That's the wrong question. Try this for a thought experiment:

"Government regulators - Taunting both legitimate Bitcoin entrepreneurs and organized professional criminals.. hmmm is it really a good idea?"

NO, it's a fucking horrible idea. Now I'm no criminal, but still...  "You fuck with my money, I fuck with your life." is my attitude toward government officials.

It all comes down to violence in the end, doesn't it? That's capitalism for ya.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
gtraah (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 10:02:25 PM
Last edit: May 24, 2014, 10:21:44 PM by gtraah

LOL that video makes it seem he actually wants BTC to be driven underground,actually I think he does, as he has publicly stated that his an anarchist , or am I wrong?.... I mean there is one thing I don't get about anarchists, they want--- absence of government and absolute freedom of the individual. Which would be AWESOME in a perfect world, but are we in a perfect world, where all humans are all happy , and trustworthy?

How can this be in this type of world?  What If I am a crazy person and I just happen to have 100000s followers as well as guns, and I LOVE POWER... Hmmmmm Hey guys, lets take over this city I want to dominate and in-slave 100 females so they can do sexual acts on my command.... There we have a nutcase running havoc in society , yes then we will have people rising up against this and then we have civil war, this will happen over and over ...

I just dont get it.... I don't agree with the governments in  MANY aspects and they are corrupt as FK... but if they were not there I think the world may actually become worse as hard as that is to say. This world is just FKD. And as bad as they are I guess at least for the time being there is order around which gives you some level of safety when you go to bed at night, well in most countries.

Whats to stop someone , from shooting someone else in the head because they dislike them, well in an anarchists society I guess that allowed , its total freedom, no rules.   Undecided    Or is there different levels of anarchy , some like "certain" rules and some don't like any? lol I mean the meaning of anarchy is "a state of disorder" that alone just sounds wrong.
gtraah (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 10:13:58 PM
Last edit: May 24, 2014, 10:32:52 PM by gtraah

I have to say, this is exactly what I thought when I saw the darkwallet stuff.

Bitcoin seems to be doing EXTREMELY well right now under the circumstances. In my opinion (so far) most governments have actually acted pretty reasonably. Sure they don't really know what to make of it yet and have made some slightly uninformed judgements a few times but overall I think we should be pretty respectful of how things have been handled. Especially when you consider how disruptive this technology is. There are few technologies appearing right now that are literally going to change people's everyday lives like mobile phones and the internet did. Bitcoin is one of the few, if not only, technologies that can a direct impact on how governments, organisations and businesses work.

All that considered, why are people like Amir Taaki sticking a big middle finger up to the governments who have so far been relatively reasonable? Compromise and change IS going to have to happen in bitcoin and it's community if we want it to move from a fridge to a mainstream technology. Few people would disagree that bitcoin should go mainstream but I don't here many people in the community agreeing that some sacrifices are going to need to be made to make that happen. I think people often forget that they are not the average person or even not every person. Most of the people in the world don't give a shit about anonymity or deregulation. All bitcoin needs to be to them is a way of paying for things easier than paypal or a credit card. That's it. This is the thing it is going to make bitcoin big. It is THE payment method of the 21st century because it is simultaneously a transaction method and a form of currency. It is not anonymous and this is not even a feature that most people in the world will care about. There are going to be bitcoin banks, bitcoin loans, bitcoin investments, bitcoin stocks, bitcoin taxes. I think a lot of the community do want this but I think it is a sacrifice that they will need to make if bitcoin is ever to become truly mainstream.

This opinion will likely be unpopular with the community as a whole, I am sure.

Yes, this is what I don't get, if Bitcoin isn't going to go mainstream, as it is already on the fringes and legal to buy real stuff with.. which is the reason its worth what it is, of course as well as being awesome new invention & innovation, but no matter what it is... I mean,  if it truly dives underground, even as far as being illegal to use in mainstream. I wonder how much our bitcoin will be worth against mainstream $ ? You know the stuff that you use to buy food with as well as make a living.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 10:14:06 PM

I don't see a use for this altcoin, not when you can just use coincontrol with bitcoin to eliminate those change addresses giving away metadata, unless I missed something and it has other anonymity features.

Um, it is not an alt-coin. It is an alternative Bitcoin client.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 11:42:11 PM

Um, it is not an alt-coin. It is an alternative Bitcoin client.

oops I had it confused with something else
lol their site "For a security issue, we have abandoned the wordpress" but apparently forgot how to deploy basic TLS.
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=darkwallet.is

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 11:52:39 PM

I just dont get it....  lol I mean the meaning of anarchy is "a state of disorder" that alone just sounds wrong.

Chaos = a state of utter confusion or disorder; a total lack of organization or order.

Anarchism = is a political philosophy that advocates stateless societies often defined as self-governed voluntary institutions based on non-hierarchical free associations.

There can be plenty of laws and regulations in an anarchistic society as long as the non-aggression principle is respected. Anarchism isn't proposing a Utopia but just suggesting that we could be happier, healthier and have a higher standard of living by not directly supporting corruption and criminals.

Bitcoin is Anarchism and Agorism in practice. Decentralized, voluntary, and regulated, not by violence and coercion, but by peaceful cooperation.

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 12:08:52 AM

I wonder how much our bitcoin will be worth against mainstream $ ? You know the stuff that you use to buy food with as well as make a living.

How much is a govcoin going to be worth when Bitcoin is stripped of all the basic fundamentals and reason for existence.

From a tactical perspective I empathize with those feeling squeamish about poking the large psychopathic bear. Anarchists like Amir and Cody are trying to make people think and stir up some interest and controversy to support alternative implementations and development of Bitcoin like Libbitcoin. Bitcoin has much to gain from a more robust community and diversity of implementations. This will ultimately strengthen bitcoin and insure that it grows in value.

Gavin praised the dark wallet and supports other implementations of Bitcoin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC-E9LVjzJo

gtraah (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 12:47:59 AM
Last edit: May 25, 2014, 01:06:50 AM by gtraah

I just dont get it....  lol I mean the meaning of anarchy is "a state of disorder" that alone just sounds wrong.

Chaos = a state of utter confusion or disorder; a total lack of organization or order.

Anarchism = is a political philosophy that advocates stateless societies often defined as self-governed voluntary institutions based on non-hierarchical free associations.

There can be plenty of laws and regulations in an anarchistic society as long as the non-aggression principle is respected. Anarchism isn't proposing a Utopia but just suggesting that we could be happier, healthier and have a higher standard of living by not directly supporting corruption and criminals.

Bitcoin is Anarchism and Agorism in practice. Decentralized, voluntary, and regulated, not by violence and coercion, but by peaceful cooperation.

Don't get me wrong, I like THe concept of Dark wallet as well, I don't think anyone said Darkwallet was shit, read some of the commenta.. I personally think there may be better ways to publicize it, that's all.

I thought Anarchism came from Anarchy? As per Dictionary >>>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

mid 17th century: from Greek anarkhos ‘without a chief’ (see anarchy) + -ism; later influenced by French anarchisme .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And If you look up Anarchy it does not mean anything good according to the dictionary. That is where I got the "State of Disorder" quote from, look below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
anarchy
ˈanəki/Submit
noun
a state of disorder due to absence or non-recognition of authority or other controlling systems.
"he must ensure public order in a country threatened with anarchy"
synonyms:   lawlessness, absence of government, nihilism, mobocracy, revolution, insurrection, riot, rebellion, mutiny, disorder, disorganization, misrule, chaos, tumult, turmoil, mayhem, pandemonium More
antonyms:   government, order

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meaning or no meaning , We know they all want what EVERY human wants , a political free society , free from hierarchy and corruption.. and as I said before because we don't live in a perfect world where people actually WILL live happily together .... I guarantee if there is no law or order somewhere or leadership of somesort... someone and his followers will rise up and try to become big boss, now what if that someone was a pure nutcase who liked to torture people? in the history of humanity, its happened over and over, leaders arise from no where, and people follow... this is even before governments like today... you can go all the way back before Noah's time even it was happening...

Yes Bitcoin is free from hierarchy and centralism but this is one aspect of humanity... the tool we use to trade goods & service with.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3235

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 12:50:55 AM
Last edit: May 25, 2014, 01:01:15 AM by odolvlobo

I accept that Amir Taaki is a good coder and probably contributed a lot in the beginning of Bitcoin. But his ideologies does not fit with a regulated enslaved society where common man wants to live peacefully and blissfully ignorant.

FTFY

I hope someday that civilization advances to the point where people finally grow up and don't need gods or government to tell them what to do.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
GogglesPisano

Activity: 68

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 12:53:25 AM

I for one cannot wait for DarkWallet to come out. You never know what ridiculous schemes gubmints might try to come up with in the future to look back on blockchain transactions in some lame attempt to squeeze money out of unpaid taxes on purchases (like how NY or NJ goes after people who ordered cigarettes in the mail). The more privacy the better!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: