Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:40:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Have You lost any bitcoins to the great black hole
No, I consider myself lucky - 43 (72.9%)
No, actually some of my coins were stolen - 4 (6.8%)
yes, <5 - 5 (8.5%)
yes, <10 - 0 (0%)
yes, <20 - 1 (1.7%)
yes, <40 - 1 (1.7%)
yes, <80 - 0 (0%)
yes, <160 - 3 (5.1%)
yes, too many... - 2 (3.4%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Daily Speculation Poll] :: The great black hole sucked up 250 BTC today  (Read 2120 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2012, 06:03:48 AM

I have about 5 btc on a corrupt usb drive  Sad

see this thread for the story about 250BTC lost https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=62310.0

"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 06:05:18 AM

This is why we back things up!

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 06:32:42 AM

Someday, when quantum computing becomes an everyday thing, those BTC will be re-discovered.  Of course, they will also likely be worthless.  And neutron-annihilation type weapons that make nukes look like pea-shooters will also ... blah blah blah, far future blah

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2012, 06:36:56 AM

Someday, when quantum computing becomes an everyday thing, those BTC will be re-discovered.  Of course, they will also likely be worthless.  And neutron-annihilation type weapons that make nukes look like pea-shooters will also ... blah blah blah, far future blah

yes and the worlds traffic problems will be solved by the invention of the flying car  Wink

Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 06:43:42 AM

yes and the worlds traffic problems will be solved by the invention of the flying car  Wink

I just happened to remember about this so-called "neutron annihilation" power, that's supposedly on par with or surpass anti-matter -- matter annihilation as far as power output.  I was introduced to the concept by a book I read about a year ago:  "The Physics of Christianity" by Frank Tipler.  It's a sequel to his (much better, IMO) masterpiece "The Physics of Immortality".  The second one reads like crazier than any science fiction I've ever read / seen / heard...  Like Da Vinci Code + Star Wars + Star Trek TNG on crack+meth+steroids+LSD+DMT.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
coin_toss

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 07:19:17 AM

I've got so many backups there would have to be a second big bang for me to lose any coins to the black hole
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 10:50:04 AM

I just happened to remember about this so-called "neutron annihilation" power, that's supposedly on par with or surpass anti-matter -- matter annihilation as far as power output.  I was introduced to the concept by a book I read about a year ago:  "The Physics of Christianity" by Frank Tipler.  It's a sequel to his (much better, IMO) masterpiece "The Physics of Immortality".  The second one reads like crazier than any science fiction I've ever read / seen / heard...  Like Da Vinci Code + Star Wars + Star Trek TNG on crack+meth+steroids+LSD+DMT.

Best review I've ever read. I'll check it out.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2012, 12:03:10 PM

I've got so many backups there would have to be a second big bang for me to lose any coins to the black hole
Same for me, I've got multiple backups even for my mobile wallets which don't have a lot of BTC in them. The poll sucks because not losing coins to the black hole has nothing to do with being lucky, it's a question of making stupid decisions and not making stupid decisions.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 08:17:58 AM

I have about 5 btc on a corrupt usb drive  Sad

see this thread for the story about 250BTC lost https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=62310.0

I am curious as to how many bitcoins are lost in a given year.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 12:23:05 PM

Back when I was mining for a bit, the pool apparently let itself get SQL injected. WTF, SQL injection in 2011, seriously? I don't remember them admitting or denying it, but the passwords or their hashes were leaked in one way or another, which is a massive blunder either way. Then again, Gox also let that happen, so I guess Bitcoiners just didn't care about security then. That, or the pool just took the BTC themselves, I can never tell the difference.

www.bitcoinpool.com <-- debtor of ~2.8 BTC who never intends to pay. It didn't take long until I noticed, so the losses are on a level I can live with. Tongue

Destroyed BTC... I think someone locked 0.1 BTC into one of those crazily unstable Schildbach Wallets on one of these vendor-controlled phones without backup capability. I've been able to restore them when I made the same mistake with around 100 BTC. I had properly made a backup after generating the private key for Bitcoin. Yay for discipline, and yay for Nexus One vs the TPM-legacy crapware that are >90% of mobile phones. Cool

Bottom line: Stolen < 3 BTC, endangered but recovered ~= 100 BTC, destroyed by people I know = 0.1 BTC. I think that's an acceptable record so far.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: