Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 12:49:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating an altcoin that will never perform well on GPUs/FPGAs/ASICs  (Read 1813 times)
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1088

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 05:55:18 PM
Last edit: May 28, 2014, 12:56:43 AM by tromp

What I can say is this:

1. X11 is trivial to obliterate via FPGAs and ASICs, and will be obliterated in the near future if X11 coins continue to appreciate.

2. Designs that focus on branching also play towards the strengths of ASICs and FPGAs.  ASICs and FPGAs evaluate branches in parallel.

3. When engineering ASICs, going from most expensive to least: RAM > I/O bandwidth* > Compute
  * I/O bandwidth is really a proxy for RAM, think DDR.

ANY design that relies on difficulty to code rather than cost to manufacture WILL fall to ASICs/FPGAs (i.e. X11).

Recommendations:

Scrypt was a good start. Scrypt does the following things well:

1. Focuses on the economics of ASICs and FPGAs (i.e. RAM > Compute)

Hashcash with a memory bound hash function like Scrypt is a dead-end for CPU-friendly PoWs because verification time is linear in memory usage, which prevents the use of the large amounts of memory required to present a serious obstacle to ASICs.

The ultimate CPU-friendly coin will have a PoW that takes GBs to prove, but can be verified instantly.

optimiz3

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 07:45:10 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2014, 10:22:14 PM by optimiz3

Hashcash with a memory bound hash function like Scrypt is a dead-end for CPU-friendly PoWs because verification is linear in memory usage, which prevents the use of the large amounts of memory required to present a serious obstacle to ASICs.

The ultimate CPU-friendly coin will have a PoW that takes GBs to prove, but can be verified instantly.

This implies memory is/becomes cheaper on ASICs than on general purpose machines.  ASICs are prevalent now because the opposite is true - compute is cheaper.

Until evidence indicates otherwise, I disagree.  A democratized PoW enables search and verification to be the same person.

That said, I think a memory-trapdoor function would be nice to have.  But it doesn't seem aligned with the requirements of a good PoW, and there isn't a good body of vetted peer-reviewed work in this area.
buckminer

Activity: 52

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:48:42 PM

I would get rich if we could make my coffee maker into a miner, that thing is running all the time. You guys are going to figure it out and I think it will be useful to have a coin that anyone can mine and feel like they are actually contributing to the network and the crypto economy. I would love to have a miner that runs in my car while I am driving, no extra power cost, and I have a 30 min commute each way. On long trips I could make a chest full of coin. Keep moving forward.
mill0601
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:08:17 AM

your best bet is Mediterranean coin it uses sha256 asics but they have to be met with an equal amount of cpu power to mine so you don't end up with any big whales plus its actually profitable to mine with block erupter usb's

❘|❘ ICONOMI Fund Management Platform
LINK TO ICO | LINK TO DISCUSSION
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 01:48:18 AM

I would love to have a miner that runs in my car while I am driving, no extra power cost

That would be called magic.
davis25811

Activity: 22

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 03:36:39 AM

If you managed to develop a coin profitable enough, someone somewhere can design hardware for the task given the financial motivation and backing...then they can take preorders until their machines lose value enough to ship em out.
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 03:40:04 AM

It's called get a job coin. To mine it you have to do a human proof of work for 8 to 12 hours a day. The proof of work is tested by the work manager and if you hashed it successfully you will generate a block of coins on average every 14 days. It will even automatically convert to the currency of your citizenship and deposit right to your bank account. It is 100% gpu and asic resistant.
ilic

Activity: 535
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 03:49:01 AM

so, what exactly would be the point to yet another alt coin?

does it offer anything at all that 100 other alt coins cant already?  would any organisation choose to accept this 'jump' coin over BTC or LTC or DRK etc?

i'd put your energy into something more useful, you seem like quite an intelligent person, use it for something that can benefit the uptake of crypto currencies instead of creating another destined-to-fail alt coin.

Good free and easy Bitcoin Faucet thingy: https://freebitco.in/?r=9293711
Do not invest in HYIPs people, however you can put some into iCenter: https://t.me/icenter_bot?start=j5t25s58148
Relnarien

Activity: 399
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 04:51:51 AM

Hi!

Being annoyed by the fact that all altcoins are at least mineable on a GPU (since my GPU sucks and my FPGA is quite low-end), I thought about creating an altcoin that will never perform well on a GPU, FPGA or ASIC. So I thought: "What is it that CPUs can do much better than GPUs?" and the answer of course is "Conditional branching!".

So my idea is basically this:
Many coins already chain multiple hash algorithms together, but they do so in an order that is known beforehand. This means it's no problem for a GPU and even on an FPGA/ASIC, you can just chain it. Instead, I want to make the next hash algorithm to use dependent on the output of the previous hash function. This can be done by giving each hash function a number and determining the number of the next hash function to use using (hash % num_hashfn).

So why is this hard for a GPU/FPGA/ASIC? Let's start with the GPU:
GPUs are good at processing lots of data using the same operations, but as soon as you need to branch, their performance is laughable. Since the next algorithm to use is different for each block you try (except for the first hash function to use, as that should be dependent on something like the last hash of the last block in the block chain), you are not using the same operations on a lot of data - you are using different operations on a lot of data and need to look at the output of the last hash to determine which code to execute next. GPUs suck at this, so much that it's commonly recommended to do 10 calculations at once and check at the end which one you need and then throw away the other 9.

Ok, so this is hard on GPUs. But why is it hard for FPGAs/ASICs? Well, there are two options you have to implement this on an FPGA/ASIC. Let's start with option A: Option A is to use a state machine and do the hash depending on the state. At the end, you set the state to the next hash function to use. This requires a flip flop to store the state and a flip flop needs one cycle to change. So you can only do one hash for each cycle, which means you would need to have a really high clock rate. Affordable FPGAs and ASICs usually have quite low clock rates and thus, this would significantly slow them down.
Option B is to use a lot of mux and demux. The output of (hash % num_hashfn) can be given as input to a number of demuxes which then give the wires to the correct hash function module and at the end of the circuit use a mux to select the output from the right hashing functions. However, that would make the circuit extremely complex, making it not fit many times on an FPGA and thus only allow very limited parallelism. The same is true for an ASIC, which would need an extremely large die.

As you can see, this algorithm works quite good on a CPU which has many GHz and is good at branching (well, compared to the others, that is), but is slow on a GPU and either slow or very expensive on an FPGA/ASIC.

So what do people think of this? Is this something people are interested in and I should implement? Any feedback on the design?

// Edit: Possible names for this would be BranchCoin or JumpCoin Wink.

I think combining various principles employed by hashing algorithms that stayed CPU-only for a decent amount of time combined with heavy usage of conditional branching would suit your purpose well. I read that Primecoin's use of integers is doing extremely well at being CPU-only, but I haven't really reviewed the actual algorithm to verify that. Protoshares' Momentum algorithm looked interesting as well. Consecutive rounds of hashing with different algorithms and large memory requirements were also effective for some time.

A quick implementation would be something like:

Hash1(input + nonce1) -> a
Hash2(a) -> b
if(nonce1.ToInt) is even { Hash3(input + a + b) -> c } else { Hash4(input + a + b) -> c }
Hash4(Hash3(Hash2(Hash1(c.ToInt.ToString)))) -> d
d must be lower than current diff

Hash1(input + nonce2) -> e
Hash2(e) -> f
if(nonce.ToInt) is even { Hash3(input + e + f) -> g } else { Hash4(input + e + f) -> g }
Hash4(Hash3(Hash2(Hash1(g.ToInt.ToString)))) -> h
h must be lower than current diff

next hash based on (block number ^ 2) % 4
Hash(d + h) must be lower than current diff

Or something...

That's prolly a bad algorithm now that I look at it. But something like that, with more branches and more memory requirements.
optimiz3

Activity: 37

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 11:09:06 PM

Hi all - I've posted an idea for an ASIC/FPGA restant PoW here.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 12:14:34 AM

then it will be a cpu botnet coin....................

FUD first & ask questions later™
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: