Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:20:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Two factor?  (Read 5394 times)
vite
Legendary

Activity: 1018
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:28:00 PM

we should use bitcoin related 2FA

https://github.com/nanotube/supybot-bitcoin-marketmonitor/blob/master/GPG/local/bitcoinsig.py

easy to implement and only requires storing public bitcoin addresses.

theymos hasn't responded here for a few days. We will know after he respond. But I don't whether he will use this instead of Google Authenticator. Is there any other site, which uses this 2FA? AND HOW does this work, if only public Bitcoin address is needed?

~~MZ~~

Only the owner of the bitcoin address can sign the message. Giving an extra layer of control for the user and less responsibility for the administrator. Since the administrator does not have to provide and keep private keys for the google authenticator.

I am Vite

signed message:

HBJwP1/CBWs8LkrL/kPLjBN4ktqP7r348eQvN2UpSB3UsUHkW50zm+RbMErVDxfEwX2Y51QMA3Sz+z59dJBG+jE=

bitcoin address;

1BxzA3KCoynGMAmxobcFcUH7GGnqz1Eewe

Now you can use bitcoind, electrum, etc to verify the signature. or the script I linked above.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 12:33:59 PM

https://github.com/nanotube/supybot-bitcoin-marketmonitor/blob/master/GPG/local/bitcoinsig.py

theymos hasn't responded here for a few days. We will know after he respond. But I don't whether he will use this instead of Google Authenticator. Is there any other site, which uses this 2FA? AND HOW does this work, if only public Bitcoin address is needed?

~~MZ~~

Only the owner of the bitcoin address can sign the message. Giving an extra layer of control for the user and less responsibility for the administrator. Since the administrator does not have to provide and keep private keys for the google authenticator.

I am Vite

signed message:

HBJwP1/CBWs8LkrL/kPLjBN4ktqP7r348eQvN2UpSB3UsUHkW50zm+RbMErVDxfEwX2Y51QMA3Sz+z59dJBG+jE=

bitcoin address;

Now you can use bitcoind, electrum, etc to verify the signature. or the script I linked above.

That would be great! So if it is implementing, I would suggest a bot to prevent re-use of same signature again because if we have posted a message in BT, then the user can bypass this 2FA by copy-pasting the signature. Roll Eyes

~~MZ~~

vite
Legendary

Activity: 1018
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:48:07 PM

~~MZ~~

I am Vite

signed message:

bitcoin address;

That would be great! So if it is implementing, I would suggest a bot to prevent re-use of same signature again because if we have posted a message in BT, then the user can bypass this 2FA by copy-pasting the signature. Roll Eyes

~~MZ~~

Actually you need a random phrase generator that changes on every login. So no copy pasting can work.
goozman96

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 02:14:32 AM

This is a great idea. It's much better to use something bitcoin related for 2FA versus relying on Google. Hopefully theymos considers this.

BTC: 19DKtsdGfQyFzNiEze9KuFQrWGiLDvg6F1 | LTC: LbV6UGyjYbVP49NvQFmuAnkADcaFYvNagK | NMC: NDCdMJmTmGH54Cezmo3CwSxAC7grAoZJbj
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2014, 03:44:56 PM

Another vote for Bitcoin 2FA.

Maybe placing an option in your profile that lets you use different 2FA types (Google, sign with BTC address, etc.).

/edit

Nevermind, found it in the forum design feature list:
Fancy Authentication

In addition to normal password authentication, the forum should support various kinds of of alternative authentication. At least password auth, email verification, secret questions, OpenID, PGP, OpenVPN (automatic creation of subnets + IP source verification), and Bitcoin address signing should be supported, with multiple allowable credentials for each auth type. Users should have the option of requiring any combination of these auth types. Like "pgp OR (password AND OpenID)". And users should be able to require that changes to some or all auth types as well as the required combination of types not take effect for some configurable number of days. This allows for different types of recovery methods.

Also, it should be possible to limit the access for each auth type. So one type might be able to only read, but not post, etc. If the Web interface uses the same API that is exposed publicly, then these permissions can be in the form of allowed API commands.

It might be nice to make this functionality into a self-contained library that other sites can use.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: