Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:43:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining in Amazon Cloud?  (Read 11910 times)
k (OP)

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 05:49:29 PM

Hi,

I'm wondering is it possible to mine using the Amazon cloud services?

Maybe would not be economical if it's possible but there is a free tier - so could possibly use that for free and get some free coins by mining.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/#pricing

Free Tier*

As part of AWS’s Free Usage Tier, new AWS customers can get started with Amazon EC2 for free. Upon sign-up, new AWS customers receive the following EC2 services each month for one year:

750 hours of EC2 running Linux/Unix Micro instance usage
750 hours of Elastic Load Balancing plus 15 GB data processing
10 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Storage (EBS) plus 1 million IOs, 1 GB snapshot storage, 10,000 snapshot Get Requests and 1,000 snapshot Put Requests
15 GB of bandwidth in and 15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across all AWS services

Is it possible?
What do you think?
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 06:05:39 PM

I guarantee there is a clause in their ToS that prevents 100% CPU usage for extended periods, in the free tier.  Somebody will notice if their EC2 nodes are doing nothing but bitcoin Smiley

[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2011, 06:21:07 PM

Is it possible?
What do you think?
Yes, it's possible, but they use inferior nVidia Teslas and it would be insanely more expensive compared to buying your own rig.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
k (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 08:41:34 PM

Is it possible?
What do you think?
Yes, it's possible, but they use inferior nVidia Teslas and it would be insanely more expensive compared to buying your own rig.

but if you only used the free tier and somehow limited it so that it wouldn't break the ToS.
Interesting what sort of kHash/s could be generated using the free tier.
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 09:16:54 PM

Hi,

Maybe would not be economical if it's possible but there is a free tier - so could possibly use that for free and get some free coins by mining.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/#pricing

Free Tier*

As part of AWS’s Free Usage Tier, new AWS customers can get started with Amazon EC2 for free. Upon sign-up, new AWS customers receive the following EC2 services each month for one year:

750 hours of EC2 running Linux/Unix Micro instance usage
750 hours of Elastic Load Balancing plus 15 GB data processing
10 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Storage (EBS) plus 1 million IOs, 1 GB snapshot storage, 10,000 snapshot Get Requests and 1,000 snapshot Put Requests
15 GB of bandwidth in and 15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across all AWS services

Is it possible?
What do you think?

Tried it.

Free tier will give you ~3-4 MHash/sec after the first minute or two.
k (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 09:42:17 PM

Tried it.

thanks for the feedback.

Do you get that ~3-4 MHash/sec 24/7?
Not a lot really I guess.

If my maths is correct at the current difficulty of ~92000 you would only make on average ~0.03 - 0.04 BTC per day with this setup (assuming getting 3-4Mhash/sec 24/7)

thanks again.
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2011, 12:50:28 AM

I tried to mine on the free tier and it throttled down to 20-30 khash/s (useless) and lagged up my ssh session.  Now i'm just running bitcoind with 8333 forwarded to help the network.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 09:12:47 PM

Tried it.

thanks for the feedback.

Do you get that ~3-4 MHash/sec 24/7?
Not a lot really I guess.

If my maths is correct at the current difficulty of ~92000 you would only make on average ~0.03 - 0.04 BTC per day with this setup (assuming getting 3-4Mhash/sec 24/7)

thanks again.

Woops, please allow me to re-phrase that. You will get about 3-4 KILO hashes per second, not mega, so like a few thousand hashes per second, that's it - on the free tier.

It's because you are only allowed "bursted" CPU cycles on the free tier. In other words... you can use the free tier kind of, for a short while, and then get throttled within 1-2 seconds. Can't really complain for free though.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 03:19:39 PM

I want to know how to do this on Amazon cloud.

Is this available in U,the amazon cloud?

If so How do I signup in UK for Amazon cloud?

Has Amazon kicked or banned anyone from using the free tier of service for bitcoin mining?or is it allowed but throttled?

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
shotgun

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 09:48:51 PM

I want to know how to do this on Amazon cloud.

Is this available in U,the amazon cloud?

If so How do I signup in UK for Amazon cloud?

Has Amazon kicked or banned anyone from using the free tier of service for bitcoin mining?or is it allowed but throttled?

Did you not read the above posts? CPU mining in the cloud is useless. Please don't even bother.

<luke-jr> Catholics do not believe in freedom of religion.
flyswatta

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 11:06:38 PM

kefir wrote up a step by step howto (with acheived hashrates, cost, etc) for GPU and CPU mining in the amazon cloud (you can also search for 'ec2'):  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=8405.0
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 12:21:50 AM

only relevant text quoted below:

2. It's not worth it. The Amazon servers cost more than the bitcoin earnings.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: