Poll
Question: Please, read first post and answer
Yes - 16 (88.9%)
No - 1 (5.6%)
I don't care - 1 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Motocoin-should we increase block mining speed to make playing more interesting?  (Read 1234 times)
WilliamLie2 (OP)

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:31:16 AM

There are many complains that with lower target time game becomes less interesting, you just press F6 many times to find simpler level. To fix that we can increase block mining speed, current target is 1 block in 5 minutes but we can set it to 1 block in minute and decrease reward per block to 20 coins.
There will be some block after which new rules will become active. I will update client to use new rules. Also I wil send alert, so that everyone with old client will see warning saying that they should update their client.

What do you think? Should we do this?
jiefangqian

Activity: 229

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:38:30 AM

Yes.This is good idea.I can play again.

XBC:B7jR5zX8pBpyjyrcMMiYCQyLVLC6YZjFYh
bitrain

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:13:49 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2014, 11:25:37 AM by bitrain

It is reasonable. 5 minutes is way too much for the map of this size. I would also love to see 10 coins per block instead of 20 (or random value from 10 to 20) ).

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
ICO starts 1st Nov.
◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

████████████████████████ PLAYKEY: DECENTRALIZED CLOUD GAMING PLATFORM ████████████████████████
█████████████ Getting lost in the sea of cryptocurrencies? Choose Playkey token! █████████████
Website | BitcoinTalk | Slack | Twitter | LinkedIn | Medium | Facebook | Reddit | Telegram

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
ICO starts 1st Nov.
◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
Vz

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 12:37:55 PM

NO! If we will have only a minute to solve level with ~45 sec on timer, you can do only one or two mistake before some one win and restart your "lucky" level..
coinclown

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 12:51:17 PM

The point is... Right now the system tries to make you spend at least 5 minutes to find a level potentially solvable in 20 sec when the comfort time is about one minute. With 1 minute blocks you will not have that many effortless tries as now, but we will have 5 winners in 5 minutes instead of one. So, your winning chances will increase but you will have less chance to take a jackpot... It's more like pool mining vs solo mining.
wtnm

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 03:38:51 PM

Another idea
1 block=5min
everyone who wins within one block (5 min) gets reward: 100MOTO divided on the number of winners
example: block 5345 starts from 16:35 to 16:40
In this block 6 players made 10 wins: 1 player made 4 wins, 1 player made 2 wins, other 4 players made 1 win, so 1-st receive 40 MOTO, 2-nd 20 MOTO, other 4 get 10 MOTO each.
WilliamLie2 (OP)

Activity: 204

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 04:09:57 PM

Another idea
1 block=5min
everyone who wins within one block (5 min) gets reward: 100MOTO divided on the number of winners
In this block 6 players made 10 wins: 1 player made 4 wins, 1 player made 2 wins, other 4 players made 1 win, so 1-st receive 40 MOTO, 2-nd 20 MOTO, other 4 get 10 MOTO each.
If it was usual game with central server then something like this would be possible, but this is cryptocurrency, so there are some limitations in what we can do. What you propose is very complicated for p2p system. Sounds like P2Pool but built in cryptocurrency itself.
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 08:12:59 PM

NO! If we will have only a minute to solve level with ~45 sec on timer, you can do only one or two mistake before some one win and restart your "lucky" level..
So you want the time to decrease to only 18 seconds? Because that's where we are going with the 5 minute block target right now.
Jacqul

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:59:18 PM

There are many complains that with lower target time game becomes less interesting, you just press F6 many times to find simpler level. To fix that we can increase block mining speed, current target is 1 block in 5 minutes but we can set it to 1 block in minute and decrease reward per block to 20 coins.
There will be some block after which new rules will become active. I will update client to use new rules. Also I wil send alert, so that everyone with old client will see warning saying that they should update their client.

What do you think? Should we do this?

Thanks for Motocoin WilliamLie2, it has been great watching the launch and how things developed.
I think  it's a good idea to change the reward since it will make more people play for now. We will inevitably get to a stage where the "normal" person won't invest the time to play the game due to too much competition and difficulty, but that can not be avoided.

Effectively this is a massive multiplayer competitive online game with real life rewards. It is a weird thought that everytime I nab a coin there are people all around the world gnashing their teeth and kicking their chairs (just like I do when I am about to get a coin and the level changes!)
What frustration! What elation when you get one!

Great work.
PonyBoy

Activity: 313

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:02:57 PM

Another idea
1 block=5min
If it was usual game with central server then something like this would be possible, but this is cryptocurrency, so there are some limitations in what we can do. What you propose is very complicated for p2p system. Sounds like P2Pool but built in cryptocurrency itself.

Actually a pool is feasible. Have the game pull work from a user designated server instead of the wallet. Everyone who trys to solve the map during any block gets a cut of the block even if they didn't finish, its split between anyone attempting to solve the map with an added bonus to the one who solves it first. We just need the game to report even if they didn't fully complete the level so that the pool knows they were playing and knows to pay them.
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 10:38:13 PM

Another idea
1 block=5min

Actually a pool is feasible. Have the game pull work from a user designated server instead of the wallet. Everyone who trys to solve the map during any block gets a cut of the block even if they didn't finish, its split between anyone attempting to solve the map with an added bonus to the one who solves it first. We just need the game to report even if they didn't fully complete the level so that the pool knows they were playing and knows to pay them.
But then bots can just press random buttons and get a reward.
Jacqul

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:45:32 PM

Another idea
1 block=5min

Why does anyone want to make a pool for this? Why are we even discussing this?

The way it works at the moment I think WilliamLie's solution will get more people into the game which is a good thing.
After a time this will get saturated and those who feel it is worth their time will play and those who can spend their time doing something else (like making hamburgers, or being a doctor, building a house) will do that and earn money and buy the coins instead.
The players in the end won't do it because its "fair" or fun, they will do it because it is an income and protects the coin. Don't forget the purpose of the game in the end is to act as the crypto for this cryptocurrency.
PonyBoy

Activity: 313

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:00:35 PM

Another idea
1 block=5min

But then bots can just press random buttons and get a reward.

Not if the pool was built properly. The payout could be proportional to how close you made it to the coin before someone solved it.

Another idea
1 block=5min

Why does anyone want to make a pool for this? Why are we even discussing this?

The way it works at the moment I think WilliamLie's solution will get more people into the game which is a good thing.
After a time this will get saturated and those who feel it is worth their time will play and those who can spend their time doing something else (like making hamburgers, or being a doctor, building a house) will do that and earn money and buy the coins instead.
The players in the end won't do it because its "fair" or fun, they will do it because it is an income and protects the coin. Don't forget the purpose of the game in the end is to act as the crypto for this cryptocurrency.

A pool would bring in players, think about it, if you have a chance to get paid and only have to get near the coin wouldn't you play on that pool? Its better than trying all day and not getting a single coin.
Jacqul

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:23:30 PM

A pool would bring in players, think about it, if you have a chance to get paid and only have to get near the coin wouldn't you play on that pool? Its better than trying all day and not getting a single coin.

The system will regulate itself.
With 20 coins reward and shorter block time more people will already play than now. How many people do we need playing the game to make it work? 100 ?1000 ?10 000 ?100 000
People will need to sleep and eat and will stop playing of it gets too frustrating which means the number of players will keep fluctuating and self regulating.

If 1000 ppl are all playing the game and a block is found every minute then only a max of 60 of those will get a coin/hour.
Which means that the people who have anger issues will smash their PC screen.
Now we only have 200 ppl playing. Which means that maybe everyone can find a coin every 3 hours. But this is in the future where the coins are worth $100 each. So then I decide this is not worth my time, I can go back to being a prostitute because I was making more money and it was also less frustrating, I need less coordination. This leaves only 50 or so people playing and they are all happy because the game just got easier and less competitive! Then the sun rises over China and suddenly 1 mil players get on their PC's with super fast reflexes and nerves of steel. Now the rest of the world gives up and goes to bed. Tomorrow we will try again.
lousk

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:35:33 AM

I don't understand this thread. How is it easier to mine with less time for each block? Winning is easy enough already.
Jacqul

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 05:13:15 AM

I don't understand this thread. How is it easier to mine with less time for each block? Winning is easy enough already.

The block time target is 5min at the moment. To try and get the games hard enough so ppl only solve it every 5 min the game is shortening the time available to play. At the moment 26 secs. This is working and blocks are found slower now than 2 days ago when they were found every minute or so.
At block 8000 we are now changing to a shorter expected block time 1 min likely instead of 5 min. This means the game won't keep shrinking the clock to try and retard players. This emans that people will have more time to solve, making it easier and so blocks will be found every minute. I expect that the clock will hover around 30 secs.

If you think it is easy now then you are one of the lucky ones. Ride and make coins!
lousk

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 05:22:32 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2014, 05:41:54 AM by lousk

The block time target is 5min at the moment. To try and get the games hard enough so ppl only solve it every 5 min the game is shortening the time available to play. At the moment 26 secs. This is working and blocks are found slower now than 2 days ago when they were found every minute or so.
At block 8000 we are now changing to a shorter expected block time 1 min likely instead of 5 min. This means the game won't keep shrinking the clock to try and retard players. This emans that people will have more time to solve, making it easier and so blocks will be found every minute. I expect that the clock will hover around 30 secs.

If you think it is easy now then you are one of the lucky ones. Ride and make coins!
Lucky? Nah, I'm an Elasto Mania player. Thanks for explanation, that clears it.

Although... with 30sec limit there were lots of unskilled luck finishes. 26sec is actually a bit challenging and you can't just flop down to the coin however.
Jacqul

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 06:01:29 AM

Lucky? Nah, I'm an Elasto Mania player. Thanks for explanation, that clears it.

Although... with 30sec limit there were lots of unskilled luck finishes. 26sec is actually a bit challenging and you can't just flop down to the coin however.

I think with shorter time you need more luck. You have to get a map that is possible to finish and that depends on luck. With more time you would be more reliant on skill. The race would be to finish your map the fastest rather than hope for a map that kind of finishes itself.

Look at replay 4871 for example.. basically a straight road to the coin. The only skill there is not completely messing up the lucky map you got.
Jacqul

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 06:05:56 AM

4875 was quite good.

I'm a bit confused though I got 4870 2h ago and we are only at 4875 now? Is there a way to see how many ppl are playing and what the average block time find is?
hxka

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 09:13:19 PM

I don't see how it's going to help. The time limit will go down, just like it does now — it's obvious since the difficulty is the time limit. The game will only become even more frustrating, since level will reset in ~1 minute instead of ~5.

There is no way to solve the problem. No matter how you implement difficulty, some of the randomly generated levels will always be easy even on higher difficulties, causing difficulty to go higher and higher. Proof-of-play doesn't work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: