Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:59:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unconfirmed Transaction  (Read 1201 times)
DeanGrimes (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 04:17:10 PM

I have a LG G2 running Version 3.4.9  I have the 'This payment should become spendable in a few minutes.' text greyed-out on my app. https://blockchain.info/address/1E9jrjzBuccF1aup3wx1Ga8SDf47M8DdwE 'Unconfirmed Transaction!' in red... Help (thanks)!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 04:22:41 PM

-snip-  I have the 'This payment should become spendable in a few minutes.' text greyed-out on my app.

Which app? Did someone send you coins? How long ago? Did that person pay a transaction fee?

https://blockchain.info/address/1E9jrjzBuccF1aup3wx1Ga8SDf47M8DdwE 'Unconfirmed Transaction!' in red... Help (thanks)!

Cant reach blockchain currently, but "should become spendable" is probably the way your app tells you that the transaction is not confirmed yet.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Winterfrost

Activity: 620
Merit: 135

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 04:25:19 PM

I have a LG G2 running Version 3.4.9  I have the 'This payment should become spendable in a few minutes.' text greyed-out on my app. https://blockchain.info/address/1E9jrjzBuccF1aup3wx1Ga8SDf47M8DdwE 'Unconfirmed Transaction!' in red... Help (thanks)!

It hasn't been included in a block yet, so it's unconfirmed. It may take a little while because there was not a fee included.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 04:26:29 PM

The tx is high priority but without any fee.  Miners generally devote a small portion of the next block to the highest priority tx even with no fee so it will eventually be included in a block.  Depending on how many other free tx are waiting it might be the next block or sometime in the next hundred blocks.   In the future if you want prompt confirmation it would be recommended to include a small tx fee with the tx.  Paying 0.1 mBTC per KB will almost always get you in the next block unless there is some other issue with the tx.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1301

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 06:43:28 PM

You just have to give it time.  It looks like it has confirmed now.
yonce

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:39:23 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2014, 05:19:08 AM by yonce

The tx is high priority but without any fee.  Miners generally devote a small portion of the next block to the highest priority tx even with no fee so it will eventually be included in a block.  Depending on how many other free tx are waiting it might be the next block or sometime in the next hundred blocks.   In the future if you want prompt confirmation it would be recommended to include a small tx fee with the tx.  Paying 0.1 mBTC per KB will almost always get you in the next block unless there is some other issue with the tx.

Thanks for the info! Didn't really know all about it. Not sure even why its a possibility to have a transaction without a transaction fee - since I am now unfortunately waiting for an unconfirmed transaction

STAY AWAY: rockwell,btc-arbs,bitcoin-trader - I've been playing HYIP's and have a near flawless record over the last year. Made over 1000% return last year. Play HYIP's safely and smart! Stay away from the referral whores on this forum, especially from those putting out their referral links in their signatures. They have no other interest but to profit from you.
KaChingCoinDev

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 01:35:37 PM

To speed it up, you should pay at least a .0001 BTC fee, maybe .0005 BTC.

Even if you do .0005 BTC, it can take a while to confirm.

Yesterday, it took an hour for a miner to find a block. The blockchain was "frozen" for that hour, but then confirmations started rolling in.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 02:38:12 PM

To speed it up, you should pay at least a .0001 BTC fee, maybe .0005 BTC.

Even if you do .0005 BTC, it can take a while to confirm.

Yesterday, it took an hour for a miner to find a block. The blockchain was "frozen" for that hour, but then confirmations started rolling in.

A fee over .0001 does not make the transaction any faster. As long as you pay the default fee per kbyte you are fine. Everything else is like a tip for the miners.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 03:02:48 PM

A fee over .0001 does not make the transaction any faster. As long as you pay the default fee per kbyte you are fine. Everything else is like a tip for the miners.

This is not necessarily true.

Miners (or mining pools) can choose which transactions they will confirm.  Some miners may feel that the orphan cost of increasing the size of their block is more than 0.0001 BTC per kilobyte, and may therefore choose not to confirm transactions unless they pay a slightly higher fee.  As such, anyone paying the 0.0001 BTC per kilobyte fee may find that they have to wait for a more generous miner (or pool) to solve a block.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 03:29:38 PM

-snip-

Miners (or mining pools) can choose which transactions they will confirm.  Some miners may feel that the orphan cost of increasing the size of their block is more than 0.0001 BTC per kilobyte, and may therefore choose not to confirm transactions unless they pay a slightly higher fee.  -snip-

Thanks for the correction. I was aware that pools can choose which transactions they accept. I did not think that any pool would consider the default fee to low though. I guess the threshold would usually not be common knowledge, since there is no mention of it in the usual lists1. Is there any pool out there that actually considers .0001 per KB to low?

[1]:
- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104664.0
- https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 03:50:17 PM

-snip-

Miners (or mining pools) can choose which transactions they will confirm.  Some miners may feel that the orphan cost of increasing the size of their block is more than 0.0001 BTC per kilobyte, and may therefore choose not to confirm transactions unless they pay a slightly higher fee.  -snip-

Thanks for the correction. I was aware that pools can choose which transactions they accept. I did not think that any pool would consider the default fee to low though. I guess the threshold would usually not be common knowledge, since there is no mention of it in the usual lists1. Is there any pool out there that actually considers .0001 per KB to low?

[1]:
- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104664.0
- https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools
I don't know of any major pool which requires a fee higher than 0.1 mBTC per KB.  In most scenarios (unless the tx has other issues) a fee of 0.1 mBTC will be sufficient for inclusion in the next block.   If the next block is "full" (limit on size set by miner) then it is possible one would need to wait for the following block.   Paying 500% of the "min fee" however is almost certainly just a waste of money.

The situaiton will become more complicated in the future.  v0.90 allows relaying txs with a lower fee of only 0.01 mBTC per KB.  To avoid fragmenting the network it doesn't allow creating txs with a fee that low when a fee is required.  Once a majority of the network is using v0.90+ a new version of the client will be released that also allows creating tx at that fee level.

Will miners accept the 90% reduction in min fee?  Will some of them insist of keeping the current fee?  Will some adopt a fee between 0.01 mBTC and 0.1 mBTC?  It will be interesting.

It would be nice if at least all the major pools publicly posted their tx inclusion policies.  If you know even the policies of 60% or so of the hashrate you can make pretty good estimates on what fee amount is required based on how quickly you need a first confirmation.
gondel
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:55:39 PM

I had a similar problem before. Last year around september i was playing some dice game gambling and then when i withdraw my money the transaction appeared in my multybit wallet with question mark and was saying it is not being confirmed for several weeks. For one month i had two amount of BTC in my account and this transaction was with status not spendable... Then one day when i opened my wallet it was just gone . O well! Didnt understand how this happened.
BR
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 05:26:48 PM

I had a similar problem before. Last year around september i was playing some dice game gambling and then when i withdraw my money the transaction appeared in my multybit wallet with question mark and was saying it is not being confirmed for several weeks. For one month i had two amount of BTC in my account and this transaction was with status not spendable... Then one day when i opened my wallet it was just gone . O well! Didnt understand how this happened.
BR

You should have contacted the dice game and explained to them that the transaction was not confirming.  As soon as it dissappeared, you should have contacted them and asked them to re-send it.

If they are a legitimate business, they should have honored the request, since they failed to properly send you the funds.

If they were a scam, then they probably would have ignored you, but you'd be no worse off than you currently are.
KaChingCoinDev

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 01:01:29 AM

Has this been fixed?
silvestar
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 03:25:04 AM

Has this been fixed?

- There is really nothing need to be fixed in this case.
- If you check the link in OP, you will see the tx has got over 900 confirmations already.
- Or you could read post #5 to realize the tx has been confirmed already on May 26.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: