Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 11:33:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to safely store bitcoins?  (Read 1957 times)
Demlmann (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 08:25:12 PM

Hey guys, I bought a few bitcoins lately and am now wondering what is the safest way to store them? Is it enough to store them on a multibit-wallet, with the private keys backed up on a few usb-sticks? Or should I use Armory or something? Or even a paper-wallet?

I just want to be ~99% sure not to lose my bitcoins, it's not much, but worth a lot to me  Wink
DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 08:26:33 PM

Maybe split them into 2 pieces and 1/2 on armory and 1/2 on printed into waterprooof foil sealed paper wallet Smiley
Anduck
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072

quack

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 08:55:15 PM

If you want to just hold the bitcoins, or majority of them, I suggest you make a paper wallet. Paper wallets are easy to secure and when done correctly they're fully offline. There are some good guides on how to properly make a secure paper wallet. I've not used Armory but I've heard it's a very good solution too. Armory is especially good if you need to access the coins frequently.

harlenadler

Activity: 430

Agent of Chaos

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 08:57:08 PM

The safest way to store bitcoins is using "cold storage" -- storing them on a type of media that does not connect to the internet. So, a CDR, flash drive, paper wallet, USB, etc. Here is some good information:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_set_up_a_secure_offline_savings_wallet
ShameOnYou

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:00:30 PM

I set up a wallet.dat on my offline computer. I made copies of the wallet.dat on 3 USB drives, sent myself the bitcoin address in a text file (so I could send coins directly to cold storage), then deleted the wallet.dat from the computer. Voila! On the USB drives and nowhere else. I keep them in 3 different physical locations.
Finchy

Activity: 315

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:20:44 PM

I keep my wallet.dat files offline and boot them on a comp I know to be safe.
tatu

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:32:28 PM

Offline is always the way to go. Back them up on usbs and cds. Keep a little amount in a bloclchain.info wallet to spend or something.
rajko00

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 10:25:50 AM

offline ''cold'' storage on 2-3 places (computes, usb stick, dvd...)

NEM COIN - FUTURE IS HERE
Soappa

Activity: 569
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:31:45 PM

Hey guys, I bought a few bitcoins lately and am now wondering what is the safest way to store them? Is it enough to store them on a multibit-wallet, with the private keys backed up on a few usb-sticks? Or should I use Armory or something? Or even a paper-wallet?

I just want to be ~99% sure not to lose my bitcoins, it's not much, but worth a lot to me  Wink

Paper wallet correctly generated, with BIP 38 encryption is the safest IMO.
Using multibit is alright as long as your machine is free of malware and hacking. Smiley

Brooker

Activity: 274

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:40:26 PM

All of the options you suggested are good, but paper wallets are the most risky one I think. They can easily be damaged or become unreadable.
Soappa

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:54:33 PM

All of the options you suggested are good, but paper wallets are the most risky one I think. They can easily be damaged or become unreadable.

You should always make a few backups, no matter you are using paper wallet, bitcoin-qt or multibit. Smiley
You could then store them in several different safe places. Smiley

Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 06:19:41 PM

this is one of the main reasons that i don't like paper wallets. i do use them, but i never use them as the only form of media that i back up a wallet with. too much risk there.
arif029

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 06:58:05 PM

Can anyone tell me why should I buy bitcoins, have there any guarantee for future ? I am interested about Gambling Advertising Network.
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 07:54:53 PM

If you have a considerably amount of btc, i mean 5 or more, i would be considering using a paper wallet, electronic devices are not always safe..
here is an example of paper wallet

Gimmelfarb

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 07:55:00 PM

Can anyone tell me why should I buy bitcoins, have there any guarantee for future ? I am interested about Gambling Advertising Network.

of course there is no guarantee. but there is a finite supply and a very strong network supporting it, so it is likely bitcoin will be worth much more than it is now. i have no idea what the Gambling Advertising Network is....
Soappa

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 08:04:23 PM

of course there is no guarantee. but there is a finite supply and a very strong network supporting it, so it is likely bitcoin will be worth much more than it is now. i have no idea what the Gambling Advertising Network is....

There is also no guarantee that your fiat will have the same purchasing power in the future. Wink

If you check his post history, you will find that he is promoting that "Gambling Advertising Network" in all of his posts.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=212160;sa=showPosts

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 08:44:27 PM

only paper wallet, its like safe deposit box
my tactic, make 3 copies of it, store in safest places only
thats it, im using only sites from signature for buying/storing btc
Gimmelfarb

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 08:51:49 PM

just be sure to make multiple back-ups of your wallets, preferably in multiple forms of media (e.g. paper wallet AND flash drive), and store them in *different* places. you wouldn't want all your back-ups in your house, and then your house burns down and..... poof. no more bitcoins for you. Undecided
DubFX

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 09:37:34 PM

only paper wallet, its like safe deposit box
my tactic, make 3 copies of it, store in safest places only
thats it, im using only sites from signature for buying/storing btc

Uhm beware of posting your private qr your funds may get stolen it happen on TV already if i'm not mistaken. Someone just scanned the QR and violla!
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 09:51:42 PM

I just want to be ~99% sure not to lose my bitcoins, it's not much, but worth a lot to me  Wink

well... you should read for example this thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=549603.0

you will find out what seems to be best for you.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: