Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:19:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shutting down cryptocurrencies  (Read 2367 times)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:54:05 PM

Paper money is constantly evolving to prevent its use in criminal activities. Anti-theft devices are created to thwart thefts. But, paper money has reached its technological peak. We need cryptocurrencies. Governments recognize this.

Bitcoin is like discovering nuclear power. Instead of developing clean, efficient tools that will make everyone's life better, we have people starting an arms race. Who do they think they are? They think they are Boris and Natasha raging against the machine? If the Secret Squirrel Brigade does manage to succeed in developing a system that is completely anonymous and is used for real acts of terrorism, guess what? They will shut it down, simply because they can.

Thankfully, there are cooler heads developing FB apps, ATMs, paper wallets, and other tools normal people can use. VCs are looking for ways to adapt current business models to use Bitcoin.

Here's my challenge to the black hats out there that think they can "show the man." Develop tools that prevent double-entry book-cooking. Develop triple-entry accounting tools. Develop transparent books that support fair-trade and non-military manufacturing. Develop tools that make peace profitable instead of supporting secrecy, deception, and anonymous power. Stop weaponizing cryptocurrencies!

tl;dr - I keep hearing people say "this wallet will show the authorities that they can't stop us." Well, yes they can. They can block your ports and eliminate net neutrality. Go ahead, give them a reason to do that.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:37:07 AM

How can they shut it down? Will they go to the world bit coin headquarters and unplug it? Will they kill the head of bit coin?   

You cannot shut down a decentralized network.

I do think you make some good points, but the no one can decide to simply kill crypto currencies. 

cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:39:12 AM

How can they shut it down? Will they go to the world bit coin headquarters and unplug it? Will they kill the head of bit coin?   

I do think you make some good points, but the no one can decide to simply kill crypto currencies. 
Yes, they can portalize the internet. They are trying to do it now.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:40:08 AM

"They" is often referred to as a single entity but it is a many headed beast who don't act coherently. Further "they" can do only so much as the power they are given. If they overplay their hand they end up losing a lot.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:44:40 AM

And the maidsafe guys have 500 developers creating the next decentralized web.

What, do you worry?

cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:53:45 AM

And the maidsafe guys have 500 developers creating the next decentralized web.

What, do you worry?
It's not the network I'm worried about. Maidsafe can be shut down simply by filtering the wires. I'm worried about weaponizing cryptocurrencies that gives the governments reasons to filter.

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:55:03 AM

black hats audits are always good in long term
i will approve this
Satan666

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

The love of fiat is the root of all good

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:01:56 AM

Paper money is constantly evolving to prevent its use in criminal activities. Anti-theft devices are created to thwart thefts. But, paper money has reached its technological peak. We need cryptocurrencies. Governments recognize this.

Bitcoin is like discovering nuclear power. Instead of developing clean, efficient tools that will make everyone's life better, we have people starting an arms race. Who do they think they are? They think they are Boris and Natasha raging against the machine? If the Secret Squirrel Brigade does manage to succeed in developing a system that is completely anonymous and is used for real acts of terrorism, guess what? They will shut it down, simply because they can.

Thankfully, there are cooler heads developing FB apps, ATMs, paper wallets, and other tools normal people can use. VCs are looking for ways to adapt current business models to use Bitcoin.

Here's my challenge to the black hats out there that think they can "show the man." Develop tools that prevent double-entry book-cooking. Develop triple-entry accounting tools. Develop transparent books that support fair-trade and non-military manufacturing. Develop tools that make peace profitable instead of supporting secrecy, deception, and anonymous power. Stop weaponizing cryptocurrencies!

tl;dr - I keep hearing people say "this wallet will show the authorities that they can't stop us." Well, yes they can. They can block your ports and eliminate net neutrality. Go ahead, give them a reason to do that.

Absolutely.  Duly elected government officials, bankers, and bureaucrats are the only ones who can be trusted to operate in secrecy.  Complete and total surveillance for everyone else.
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:03:16 AM

Local governments can shutdown cryptos in their own country. Shutting down cryptos globally will be impossible. Cryptos can evolve. Devs will find ways to circumvent banning.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:03:51 AM

Absolutely.  Duly elected government officials, bankers, and bureaucrats are the only ones who can be trusted to operate in secrecy.  Complete and total surveillance for everyone else.
Maybe so, but why make it easier for them?

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:10:03 AM

i think Gavin referred to this is a "poking the bear" strategy.

Probably unwise, although I doubt you'll convince anyone
who is already minded that way, but I don't fault you for trying.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 01:12:00 AM

I keep hearing people say "this wallet will show the authorities that they can't stop us." Well, yes they can. They can block your ports and eliminate net neutrality. Go ahead, give them a reason to do that.

Where the fuck have you been for the last decade? Corporate power has been trying to corrupt internet neutrality for a long fucking time.

Read the news, dipshit. These people are our enemies, you don't pull punches. You don't treat them as your masters - that's the mentality of a slave. Are you a slave? I'm not.

TL;DR - Help fight for liberty, social justice, and truth or shut the hell up and get out of the way. This shit is too important for you defeatist, coward assholes to be spreading your cowardly FUD.

I don't care if you are a donater, hero member, or Satoshi fucking Nakamoto himself, don't preach cowardice on my fucking forum. Got it?

NO PEACE WITHOUT JUSTICE. WEAPONIZE EVERYTHING!

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:17:21 AM

TL;DR - Help fight for liberty, social justice, and truth or shut the hell up and get out of the way. This shit is too important for you defeatist, coward assholes to be spreading your cowardly FUD.

You completely missed the point. Bitcoin is already anonymous if you are careful.

You don't know it, but you are supporting terrorism.

Beliathon

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 01:18:12 AM

Actually, I don't pay taxes to the United States of War Profiteering, so I'm one of the few Americans NOT supporting terrorism.

Your thread title is fear-mongering asshole bullshit, and I despise you for it. Change it.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:19:54 AM

Actually, I don't pay taxes to the United States of War Profiteering, so I'm one of the few Americans NOT supporting terrorism.
I suppose you are one of those libertards that think you should be able to own plutonium.

Beliathon

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 01:21:36 AM

I suppose you are one of those libertards that think you should be able to own plutonium.
I'm a social anarchist, I hate liberals ALMOST as much as I hate conservatives and people who make shitty fear-mongering, attention-whoring thread titles like you. GTFO.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:23:07 AM

I just got one question Beliathon.

Why the f*ck are you using Obama
as an authority figure in your meme?

I mean, its funny...but still.

If you're gonna go apeshit on cbeast,
at least be consistent in your philosophy.

Beliathon

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 01:26:13 AM

Why the f*ck are you using Obama as an authority figure in your meme?
To piss you off. Did it work? My goal is to make everyone around me as furious as I am, so we can actually get off our collective asses and fix this planet we are trashing with capitalism.

Seriously though all you black hats, don't pull any fucking punches. These people have done everything in their power to make us into slaves-who-think-they're-free, and judging by the average borderline-retard politically-ignorant historically-amnesiac American I meet, they've done a really fucking fine job of it.

GIVE THEM NOTHING, TAKE FROM THEM, EVERYTHING!

Satan666

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

The love of fiat is the root of all good

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:26:24 AM

Absolutely.  Duly elected government officials, bankers, and bureaucrats are the only ones who can be trusted to operate in secrecy.  Complete and total surveillance for everyone else.

It's already a simple matter for those who have been selected to operate in secrecy.  Sure, an occasional traitor like Edward Snowden will slip through the cracks every once in a while, but fear not, those cracks are now being sealed.
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:28:48 AM

I'm a social anarchist, I hate liberals ALMOST as much as I hate conservatives and people who make shitty fear-mongering, attention-whoring thread titles like you. GTFO.
You still haven't refuted my argument. Easy to use anonymous cryptocurrencies enable terrorism and serve no honest purpose. If you think your government is somehow anti-liberty or anti-justice, then you are either delusional or North Korean. I suggest you GTFO of that country.

Seriously, truly anonymous easy to use money can be used for kidnapping, extortion, and assassination in ways that gold, diamonds, and cash cannot. There is no drop to follow. There is no wire to trace. I can't think of any useful purpose for such technology that Bitcoin cannot already provide.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: