Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:45:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do bitcoin deal with "lost" coins  (Read 926 times)
Geir (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 10:22:25 AM

There are a finite amount of bitcoins, so what happens when someone "loses" there coins. I mean due to hard drive failure and so on. This is not often but over time this means coins are lost for ever??

TOP Network   Enable real-world business with Blockchain 4.0 technology  |
–––––––   Whitepaper   |   Twitter   |   Facebook   |   Linkedln   |   Telegram   |   Medium  –––––––
|   No Transaction Fee   |   300K TPS   |   50 Million Active Users   |
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 10:29:45 AM

Theoretically, it's not the coins which are lost, but the key. Although chances are as close to zero as one could imagine, you could accidentally generate a key which holds "lost" coins.
In reality, less coins increase the value of the other coins. Like when there is suddenly 10% less gold in existance, the value of the other 90% goes up.

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
Geir (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 10:31:47 AM

Yes I understand this, but there is no safeguard?? Like Putting the coins back in to the community when they have been unused for lets say 2 years.

–––––––   Whitepaper   |   Twitter   |   Facebook   |   Linkedln   |   Telegram   |   Medium  –––––––
jake262144

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 10:35:07 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2012, 02:50:58 PM by jake262144

Yes I understand this, but there is no safeguard?? Like Putting the coins back in to the community when they have been unused for lets say 2 years.
Uhmmm... how about putting your dollars back in to the community when they have lain unused in a bank vault for two years?

There is absolutely no problem with an amount of coins being lost.
Since bitcoins are virtually infinitely divisible, the problem of price increase of the remaining coins is moot.
Geir (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 12:11:49 PM

Ok thanks, and relax I'm not suggesting I'm just asking if this safeguard exists.

jake262144

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 02:52:29 PM

Ok thanks, and relax
Roger that, I may have been a tad harsh. Previous post has been updated.
Anillos

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 01:10:57 AM

There are a finite amount of bitcoins, so what happens when someone "loses" there coins. I mean due to hard drive failure and so on. This is not often but over time this means coins are lost for ever??
Keep some backups of your wallet file and remember the password if It is encrypted.

Aquí puedes conseguir pequeños ahorros sin mucho esfuerzo: http://www.bitvisitor.com/?ref=1PWNAGEZ3fSM8QevUavdd2iZ9F5jkp1QHZ
Consigue algo más viendo vídeos o haciendo pequeñas tareas en Bitcoinget.com: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178692.msg2509190#msg2509190
¿necesitas un dibujo vectorial, un esquema, un diagrama...? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=183268.0
Dansko

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 01:12:02 PM

Once a bitcoin is lost it is lost forever. There is no way to safely handle the issue. If you return bitcoins after 2 years what happens to people that are saving them or lost interest.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 03:19:46 PM

0/10 trolling.

wyager

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 12:41:23 AM

the bitcoin will be found again after a few 100 years.

Technically, this is correct. It might not even take that long. That is, as soon as Shor's algorithm is actually implemented, Bitcoin is no longer secure. But of course, that is a much bigger issue and not really related to this discussion.

To answer OP; lost coins/keys will cause deflation, which is good for people who already have bitcoins saved. Because bitcoins can be divided to very small denominations, there will probably never be an issue of too few coins.

OTC-WoT: 1BWF66DuVqBCSFksUgkLtdYmHucpBgPmVm
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: