Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:01:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should be perma-ban him?
Yes - 4 (36.4%)
No - 5 (45.5%)
Remove his ability to partake in any sort of signature campaign - 2 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vote for a permanent ban of Pobre?  (Read 648 times)
bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 07:27:13 AM

User profile here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=119420

He literally created a new account and started bitching about the staff here. I think the staff were just doing their jobs, and there's absolutely no reason they should be taking any heat / have to deal with the guy. (Thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=625540.0 )

Honestly, it seems as though he was spamming just for his signature campaign.

I think restarting him on a new account would really humble him down, and give him one more chance for a 'productive account'. If he were to abuse that chance, just block him entirely from the site (IP ban him). Maybe allow him to keep his Pobre account, but not allow him to continue on the signature campaign?

I'm not sure, but I believe that the staff are way, way, way too forgiving for this sort of attitude. I don't want power hungry / evil staff members, but at the same time -- being able to literally create an account insulting a staff member directly AFTER a ban is a really just being a pushover.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mobius7

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:12:59 AM

He already got his ban extended for ban-evading.
So, I am sure mods are watching him closely now, and may further extend his ban if needed. Wink

First i was banned for 7 days but after writing this thread i got banned for 14days

Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 08:51:08 PM

Maybe allow him to keep his Pobre account, but not allow him to continue on the signature campaign?

Not allowing him to participate within a signature campaign is purely at the discretion of the campaign owner. Usually they refuse to let people enrol, or at least pay out, to those with negative trust ratings.

bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 08:54:37 PM

Maybe allow him to keep his Pobre account, but not allow him to continue on the signature campaign?

Not allowing him to participate within a signature campaign is purely at the discretion of the campaign owner. Usually they refuse to let people enrol, or at least pay out, to those with negative trust ratings.

An administrator could very easily take away his right to have a signature on the site. Therefore, they would be unable to participate in any sort of signature campaign without being banned.

Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 09:03:11 PM

An administrator could very easily take away his right to have a signature on the site. Therefore, they would be unable to participate in any sort of signature campaign without being banned.

That's a harsher punishment than the one you suggested. As a member of the forum, he should be allowed to have a signature representative of his status.

If he is truly guilty of something then somebody on the trusted list should drop a negative trust until he cleans his act up. But I don't think that this topic is very productive - if the moderators want to do something about him, then they will.

The best you can do is report the posts you have qualms with to a moderator using the mechanism that is available. If he is a repeat offender then I'm sure that they will use their judgement and apply a ban accordingly. Clearly he has been around for quite some time now, so a perma-ban would be truly a last resort Papa Roach style.

bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 09:25:24 PM

That's a harsher punishment than the one you suggested. As a member of the forum, he should be allowed to have a signature representative of his status.

If he is truly guilty of something then somebody on the trusted list should drop a negative trust until he cleans his act up. But I don't think that this topic is very productive - if the moderators want to do something about him, then they will.

The best you can do is report the posts you have qualms with to a moderator using the mechanism that is available. If he is a repeat offender then I'm sure that they will use their judgement and apply a ban accordingly. Clearly he has been around for quite some time now, so a perma-ban would be truly a last resort Papa Roach style.

Not having a signature isn't that large of a deal. He would still be able to participate in forum activities and have a little text under where his avatar is. Could restrict him to newbie sized signature, where it's a single line, or remove his ability to link to external sites in his signature.

Personally, I think that he's just going to repeat his behavior when he gets unbanned, but try to be a lot more discrete about it.

u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 09:46:22 PM

Not having a signature isn't that large of a deal. He would still be able to participate in forum activities and have a little text under where his avatar is. Could restrict him to newbie sized signature, where it's a single line, or remove his ability to link to external sites in his signature.

Personally, I think that he's just going to repeat his behavior when he gets unbanned, but try to be a lot more discrete about it.

If the mods think there is no reason to permaban/restrict his forum experience even further, why do you even care so much about it? They've certainly dealt with far worse in the past than a mere pissed off spammer, so I don't think they're under such stress right that they need you to protect them from him. Tongue

In relation to him creating a new thread about the ban, that is not uncommon; provided you show some restrain (which he unfortunately didn't) and work towards understanding the reasons for the ban, I don't think you will automatically be penalized (ban evading is another story).
bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 09:57:40 PM

If the mods think there is no reason to permaban/restrict his forum experience even further, why do you even care so much about it? They've certainly dealt with far worse in the past than a mere pissed off spammer, so I don't think they're under such stress right that they need you to protect them from him. Tongue

In relation to him creating a new thread about the ban, that is not uncommon; provided you show some restrain (which he unfortunately didn't) and work towards understanding the reasons for the ban, I don't think you will automatically be penalized (ban evading is another story).

Him posting lowers the overall quality of posts on this forum; that's why I care so much. Moderators here are very, very lax about rules it seems, which is GREAT thing. However, sometimes, I think they are too lax.

It seems he created that thread after his ban was extended, so not only did he break a rule again, on another account, he came here and started to cry about getting caught red-handed for the 2nd time.

u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 10:39:50 PM

Him posting lowers the overall quality of posts on this forum; that's why I care so much. Moderators here are very, very lax about rules it seems, which is GREAT thing. However, sometimes, I think they are too lax.

It seems he created that thread after his ban was extended, so not only did he break a rule again, on another account, he came here and started to cry about getting caught red-handed for the 2nd time.

Yes, his poor judgement is not in question... but because you think his posts lower the overall quality of the forum, you decided to take it upon yourself to call for him to be punished above and beyond what even the people that had to put up with him think is adequate. Least I can say is, I hope you never become a mod/staff member in this forum. Tongue
bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:33:21 PM

Yes, his poor judgement is not in question... but because you think his posts lower the overall quality of the forum, you decided to take it upon yourself to call for him to be punished above and beyond what even the people that had to put up with him think is adequate. Least I can say is, I hope you never become a mod/staff member in this forum. Tongue

Technically, I had to put up with him -- I'm part of this community. I've seen him post before and thought the quality was absolutely horrible. Mostly just agreeing with the topic, and adding maybe one or two sentences.

Honestly, I don't think I could participate as a staff member anyway, I'm way too strict on rules. I'd be a horrible police officer as well to the people. Sure, I can be nice and friendly, but breaking the law is breaking the law. Even jay walkers gonna pay.

btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 03:55:00 AM

The mods know the rules better than we do. They know what punishments to give and for what reasons. They also know about anything that might have gotten deleted and such that we do not know about. Therefore, if the mods think a 2-week ban will do, let it stay. Voted no.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 06:16:54 AM

He correctly assumed it was me because, as it turns out, this isn't his first account to get banned. Explains the anger. I permabanned all of them (with the exception of the account that posted this thread)  and also informed Updown of his multiple accounts, hopefully he will be disqualified.

I think that this is the end of this thread. I'm not sure if Pobre is permabanned or not, but I'm glad that BadBear took some more action that what I originally thought.

Thread is locked.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: