Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:51:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Search for Satoshi  (Read 2633 times)
Automagic (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 12:02:08 PM

This may have already made the rounds, but I find it very interesting.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2011/10/race-unmask-bitcoins-inventors/43535/
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Automagic (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 10:36:06 PM

I feel like some posts disappeared from this thread.  Mods?

I wonder if they were removed for being off topic or because we were discussing he-who-shall-not-be-named.  Shocked

Well, they probably would have been considered off-topic.  Are posts actually removed in this forum because they discuss Satoshi Nakamoto?

Anyway, I thought the article was interesting because people are apparently actively trying to track down the true identity of Satoshi.  The reporter in that article was assuming he was British because of the spelling in his posts.  I bet he's laughing his ass off right now because he faked the British spelling.

bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2012, 10:57:10 PM

If the real Satoshi has published a lot of text under his real name, it should be possible to figure out who he's most likely to be using statistical analysis.

I'm surprised nobody has attempted this, a general solution to this problem would have some pretty cool uses in computer forensics.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2012, 01:31:47 AM

If the real Satoshi has published a lot of text under his real name, it should be possible to figure out who he's most likely to be using statistical analysis.

I'm surprised nobody has attempted this, a general solution to this problem would have some pretty cool uses in computer forensics.

Once there is a general solution similar (granted more advanced) tech could be used to obfuscate or even spoof the style of someone else.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2012, 02:29:45 AM

I first suggested this be done several months ago, and twice more after that. It has proven successful to link a old paper to William Shakespeare once.

~Bruno~
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2012, 01:15:33 PM

Well, they probably would have been considered off-topic.  Are posts actually removed in this forum because they discuss Satoshi Nakamoto?

No way. Off topic stuff will get deleted, or split off into a new thread if its substantial.   

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Automagic (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 07:36:51 PM

No way. Off topic stuff will get deleted, or split off into a new thread if its substantial.   

Thanks for the reply BadBear. I'll attempt to make sure posts are on topic.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2012, 08:27:08 PM

Somebody once made a guess once, hence offering up this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius

Coins retrieved from the island from the 3rd century BC feature dogs or stars with emanating rays, highlighting Sirius' importance.

Too bad the "In Search Of" series is no longer on TV. This would make a fine one hour episode with Leonard Nimoy hosting.

~Bruno~

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 11:19:28 AM

I first suggested this be done several months ago, and twice more after that. It has proven successful to link a old paper to William Shakespeare once.

~Bruno~

Won't work if "Satoshi Nakamoto" is another Nicolas Bourbaki  - if your training texts are written by many people, then they won't be much use if your algorithm is assuming it is one person.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 02:48:12 PM

~Bruno~

Won't work if "Satoshi Nakamoto" is another Nicolas Bourbaki  - if your training texts are written by many people, then they won't be much use if your algorithm is assuming it is one person.

There's an article that stated after gleaning all that Satoshi wrote, they were surprised to find so few grammatical errors. Two people with the same writing style and avoiding errors--maybe. Three or more--I lean toward no.
Automagic (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 09:38:47 PM

~Bruno~

There's an article that stated after gleaning all that Satoshi wrote, they were surprised to find so few grammatical errors. Two people with the same writing style and avoiding errors--maybe. Three or more--I lean toward no.

I agree.  I also read that his first post announcing bitcoins had American spelling and subsequent ones used the British spelling.  A gimmick?  Maybe Joshua Davis should have been looking for an American at that cryptology conference.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 10:53:05 PM

Come on people, didn't you see The Good Wife?  Jason Biggs is Satoshi, the tv told me so!

I have also read some articles that did analysis on his online posts to declare that 95% of his posts were not between the hours of midnight & 6am eastern standard time putting him on the North American East Coast. 

Obviously this assumes a tradition sleeping pattern which could be debateable.  However, I have a crazy sleep schedule & even I likely fall victim to the midnight to 6am traditional schedule at a 95% confidence level...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 11:04:18 PM

Come on people, didn't you see The Good Wife?  Jason Biggs is Satoshi, the tv told me so!

I have also read some articles that did analysis on his online posts to declare that 95% of his posts were not between the hours of midnight & 6am eastern standard time putting him on the North American East Coast.  

Obviously this assumes a tradition sleeping pattern which could be debateable.  However, I have a crazy sleep schedule & even I likely fall victim to the midnight to 6am traditional schedule at a 95% confidence level...

They (whoever they are) must think that we're getting close, for if you take a look at Satoshi's stat page https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=3;sa=statPanel you'll notice that his Posting Activity By Time is no longer available. It was there the other day. It's the easiest way (or was) to see if your statement is correct.

I want to formally open up an investigation as to why this is no longer available. Then again, I may get banned for wanting to open up an investigation. I formally retract my investigation. Carry on!

~Bruno~
doobadoo

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 12:06:35 AM

I honestly could care less who Satoshi is.   He obviously doesn't want to be known, and i respect that, and so should the community.  He/she gave us a great gift, and of course good folks like gavin continue to do the heavy lifting.

Let the mystery continue.  I think it adds to the allure of the Bitcoin anyhow.

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: